X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• truthiscolor
    replied
    Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
    If these are experiments, I would say that the first piece (04.20.12) is probably closest to being the finished artice, certainly in terms of sonics/textures, and also in terms of the arrangement. It's got a "smoother" character/feel, and like S1gns said above, with some tweaks to the arrangement/structure/dynamics, could be a "killer" piece of ambient music (probably a poor choice of adjective, but you know what I mean).

I enjoyed the other two pieces, but they had a less "polished" feel than the first one. That's not necessarily a bad thing, 'cos ambient music takes many forms and encompasses a diverse array of sounds and styles. If every composer's ideas and targets were the same, the world of music would be a much less interesting place.

When I started making music on my computer, in 2009, I managed to "complete" 58 tracks in a two year period, and then sat on them, thinking that the job was done, and, if the truth be told, I was quite happy with that. I never envisaged making them available for a "listening community". I was happy to be able to say to myself "I've accomplished something new". The wife was probably quite relieved too, not having to listen to "my latest beatz" on a weekly basis.

Four or five months later, one of the forum members at KVR suggested that I posted some tracks online. I was very nervous about that, but once I had overcome the initial fear/anxiety, I never looked back. I received so much good advice, and learnt/was forced to learn so much in the process, that I can only suggest that you continue posting.

Thanks for listening and responding seismic1. I really appreciate that you took the time to do so and respond. I am really pleased with all the great feedback everyone has offered, and feeling quite encouraged to keep pushing forward. It is interesting, I wasn't sure people were going to like the 04.20.12 track, but from what I am hearing from people, that seems to be the pick of the 3. Intriguing.

Thanks for sharing some of your story too. Yeah, when I started messing with this stuff years ago, I NEVER intended to share it with anyone! I am not a trained musician by any means (stating the obvious)! I have always been a music lover, and wished I was a musician but just put my focus on visual creativity. Well, years back, I was so burned out and jaded with graphics that messing with sound was a great escape while still allowing me to express myself creatively. I fell in love with sound and never stopped, even when I had no clue what all those crazy knobs on soft synths even did.. and granular synthesis.. say WHAT? I am still a little shocked I actually posted some stuff. And I haven't counted how many sketches I am sitting on.. but trust me when i say it's A LOT. haha.

Thanks again!

Leave a comment:

• seismic1
    replied
    If these are experiments, I would say that the first piece (04.20.12) is probably closest to being the finished artice, certainly in terms of sonics/textures, and also in terms of the arrangement. It's got a "smoother" character/feel, and like S1gns said above, with some tweaks to the arrangement/structure/dynamics, could be a "killer" piece of ambient music (probably a poor choice of adjective, but you know what I mean).

I enjoyed the other two pieces, but they had a less "polished" feel than the first one. That's not necessarily a bad thing, 'cos ambient music takes many forms and encompasses a diverse array of sounds and styles. If every composer's ideas and targets were the same, the world of music would be a much less interesting place.

When I started making music on my computer, in 2009, I managed to "complete" 58 tracks in a two year period, and then sat on them, thinking that the job was done, and, if the truth be told, I was quite happy with that. I never envisaged making them available for a "listening community". I was happy to be able to say to myself "I've accomplished something new". The wife was probably quite relieved too, not having to listen to "my latest beatz" on a weekly basis.

Four or five months later, one of the forum members at KVR suggested that I posted some tracks online. I was very nervous about that, but once I had overcome the initial fear/anxiety, I never looked back. I received so much good advice, and learnt/was forced to learn so much in the process, that I can only suggest that you continue posting.

Leave a comment:

• truthiscolor
    replied
    Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
    First of all, thank you for having the courage to finally post these tracks. As an artist, I know how important that first step is...putting it out there and finding out what your audience thinks of your work.

I've listened to all three of these tracks start to finish so I feel like I can finally comment on them. First of all, they are fine examples of the genre. Seriously, do not think otherwise! These are quality pieces and with some time and refinement, you'll be well on your way to your first EP.

Part of what makes ambient interesting to me is the layers that create the soundscapes. They let me mind wander between the different levels of experience and allow it to flow freely between them while it focuses on one or the other. One thing I think all of these pieces could benefit from compositionally is a variation within the composition itself. For example 4.20.12 is my favorite because of the richness and depth, but what if during the middle of the track you start to peel away those layers? What if at one point it went to only one or two elements of the piece (minimal arrangement) and eventually found it's way back to the full on soundscape before it ends? It would create dynamics and a point of interest, also an emotional response when things finally go back to 100%.

The second and third sketch lacks the range across the frequency spectrum that the first one had. That's also something to think about when choosing sounds and bringing a piece to completion. In other words, number two and three could benefit from more bass - something on the lower end to tie it all together. If you combine that with the suggestion I made above, your tracks would definitely come across as more finished pieces and be able to hold their own as "tracks" rather than "sketches."

