Gear 468x120
Shop at Perfect Circuit and support Ambient Online!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tape loops and guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magnesson
    replied
    good stuff enjoyed it!

Leave a comment:

• iainx
    replied
    I made a track for the Disquiet Junto:

but I also made a video of the recording

Leave a comment:

• iainx
    replied
    I took a friend's ambient/postrock track and remixed it:

Leave a comment:

• iainx
    replied
    A drone version of Silent Night, why not

Leave a comment:

• iainx
    replied
    Here's a video I made as a "trailer" for the EP I'm working on, it contains the intro from what has turned into an "epic" 24 minute track called This Town Was Built on Landfill and Salt. It's about community. I hope you like it.

The music is on soundcloud too if you want to listen there

Leave a comment:

• iainx
    replied
    Some noisier ambience I made for Noisevember when I realised that I could get my guitar to feedback at apartment friendly volumes.

Leave a comment:

• iainx
    replied
    Ended up with some dark ambience today, I'm not in a great mood it seems.

Leave a comment:

• iainx
    replied
    Earth's music since their "return" has been massively influential in how I play guitar. Slow, ponderous, repetitive, hypnotically beautiful. I'd recommend The Bees Made Honey In The Lion's Skull, which is where the original of this track can be found.

But I'm glad you liked my take on it

Leave a comment:

• GaryG
    replied
    That's wonderful, truly Hazy.

Can't say I'm familiar with the original, really need to get up to speed with Earth again (loved Earth 2 back in the day...)

Leave a comment:

• iainx
    replied
    Here's a sort of cover/reinterpretation of Earth's Miami Morning Coming Down II (Shine)

Leave a comment:

• gis_sweden
    replied
    I like the 2nd one best too...

Leave a comment:

• iainx
    replied
    Actually, I did leave the window open when I recorded it because I noticed one of my neighbours was cutting the grass and there was a sort of choppy white noise thing happening, although I'm not sure if the recording picked it up.

Leave a comment:

• windspace
    replied
    I'm a fan of trying to include the immediate environment as a part of the ambient piece, whether by including ambient sounds/noises or by running your audio through speakers and then recording the resulting combined audio from the interaction of your audio with the space. I like the ambience of the second piece. Sort of a Boards of Canada sound.

Leave a comment:

• iainx
    replied
    Thanks for that, Ian and Maharg, it's very helpful to hear that people are enjoying what I do and I'll take your comments onboard.

Leave a comment:

• Maharg
    replied
    I agree with the comments from windspace and ian. A simple low fi recording adds a great deal to many ambient tracks. Quite a few ambient and other musicians use the iPhone for field recordings and recording live performances to be added into different projects. David Gilmour uses a lot of recordings made on his iPhone for adding character and atmosphere. So if someone with his studio set up and productions skills records on the iPhone for some bits and pieces goes to show that utilising the iPhone is indeed nothing to apologise for.
    As for the length of tracks, I would say that anything under 15 minutes is rather short for my tastes. 15-20 minutes is still in the area I call short. Getting close to an hour is where I begin calling it longish. 90 minutes plus places it into the long category (my take on ambient anyway).
    I quite like the sound that clipping makes. Particularly if you slow down the recording and then lower the volume which gives it a nice edginess I like in small doses.

I like the second track better than the first, although I enjoyed listening to both. My tastes tend to long smooth transitions and slow evolving sound fields. Something sharp and unexpected now and again is fine. I also prefer to keep the volume of the various parts ebbing and flowing with as wider range as possible. It is ok for a pop song to have equal volume throughout, but not so good for ambient. Don't make it too loud, record low and let the listener decide what volume they want to listen at - I always recommend low

Keep doing what you are doing. It sounds great.
    Last edited by Maharg; 07-30-2016, 12:19 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X