Sketch & Sculpture 'Treated Waters'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sketch & Sculpture 'Treated Waters'

I followed the tutorial posting on here earlier for creating a drone with FL Studio's Edison, though I am not sure this constitutes as a "drone". Nonetheless, I used my new Zoom to record me tinkering with an egg cup in a glass of water, put it into Edison and used blur and convolution reverb, then pitched down a whole octave. I then put the original recording on top as well. To both, I applied extra reverb and minimal EQ-ing.

That is all. No melodies nor nuffin' else. No beats. I am thinking... a soundtrack? What ya think?

https://soundcloud.com/rikkisho/treated-waters

This Zoom is proving bloody awesome!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by RikkiSho; 05-19-2014, 05:20 AM.

Thoughts?

Comment

I wouldn't necessarily call this a drone - I technically define drones as an extremely prolonged essence of sound that can be very fluid and continuous. I'm sure if you paulstretched it, it would definitely turn into one however, as it stands right I think this is more soundscape/atmospheric than anything.

The first thing I did when entering this thread was press play, I thought I was in a cave or something before I had actually read what you'd recorded. I think if you continued to experiment with this you could come up with some more interesting developments.

Record boiling eggs maybe... hm.

Comment

Originally posted by RikkiSho View Post
        Thoughts?
        i'm also hearing more of an atmospheric track rather than a drone. There are some nice elements and as an atmospheric track you could try adding other things in to strengthen the atmosphere but still only using your eggcup recording (nice idea, the eggcup in water) . Things I would try - multiple layers pitch shifted all sorts of ways eg 1.2 tones, 5 tones, 3.6 tones etc. Also using the original and pulling out individual 'spot' sounds and having them in there at critical points.
        BANDCAMP https://greghooper2.bandcamp.com/

Comment

Nice ideas guys. Cheers.
          Spot sounds?

Comment

Originally posted by RikkiSho View Post
            Nice ideas guys. Cheers.
            Spot sounds?
            one shot samples you drop in on a track - it's a film sound term - like say the sound of a door knob turning.

I use the term in music all the time to mean one-off sounds that are placed against say a more drone style atmosphere to accentuate a point. So in your piece there are a couple of clinking glass sounds at about 13secs. I might take the original speed version of one of those, edited out to be by itself, and layer it exactly over the slow version, then blend the volumes to just add in a bit of high bandwidth sound at that point - maybe with a different reverb or fx chain. But maybe you add in sounds that aren't from the original recording. Either way that is one strategy I use, let the field recording determine where the significant moments are, then try and build other sounds around and into those moments
            BANDCAMP https://greghooper2.bandcamp.com/

Comment

I thought that is what you meant! Great idea. I'll look into it, thanks man

Comment

Working...
              X