Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• phoenstorm release: NTRP006

hi,
    here are the two tracks from today's release. Hope you find something to like - let me know what you think!

(a) above the sky submerged
    (b) bathed in the radiance of night thought

https://soundcloud.com/nighttrippin/ntrp006-phoenstorm-a-above-the

http://soundcloud.com/nighttrippin/ntrp006-phoenstorm-b-bathed-in

cheers,
    -phoenstorm
    www.soundcloud.com/phoenstorm

love the sounds you are using - here my biases come out - I would much prefer these tracks without the drums (although I love the percussive bits in above the sky submerged). But I think that about almost every electronic / ambient track with drums To me the drums sound as though you are not confident the other material can stand on its own - but you should be, that material is easily interesting enough! Have you tried the tracks without the drums?
    Last edited by GregH; 10-17-2013, 06:57 PM.
    BANDCAMP https://greghooper2.bandcamp.com/

Comment

I like 'above the sky submerged' (like the title too :D) but I REALLY like 'bathed in the radiance of night thought'. When the drums came in, it was like being punched in the head (in a good way - can there be a good way? well you know what I mean...) And, for what it's worth: leave the drums in! Sure both tracks have enough sonic interest to stand up alone, but the drums do contribute - particularly to track 'b'. Besides Nighttrippin mentions Techno right after Ambient so drums are allowed (if not mandatory :biggrin.
      My new album is available now, here: https://thoughtexperiment.bandcamp.c.../supersymmetry
      Check out my (hopelessly out-of-date) SoundCloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thought_experiment

Comment

Originally posted by Thought Experiment View Post
        I like 'above the sky submerged' (like the title too :D) but I REALLY like 'bathed in the radiance of night thought'. When the drums came in, it was like being punched in the head (in a good way - can there be a good way? well you know what I mean...) And, for what it's worth: leave the drums in! Sure both tracks have enough sonic interest to stand up alone, but the drums do contribute - particularly to track 'b'. Besides Nighttrippin mentions Techno right after Ambient so drums are allowed (if not mandatory :biggrin.
        Hey, I'm an old person with significant personal investment in curmudgeonliness. I listen to classical music and know deep down that all drums are bad except these http://youtu.be/NCex9IjPNCo?t=1m43s
        Last edited by GregH; 10-18-2013, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Thank you to both of you I'm sitting on the fence in this matter...as evidenced in my music... as ThoughtExperiment said, I think for nighttrippin it was the right decision, and then I have to think about this, maybe create another project and then release different music under different names...sofar there was no need :-) but once again, thanks to both of you for checking it out! Edit: yes, these tracks had a sort of complicated history & went through lots of versions, no drums, different drums, etc. the drums in "above the sky submerged" are Geist, everything except the hi-hats in "bathed in the radiance..." is original sound-design. so i'm glad you lliked my "head-punching" kick ;)
          Last edited by phoenstorm; 10-19-2013, 01:37 AM.

Comment

Hey phoenstorm......leave them beatz alone :biggrin:

I love 'em
            Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

thanks to all of you . Somebody else commented elsewhere that he didn't like the lone kick-drum in "bathed in...", that it was somehow lost in the mix, so I'm glad I have drum afficionados here in ThoughtExperiment and Seismic1 :biggrin: This once again reminded me, how hard it is to come up with aesthetic criticism of our kind of music. I mean it's not like you can seriously complain that some guitar doesn't sound natural or that there is too much reverb on that..

Comment

Originally posted by phoenstorm View Post
                thanks to all of you . Somebody else commented elsewhere that he didn't like the lone kick-drum in "bathed in...", that it was somehow lost in the mix, so I'm glad I have drum afficionados here in ThoughtExperiment and Seismic1 :biggrin: This once again reminded me, how hard it is to come up with aesthetic criticism of our kind of music. I mean it's not like you can seriously complain that some guitar doesn't sound natural or that there is too much reverb on that..

I think aesthetic criticism is fine as long as you are really upfront with what your biases are - that makes it easier for the reader to think - yeah I'm like that so maybe this is / is not for me - or No, I' m not at all like this reviewer I think I'll give this a go.

