Old stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old stuff

I hope this link works this time. Its about my 6-7 try.

Searching through some old files looking for something to post on my new hearthis account when I found the tracks to my 3rd album which was a 4 track EP I released on March 10, 2015.
    Seems like a long time ago. I couldn't remember what the thing sounded like, so I had a listen and was pleasantly surprise because I quite liked it! Rare for me to say the least.
    It also crossed my mind to do a small promo of sorts in an attempt to spread the word about being on hearthis.
    I posted the 4 tracks and got another idea (too much thinking) to make the album a free download on band camp for a limited period - sounded good anyway.
    My guess is this would come under the genre of dark ambient, although I feel it is on the edge with perhaps a big toe dipping into the darkside of ambient, but without ever fully crossing the line. Maybe.

So have a listen if you will, and if you do, I hope you like it.

Last edited by Maharg; 09-25-2016, 09:29 AM.
    | Bandcamp | Hearthis | website |

So glad to finally get the link working in the above. Don't know what was wrong because I didn't change the link and it seemed to be correct each time I tried to post. It finally worked after about the 7th time!?
    Logging out and then back in after a hour or so seemed to have made a difference. Strange.

Comment

A great listen on an overcast afternoon. This is one of my favorites from you, but I tend to like darker things.

I wish I had the discipline of silences (more apparent in your other works than this one necessarily) you have in your composing. You always leave space for the mind and ears to work.
      Last edited by aoVI; 09-25-2016, 05:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aoVI View Post
        A great listen on an overcast afternoon. This is one of my favorites from you, but I tend to like darker things.

I wish I had the discipline of silences (more apparent in your other works than this one necessarily) you have in your composing. You always leave space for the mind and ears to work.

Thank you. I enjoy cranking up the volume sometimes like we all do now and again but with most of my work I like to play with silence, or extreme low volumes which can take you deep inside yourself and stimulate receptors in your mind you didn't know you had. At one time in my life I lived in central Australia for about 10 years and spent a lot of time in very isolated areas. I had heard of the Aboriginal Dream Time and I am familiar with many of the dream time stories. I didn't fully understand their belief in 'sacred ground' and our (human & all life) connection to the 'land' (our planet and the universe) until one day while on a long training ride on a hot day (I used to race bikes). I stopped in the middle of nowhere for a food and water break and to admire the amazing land scape. The silence and the sense that I was alone became much more noticeable after several minutes. You begin to notice nothing. You can hear your blood flowing it is so quiet. Then you begin to hear that there are other sounds. So quiet it could be only your imagination at work. As time moves on you begin to perceive other sounds and a gentle back ground of what seems like singing, that becomes hypnotic pulling you deep inside yourself. This was an amazing experience and remained an amazing experience everytime I visit the 'outback'. On a couple of other occasions I experienced the dark side when I was trekking through dense scrub and I must have walked into one of the areas of 'sacred ground'. I felt a sudden and strong change in atmosphere, one that made me feel extremely uneasy, nervous which began to grow into fear. Although there was nothing there. I felt a strong message that basically told me that I was not meant to be here and that I must leave. It was as clear as if someone spoke the words to me. When I turned around and took a few paces back towards where I had come from, the uneasiness and apprehension vanished as quickly as it had arrived. It was indeed an experience I will never forget. I did think that the heat (above 40c) and my imagination was playing tricks with my head. So, I thought I would walk back into the area with a positive attitude that I had imagined it. Sure enough as I crossed the invisible threshold it came back in an instant, but only stronger. I left quickly.

The whole experience of complete silence, just audible sound wafting in and out, an underlying drone that only becomes apparent after a few minutes or hours is something that fascinates me. As Shakespeare says "The earth has music in it for those who listen."
        I try to keep these experiences alive with my music. Not all the time, but it is a theme I return to often.
        Last edited by Maharg; 09-25-2016, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Indeed a great listen. Unfortunately, I was doing other things while it was playing. Going to listen again with the headphones in a bit. :listening:

Comment

Hi Graham,

I have added your album REM to my bandcamp "wishlist" just to remind me to add it to my collection.

In the meantime I am streaming it and I like what I hear.

To be honest, it is only since joining the AO community that I have started to listening to this kind of music. When I am not producing anything myself I tend to listen to heavy rock/metal, old and new. But when I am in compose mode I tend to switch to music which puts me in the right frame of mind to produce what I like doing, which is generally electronic, but more lately I have been getting in touch with my ambient side and I've even created a few darker pieces.

Listening to REM, and stuff like this, certainly helps get my own creative juices flowing by making me think, "how could I do something like this."

I guess I should check out some of your other albums too

cheers

andy
            >]:| ~ > Bandcamp < ~ |:| ~ > SoundCloud < ~ |:| ~ > YouTube < ~ |:[<

Comment

Hi Andy,

Glad you are enjoying REM, thank you.
              I don't start out to make dark ambient, it just happens to end up dark, even when I am thinking it is on the lighter side.
              I also listen to other peoples work and ask the same questions.

My method is to listen to what I like a large number of times with headphones and hope an osmosis effect happens and some of it transfers over into my head :biggrin:

cheers,
              Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Maharg View Post
                it just happens to end up dark, even when I am thinking it is on the lighter side.
                Made me laugh that because, in the past, I'd try to make dark stuff and it always came out happy sounding! My missus is always pulling my leg about that
                >]:| ~ > Bandcamp < ~ |:| ~ > SoundCloud < ~ |:| ~ > YouTube < ~ |:[<

Comment

I tend to miss the mark myself; set out to do something relaxing--it sounds ominous, set out to make dark things and it ends up pretty.

Comment

So long as you enjoy what you do, it doesn't matter.

Comment

Working...
                    X