Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise Drone

http://soundcloud.com/vortex1-1/psydron3

Scroll down for how it was made (w/ pictures)
    Last edited by V0RT3X; 12-01-2012, 02:08 PM.
    -=| (Youtube)|(Bandcamp)|(Ambient Online Forums)|=-

See that's what I'm talking about!!! The classic V0RT3X drone right there...I love it! So rich in harmonics...so vibrantly texturized...it just builds so nicely! So now that you've released it, care to share how it was created? We'd love to hear! :D
    Synphaera Records
    Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
      See that's what I'm talking about!!! The classic V0RT3X drone right there...I love it! So rich in harmonics...so vibrantly texturized...it just builds so nicely! So now that you've released it, care to share how it was created? We'd love to hear! :D
      The project consists of 4 main tracks and 4 send tracks. I included screenshots of the actual plugins used from the actual project. I love my mac screenshot maker :D

TRACK 1 - Audio only
      I used Ableton Live as my main sequencer. With ableton live you get some samples in version 8, and one of the samples which you can find in library/samples/waveforms/specialfx/phantasm/dark monkey.aif was the first thing I used. I put into the clip launcher and stretched it using the repitch algorithm.

I then added reaktorfX to the track and loaded up the wonderful Lurker ensemble. I tweaked a existing preset called Vibron in lurker and then added
      a single instance of DCAM Bus compressor to this to bring out the dynamics a bit in lurker.

TRACK 2 - MIDI
      After that audio track was finished I added a new midi track and loaded up UHE Zebralette and used the Alantic Swell preset on it. I ran a 4 bar track of a single long D#2 note being looped and used this to just create the sound source. I then processed the output with Fxpansions Maul using it in the multi band setting and processed the mid band only. I applied a LFO to the Tone knob on Maul to give it a bit of movement. After this I added the UHE MFM2 to the chain and used the ambient02 preset and then moved on and added Fabfilter Volcano2 on the end of the chain.

TRACK 3 - MIDI

The main instrument on this is UHE ACE and I just used the preset called Earth Views on it. Similar to track 2 I just used a midi clip of D#1 in 4 bars loop itself.

TRACK 4 - MIDI

I used Reaktor 5 and loaded up Skanner XT in this. I copied the Midi track from Track 2 and put it on this for the drone. I fed the Preset TX123 sound into a instance of UHE Runciter.

This is pretty much it for the sound design, for the mixing setup I included a screenshot of the mixing to give you an idea of what I did. On the master setup i automated a instance of Fxpansion Etch to filter the output of everything slowly and then put the output through another instance of UHE uhbik-a

I didn't really do anything special to the sends, no automation nothing. (I will update with screencaps of those too) The plugins on the sends were Uhbik-G, Volcano2, Uhbik-F, MFM2

SENDS

Last edited by V0RT3X; 12-01-2012, 02:07 PM.

Comment

Updated with pictures from the actual project

Overall everything was pretty simple.

Comment

That is some really great info right there V0RT3X. It is completely different to the way I work. I use synth presets, maybe tweak them a little and add some minimal FX (reverb/EQ/Pan). I hope to do some guitar loop processing in a few months, so am on the lookout for ideas, although I will use hardware to produce the first-generation sound.
          Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
            That is some really great info right there V0RT3X. It is completely different to the way I work. I use synth presets, maybe tweak them a little and add some minimal FX (reverb/EQ/Pan). I hope to do some guitar loop processing in a few months, so am on the lookout for ideas, although I will use hardware to produce the first-generation sound.
            Hey seismic1 thanks! I actually get annoyed because I think it's too simple. It has always been a method for me that just works and allows me to create ambient drones really quite quickly.

For my doom series (Also on my SC) I used very similar methods but quite a lot more automation.

Comment

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here we go with the V0RT3X screenshots!! I love this stuff. :hug:

I'm going to start doing this (screen captures) of my synths and projects. What a brilliant way to share our techniques with each other!!!!

Oh and BTW, Ambient 2 is my FAVORITE preset on MFM2! :D :tu:

Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!
              Synphaera Records
              Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
                YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here we go with the V0RT3X screenshots!! I love this stuff. :hug:

I'm going to start doing this (screen captures) of my synths and projects. What a brilliant way to share our techniques with each other!!!!

Oh and BTW, Ambient 2 is my FAVORITE preset on MFM2! :D :tu:

Thanks for sharing!!!!!!!!!
                No problem! :D It's kind of fun to share this way, since it allows others to see my methods of madness. I am always open to any critiques so fire away! Sometimes my logic is not always the most clearest, but I like to think my work style has it's reasons.

I can't wait to see other peoples workflows on here!

Comment

Good work there...love how it came together...

Comment

Great movement in this!

And thank you for posting screen shots and your methods.

Comment

Very nice and screenshots are also cool

Comment

Very nice, deep drone.

Interesting to see your method too though mainly just makes me realise how much I want some fabfilter plugs in my folder.
                        Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by asteroid anxiety View Post
                          Very nice and screenshots are also cool
                          Thanks, and yes I am pretty fond of Shift-CMD-4 for taking custom screenshots on my macbook pro ;)

Originally posted by Dax IX View Post
                          Great movement in this!
                          Originally posted by Dax IX View Post

And thank you for posting screen shots and your methods.

Thank you for your kind words and taking the time to listen! I am actually now more motivated to do some more, and possibly some video tutorials too :D

Originally posted by GaryG View Post
                          Very nice, deep drone.
                          Originally posted by GaryG View Post

Interesting to see your method too though mainly just makes me realise how much I want some fabfilter plugs in my folder.

Fabfilter plugins are incredible! Seriously i used to think they were overpriced and ugly looking, but now that i use them I LOVE them.. they are absolutely incredible sounding and very intuitive as far as the modulation system goes.

Comment

Great idea to post workflow, thanks! This reminds me Uhbik is on my list to buy :-) May I ask what you think of Maul? I use (and like) etch...
                            www.soundcloud.com/phoenstorm

Comment

I really like maul, i think it is capable of some very great things! I often like using Maul on pad sounds because of the amazing amount of grit it can add. It also can add quite a boost in volume like any good saturator should when used in subtle doses. If you like the idea behind Etch but want something for distortion I would highly recommend you jump on Maul. It is definitely no ohmicide and won't give you oodles of presets that "Thrash" your audio signals, but what you get is a very HQ multi band distortion plugin that is very easy to use. I think it is definitely worth more than they want for it.

Comment

Working...
                              X