Like I said, you're doing great. Keep up the great work and by all means, if you have questions just make a new thread! Ask this community...there are so many here that could help you. If they miss your post one time, chances are they won't miss it the second. ;)

Cheers,
    -S1gns

Thanks so much for the thoughtful feedback! I greatly appreciate it!

Too much repetition is something I have been self-conscious about with most, if not all, of my sketches. In some of my more recent sketches I have been trying to introduce and take away more layers as the tracks progress, so it is very encouraging to hear I am on the right track. I will definitely take this approach with these sketches.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to listen!

Leave a comment:

• S1gnsOfL1fe
    replied
    First of all, thank you for having the courage to finally post these tracks. As an artist, I know how important that first step is...putting it out there and finding out what your audience thinks of your work.

I've listened to all three of these tracks start to finish so I feel like I can finally comment on them. First of all, they are fine examples of the genre. Seriously, do not think otherwise! These are quality pieces and with some time and refinement, you'll be well on your way to your first EP.

Part of what makes ambient interesting to me is the layers that create the soundscapes. They let me mind wander between the different levels of experience and allow it to flow freely between them while it focuses on one or the other. One thing I think all of these pieces could benefit from compositionally is a variation within the composition itself. For example 4.20.12 is my favorite because of the richness and depth, but what if during the middle of the track you start to peel away those layers? What if at one point it went to only one or two elements of the piece (minimal arrangement) and eventually found it's way back to the full on soundscape before it ends? It would create dynamics and a point of interest, also an emotional response when things finally go back to 100%.

The second and third sketch lacks the range across the frequency spectrum that the first one had. That's also something to think about when choosing sounds and bringing a piece to completion. In other words, number two and three could benefit from more bass - something on the lower end to tie it all together. If you combine that with the suggestion I made above, your tracks would definitely come across as more finished pieces and be able to hold their own as "tracks" rather than "sketches."

Like I said, you're doing great. Keep up the great work and by all means, if you have questions just make a new thread! Ask this community...there are so many here that could help you. If they miss your post one time, chances are they won't miss it the second. ;)

Cheers,
    -S1gns

Leave a comment:

• truthiscolor
    replied
    Originally posted by Maharg View Post
    I know it is hard to muster the courage to post a link. It took a lot of soul searching for me to make that step. Fortunately this forum is a wonderful community full of encouragement and friendly advice. I am still not 100% comfortable with posting my music; the fear within is still strong. Having said that I would encourage you to keep posting and to keep experimenting. I liked listening to your stuff.
    Not sure I am qualified to add advice as I haven't been around long enough to build enough information/knowledge/technical expertise to do so. But, to my ears I would suggest that you look at your mixing process. Also back ground layers need to be a little more in the back ground with less volume. Tweak the EQ and reverb, and maybe a tiny bit of echo here and there.
    But I think what matters is that keep experimenting and playing around with what your instincts are telling you and follow the voice inside your head (not those loud noisy voices, but those that speak quietly with positive direction without harsh criticism) :s

Thank you for taking the time to listen and respond Maharg. Yes, I definitely have lots to learn in the mixing realm. actually.. in every realm of music making, haha. In my work as a designer, I am very sensitive to layers of tone and color, background foreground, etc etc. I don't quite feel comfortable with that in regards to sound yet, but I completely agree with you.

Yeah, those negative voices... Starting... STARTING to get to the point of considering they should be ignored.

Leave a comment:

• Maharg
    replied
    I know it is hard to muster the courage to post a link. It took a lot of soul searching for me to make that step. Fortunately this forum is a wonderful community full of encouragement and friendly advice. I am still not 100% comfortable with posting my music; the fear within is still strong. Having said that I would encourage you to keep posting and to keep experimenting. I liked listening to your stuff.
    Not sure I am qualified to add advice as I haven't been around long enough to build enough information/knowledge/technical expertise to do so. But, to my ears I would suggest that you look at your mixing process. Also back ground layers need to be a little more in the back ground with less volume. Tweak the EQ and reverb, and maybe a tiny bit of echo here and there.
    But I think what matters is that keep experimenting and playing around with what your instincts are telling you and follow the voice inside your head (not those loud noisy voices, but those that speak quietly with positive direction without harsh criticism) :s

Leave a comment:

• truthiscolor
    started a topic I finally did it.

I finally did it.

Hello all... finally got my act together and mustered up the courage to post some experiments/sketches on Soundcloud. It was an interesting process going through all of my files and picking which ones I thought represented what I was trying to do or say with ambient music. Not to say that I think these do, haha. I don't know. I am still learning, experimenting, trying to find my sound. I don't know any ambient musicians, just the few supportive friends I have shared with. So, I would love any advice or feedback if anyone felt compelled to offer it. I really want to continue to learn and grow as an ambient artist. If you take the time to listen.. I thank you.

Steve

https://soundcloud.com/truthiscolor/...d_old-sketches
Working...
X