Snow Day - My first ambient guitar track

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snow Day - My first ambient guitar track

So I've been working on learning to play some kind of ambient guitar music for a while...
    Yesterday while it was snowing I finally recorded some of the results. Here they are. I would appreciate any comments in an effort to improve my playing.
    Cheers,
    W.

Last edited by windspace; 02-01-2016, 07:23 PM.

That's lovely and gets quite an atmosphere going, could well be longer imo.
    Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by GaryG View Post
      That's lovely and gets quite an atmosphere going, could well be longer imo.
      Thanks Gary!  I agree about the length, and could be much more slowly paced as well...in future efforts I want to slow things down more, I have the hardest time pacing myself more slowly! 邏
      Last edited by windspace; 02-01-2016, 05:13 PM. Reason: fixed typos

Comment

I really like this. I can't offer any suggestions for improvement, honestly.

Comment

Originally posted by aoVI View Post
          I really like this. I can't offer any suggestions for improvement, honestly.
          Thanks!!
          I have some after the fact observations:

1. Started out to create a lighter, brighter piece. But, as usual, I played in a minor key and ended up with something darker than intended. It's my inner daemon I tell you!

2. I noticed after recording it that the guitar sound is awfully similar to the sounds of several synth patches I have made to try emulating an electric guitar. What, after all, am I actually emulating? Guitar with synth or synth with guitar?

3. One of the fx pedals made a lot of noise. I ended up incorporating the noise as an element, but I need to look into using a noise gate I guess.

Comment

To edit the thread title, go into advanced mode via the normal "Edit Post" control at the bottom of the post.
            Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

That's a great track. I like the sounds. Forget the noise gate. It's good as it is. In fact, listening to this gave me an idea for a new piece, using a plugin I haven't used for almost 7 years.
              Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
                To edit the thread title, go into advanced mode via the normal "Edit Post" control at the bottom of the post.
                Cool, done!

Thanks! Ya lurn sumthin' ever' day!

Comment

That's a great track. I like the sounds. Forget the noise gate. It's good as it is. In fact, listening to this gave me an idea for a new piece, using a plugin I haven't used for almost 7 years.
                  Thanks! I'm happy if you got a bit of inspiration from it

Comment

I've just got to figure out how to get a key change or two to work with it. I love a challenge.

Comment

I've just got to figure out how to get a key change or two to work with it. I love a challenge.
                      It was played in B flat Aeolian FWIW. (Or A# Aeolian depending on your perspective I guess. Does it make a difference harmony wise?)
                      Last edited by windspace; 02-01-2016, 07:37 PM.

Comment

It will when I start using very long period delays :maniac:

Comment

Really wonderful. Do you mind if I ask what your signal chain is for this piece? IMHO if you could eliminate the noise from the one pedal it would improve things.
                          Ambient Alchemy
                          Twitch
                          YouTube

Comment

That's a really lovely, evocative track. I think the pacing is nice as it is, but it should definitely be longer. I can listen to this kind of thing for literally hours :D
                            My new album is available now, here: https://thoughtexperiment.bandcamp.c.../supersymmetry
                            Check out my (hopelessly out-of-date) SoundCloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thought_experiment

Comment

Originally posted by Windspace View Post
                              I agree about the length, and could be much more slowly paced as well...in future efforts I want to slow things down more, I have the hardest time pacing myself more slowly! 邏
                              I know the feeling, have to fight an urge just to get on with it and end up pushing the tempo. A new sub-genre is needed, ambient speedcore.

Originally posted by Ambient Alchemy View Post
                              Really wonderful. Do you mind if I ask what your signal chain is for this piece? IMHO if you could eliminate the noise from the one pedal it would improve things.
                              Interesting how differently people perceive things; I guess I heard the noise but didn't really take it in, maybe listening to a lot of bands like Flying Saucer Attack over the years, who very much use noise as part of their sound means on a track like this, I don't really hear it as a technical flaw.
                              Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                              X