Comment

sure, there's a fundamental honesty in not hiding your evaluative parameters, I agree absolutely! btw i didn't refer to you . I think criticism is absolutely necessary, as I'm no objective evaluator of my own stuff. On a different note, I'm slowly moving on from this project and I'm playing with new ideas and I'm very much looking forward to what you'll make of the next few tracks ;).

Comment

Originally posted by phoenstorm View Post
                    sure, there's a fundamental honesty in not hiding your evaluative parameters, I agree absolutely! btw i didn't refer to you . I think criticism is absolutely necessary, as I'm no objective evaluator of my own stuff. On a different note, I'm slowly moving on from this project and I'm playing with new ideas and I'm very much looking forward to what you'll make of the next few tracks ;).
                    not a prob - i was not taking anything personally

Comment

two wonderful sonic gems !!! on a interesting label !:thumbsup:

Comment

Hell yeh the drums in Above The Sky Submerged sound great and feel like they do belong in this track, especially what sounds like a closed/tight hat? that sounds like 123 .. 123 .. 123 (but in hihat sounding) ending around 2:03, anyway you get me drift, that particular percussive instrument feels just right, really like to what sounds like bells in a shipping port, but like they are being hit by a gust of wind, and that all favourite pad like sound slightly in the distance keeping the track moody, the water fx to fits in just nice, especially with them bells drifting in n out, nicely done.

The beginning to Bathed in the Radiance of Night Thought, immediately reminded me of an ambient compilation I used to listen to alot in the mid 90s called Feed Your Head, though I never knew what the label was, anyway you may have heard of it. I really like how the tune fades out/changes at 1:42, again I immediately thought, Bladerunner, then that acididy sound kicks in with beautiful lush pads/strings, the 4/4 kick drum I think kept the track steady on its feet, again really like that percussive hat like its shaky or shuffled somehow, but still synced.

All in all great stuff, and a great listen to
                        thanks for sharing :rockon:

Best Wishes
                        m3T4FoR
                        Last edited by meta4; 10-25-2013, 10:11 AM.
                        life believe is not a dream so dark as sages say

https://soundcloud.com/meta4-803929896

Comment

hi, thank you guys! I'm really glad you liked it, global express osc. - and yes...nighttrippin is a cool platform with an inspiring concept.
                          m3T4FoR - thanks so much, that was a great review & and I'm really happy it worked so well for you - that's roughly how I intended things! that whole driftin' in&out isn't everybody's cup of tea thoufg, and some said the field recording is out of place (I guess it could go down a notch or two) - so, honestly, it's great to hear that it meets your tastes as is
                          definitely need to see whether I can find "Feed Your Head" somewhere - don't know it, but sounds really interesting!

as for the hats, there might be a phaser or flanger somewhere on there, great to get movement.

it's much appreciated :thumbsup:

Comment

Well (if I may) leave the the field recording alone, its bang on m8, no but really, sumtimes its best that some elements in a song find their own way, rather than than a totally synced feel or whatever? let your music drift bro.

Sometimes 'not in sync' is a good thing. Its how a piece of music can find its own way, am speaking gibberish maybe, but its like there is no right or wrong, its just there, slightly out of sync maybe, but hey it sounds fckin brilliant m8.

Your music is very good, like alot of stuff I have listened to on here, mixing, eq, wot certin vst's mean, wot they do?? am still learning, but being here now, well am just focusing more on me drones/scapes ect, point am making is, out of all the years I have spent trawling the net, its only now I find AO and the music on here is almost indescribable.

Leave the field recording alone in your music
                            drifting in n out is good
                            its always meant to be anyway.

Kind Regards
                            m3T4FoR
                            Last edited by meta4; 10-27-2013, 09:13 AM.
                            life believe is not a dream so dark as sages say

https://soundcloud.com/meta4-803929896

Comment

Thank you very much! But hey, as you mentioned it - where can I listen to your music?

Comment

Working...
                              X