Qattara - Three Winds 2017 Remix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qattara - Three Winds 2017 Remix

This started life as two separate pieces. I decided to merge/smash them together and this was the result.

It was originally recorded in March 2010, and I have now remixed it 4 times. Each time I tweaked the EQ, panning, leveling, maybe some synth parameters. This time I replaced the BrainDoc Stereo Enhancer with Nugen Audio's Stereoizer3, and Ferric TDS was replaced with Satin. I used Equivocate to apply some more precise EQ cuts where earlier mixes contained excessive resonances. The mastering chain I used here is my old T-Racks Master#1 chain (migrated to T-Racks 5) with some leveling changes. I have used a compressor/limiter on here, but moderately.

I think this will be going on the "ambient" album in 2020, along with "Absent" which I remixed a year ago.
    Last edited by seismic1; 11-20-2017, 06:52 PM. Reason: Facts
    Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

That's really lovely, got quite lost in it...
    Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Thanks for checking this out, Gary. Glad you liked it
      Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

I love how your pieces are so travelling. I long to make compositions like that. You have the freedom to just wander and roam in your soundscape. I really enjoy your ambient works Tim...if you couldn't tell by my raving review of your last remix. This stuff I really enjoy.
        Synphaera Records
        Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
          This started life as two separate pieces. I decided to merge/smash them together and this was the result.

http://soundcloud.com/whatsisname/qattara-three-winds
          Great result!

I love the bass and minimal percussion on this piece.

It could be used in a comedy about a detective who's hot on the trail of the perp. I know that may not be what you were thinking, and I mean it in the highest regard. There's tension in this piece, but not over-much.

Great job!

Comment

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
            I love how your pieces are so travelling. I long to make compositions like that. You have the freedom to just wander and roam in your soundscape. I really enjoy your ambient works Tim...if you couldn't tell by my raving review of your last remix. This stuff I really enjoy.
            Thanks very much for the listen and the kind comments, Chris. This one was very minimal compared to my usual work. There are only three synths on here, each playing 1 part, and SD2.0 for the cymbal action :workingout:

I'm wondering whether to put up a WIP of my first Paulstretch experiment, such as it is. All of the basic components are in place. It just needs a little decoration.

Comment

Originally posted by Dax IX View Post
              Great result!

I love the bass and minimal percussion on this piece.

It could be used in a comedy about a detective who's hot on the trail of the perp. I know that may not be what you were thinking, and I mean it in the highest regard. There's tension in this piece, but not over-much.

Great job!
              Thanks for checking this out and commenting, DAX IX. Glad you liked it

Interesting interpretation :mrcool:

"How do you like your brandy, Sir?"
              "In a glass."

Comment

Great track. Tasteful instrumentation and a very fluid, natural development!
                www.soundcloud.com/phoenstorm

Comment

Originally posted by phoenstorm View Post
                  Great track. Tasteful instrumentation and a very fluid, natural development!
                  Thanks for listening and commenting, phoenstorm. That's the first time I've been accused of being tasteful. This has turned out to be quite a weekend :D. This track was actually fairly easy to put together once I had the sounds I wanted. That's usually the way it goes (sounds first, tunes later). Glad you liked it

I'm going to post the 2013 remix of Divide And Conquer a little later. That contains very little in the way of subtlety ;)
                  Last edited by seismic1; 02-24-2013, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Excellent track, Tim! I can't belive I missed this one before.
                    This track definitely has a persona of its own. It does not feel like two different ideas, it works so well!
                    Amazing, really liked it!

Edit: not that I didn't like your other tracks, quite the opposite
                    I just noticed I played your track for the 666th time.... yikes!
                    Last edited by mariosprt; 02-25-2013, 04:08 PM.
                    https://soundcloud.com/mariosprt74

Comment

The devil makes work for idle hands :maniac: I think Dax IX would approve of the Iron Maiden connection
                      Thanks very much for listening and commenting Mario. This is one of my favourites too, probably due to the simplicity and space. Oddly enough my other fave is exactly the opposite of this, dense and complex.

I think about half of my tracks are composites made from multiple parts which I smash together. If I smash them hard enough, the seams don't show :D

Glad you liked it

Comment

It's never over. 2017 remix up on SoundCloud for future album release. Linear phase finite impulse response filters FTW

Comment

Ha! Nice one Tim

Makes me realise that there is still so much stuff I haven't listened to on your SoundCloud page... So thanks for the reminder
                          I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Latest release - Anomaly available on Bandcamp

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Thanks for taking a listen to this, Andy. I had been putting this remix off for a while because I was quite unhappy with the sonics of the three earlier mixes. I think the last one was over 4 years ago. In the end the EQ mods I made in Equivocate were a lot milder than I was expecting. Glad you liked it, and thanks very much for the repost

Comment

Working...
                            X