Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

argyre planitia: new album "Beyond the Wall of Sleep" out now!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• argyre planitia: new album "Beyond the Wall of Sleep" out now!

Some older tracks and some previously unreleased ones too..

https://argyreplanitia.bandcamp.com/

(can someone explain me, why bandcamp is unable to spell "Hannover" with double-n???)

Enjoy!

Latest Album (Sept. 2020): Tenth Region Of The Night
    Soundcloud - Bandcamp - Youtube - Essentia Mundi - Winter-Light

I enjoyed Foreboding In The Dark yesterday, and I'm back again this morning listening to Phobetor. Quite dark overtones in these first two tracks. Nice work so far Stefan :D
    I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Latest release - Anomaly available on Bandcamp

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Thank you! It's always nice to get some feedback.

But I am afraid, that there will be no happy atmosphere in the next tracks.... ;) (seems, that I can't make happy sunshine music... I leave that to others)

Comment

Originally posted by betadecay View Post
        seems, that I can't make happy sunshine music... I leave that to others
        Indeed Stefan , and there's nothing wrong with that :D
        I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Latest release - Anomaly available on Bandcamp

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
          Originally posted by betadecay View Post
          seems, that I can't make happy sunshine music... I leave that to others
          Indeed Stefan , and there's nothing wrong with that :D
          I thought about that, and I think, that I found some explanations...

1. I simply like the dark side of ambient.

2. I also like synthpop, dark wave, the good old berlin school classics, The Velvet Underground, some older stuff of Pink Floyd... But to me, as a music maker, this is a new territory. I am a bad piano player and I don't want to correct every second note in the piano roll editor. So I keep stuck to what I can do. Perhaps I should try experimenting with drumloops, but that would be a completely new field for me...

3. when listening to factory presets, I mostly skip the typical leads and basses... Yes, we all like a natural sounding flute, a bowed string, a bell or a powerful bass etc. It's nice to have this and of course, I use such sounds. But a synth becomes really interesting to me, when I programm sounds, that are completely different fom the (usual) factory presets. Those things, that are often called "effect", but are no effect to me. Take the the microKORG as an example - a nice little machine, but all the presets cover styles like trance, retro (whatever that may be) and so on. But when you understand the machine,it can also make nice drones and really scary things. Things that can not be used for nice background ambient or for a dancefloor hit. It is multi timbral and I like to morph between the two timbres using the modwheel. That's much cooler than just a simple filter sweep (which also very nice, of course)

That is something, that I really like: to develop an interesting sound, have some modulations (interactive via modwheel or programmed via LFO) on it and then playing some long lasting notes and hear the sound change gradually. Sometimes I can get completely lost in that... :listening:

And this is also my approach in creating new tracks: first I have some sounds that I find interesting, then I start thinking, how I could use them together. Like a painting of Yves Tanguy with a backround (drone) and some strange objects in the foreground. I do not have a melody in my mind which I then realise somehow in my DAW (that might explain, why my music is so free of melodies - I use a melody only as the cherry on the cake to add that certain something)

Of course, such an approach does not lead to a top ten hit...

So the darkness im my music is somehow intended, yes, but is also a just side effect.

Comment

Working...
          X