Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Idyia [guitar drone thang]

All guitar this.

Inspired by Graham's ambient guitar album.

Adaptiverb features heavily.

I play a simple bass guitar riff on one track, which is processed by Guitar Rig and Adaptiverb.

I then play a load of random stuff on guitar, all in key of course, just wondering around the fret board a bit. Again, processed with Guitar Rig and Adaptiverb.

That give me a bed onto which I play an improvised lead part. Processed by Guitar Rig but this time I place Adaptiverb on a bus and send the guitar signal to it therefore letting the guitar sound through to the master as is and the Adaptiverb signal can be adjusted to taste. I actually prefer doing it this way rather than setting a wet/dry mix in the effect.

Only six minutes long this one so it'll be over in a relative jiffy:-

I hope it is to your liking

(I'm still not sure about it myself, but I think I say that all the time...)

cheers

andy
    I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Latest release - Anomaly available on Bandcamp

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

beautiful sound again, but I am going to be a little critical of your note choice on guitar which I don't think does justice to your musicality or the piece. I think your use of pentatonic traditional guitar forms eg hammer-ons of a tone alternating between strings sounds habitual rather than thoughtful like the rest, and jumps out at me when it happens. Otherwise very lovely. I hope you don't mind me commenting like this.

Comment

Hi Greg,

Thank you for checking out Idyia

Originally posted by GregH View Post
      but I am going to be a little critical of your note choice on guitar which I don't think does justice to your musicality or the piece. I think your use of pentatonic traditional guitar forms eg hammer-ons of a tone alternating between strings sounds habitual rather than thoughtful like the rest, and jumps out at me when it happens. Otherwise very lovely. I hope you don't mind me commenting like this.
      This was bound to happen eventually... I sincerely thank you for bringing this up Greg. It hurts a little, but you have said what needs to be said.

I am in a bit of a dilemma now.

Do I take this track down? Trouble is, at least six peeps have already listened to this, three of which have left comments, and then there is your comment here of course, three have downloaded it and it has been reposted twice.

It may be that if you have not heard any of my other tracks then I would have got away with using the old worn out pentatonic scale.

Like you say, my playing is more "habitual" than thoughtful. If I improvise like this then it is what comes out.

I have had a guitar since I was in my late teens, so around 38 years or so, give or take. In that time I have never put in any real effort into learning the finer points of either playing or writing. I can't even play one single known tune all the way through (I think I might manage the Happy Birthday song if my life depended on it). What I do, instead, is pick it up, play along to nothing in particular, and practice scales and chords. I may have pretty long spells where I don't pick it up at all, and then I'll go back to it and play it until my finger tips are bleeding.

I've never had formal guitar lessons, not even informal ones to be honest. Totally self taught... I'm hoping that your comments fire me up enough to do something about that.

You mention "musicallity." I'll be the first to admit that I probably should really call myself a musician. I've had no formal training at all. In fact I didn't even learn music at school because I absolutely hated the subject. Not sure what happened there and I regret giving it up, but at eleven years old, we perhaps don't always make the right choices.

I'm going to go and lick my wounds for a bit now...

Cheers, and, again, many thanks

andy

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
        Hi Greg,

Thank you for checking out Idyia

but I am going to be a little critical of your note choice on guitar which I don't think does justice to your musicality or the piece. I think your use of pentatonic traditional guitar forms eg hammer-ons of a tone alternating between strings sounds habitual rather than thoughtful like the rest, and jumps out at me when it happens. Otherwise very lovely. I hope you don't mind me commenting like this.
        This was bound to happen eventually... I sincerely thank you for bringing this up Greg. It hurts a little, but you have said what needs to be said.

I am in a bit of a dilemma now.

Do I take this track down? Trouble is, at least six peeps have already listened to this, three of which have left comments, and then there is your comment here of course, three have downloaded it and it has been reposted twice.

It may be that if you have not heard any of my other tracks then I would have got away with using the old worn out pentatonic scale.

Like you say, my playing is more "habitual" than thoughtful. If I improvise like this then it is what comes out.

I have had a guitar since I was in my late teens, so around 38 years or so, give or take. In that time I have never put in any real effort into learning the finer points of either playing or writing. I can't even play one single known tune all the way through (I think I might manage the Happy Birthday song if my life depended on it). What I do, instead, is pick it up, play along to nothing in particular, and practice scales and chords. I may have pretty long spells where I don't pick it up at all, and then I'll go back to it and play it until my finger tips are bleeding.

I've never had formal guitar lessons, not even informal ones to be honest. Totally self taught... I'm hoping that your comments fire me up enough to do something about that.

You mention "musicallity." I'll be the first to admit that I probably should really call myself a musician. I've had no formal training at all. In fact I didn't even learn music at school because I absolutely hated the subject. Not sure what happened there and I regret giving it up, but at eleven years old, we perhaps don't always make the right choices.

I'm going to go and lick my wounds for a bit now...

Cheers, and, again, many thanks

andy

thanks for such a great honest response - I would not take it down, it is still a good piece and so what if it is not "perfect". "Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best." is a quote that someone on KVR used to use and that gave me plenty of heart many a time for sure.

re guitar playing - one nice technique to break habits is to detune your guitar (down) at random ie without really listening to what you are doing so that there is no way any notes fit a traditional scale, you might even end up going down from D to G strings. Now play. A few things might happen - you play your habitual phrases and it sounds utterly different and you get out of listening habits (or expectation habits), You try and find finger patterns that sound good - and they most likely won't be patterns you are used to so you learn new patterns, You start bending notes a lot more to fit or find something pleasing.

all good
        Last edited by GregH; 10-10-2016, 01:56 AM.

Comment

re guitar playing - one nice technique to break habits is to detune your guitar (down) at random ie without really listening to what you are doing so that there is no way any notes fit a traditional scale, you might even end up going down from D to G strings. Now play. A few things might happen - you play your habitual phases and it sounds utterly different and you get out of listening habits (or expectation habits), You try and find finger patterns that sound good - and they most likely won't be patterns you are used to so you learn new patterns, You start bending notes a lot more to fit or find something pleasing.
          Interesting... I might give that a go. I'm not hopeful haha! Reason being, being a big Led Zepp/Page fan, I've tried different tunings before and I end up giving.

A great Homer Simpson quote, "If something's hard to do, then it's not worth doing." ;) (not that I believe in that, it just makes me chuckle at times like this haha)

And thanks for your advice regarding leaving the tune up, I will do that :D

cheers,

andy

Comment

good - but I am not talking about traditional retunings - I'm talking about the strings having no relation to traditional pitch or to each other. It's fun

re Homer Simpson - the Simpson's is like modern Shakespeare - just made up of great quotes That one reminds me of one I made up for a satirical website/writing project "What you don't know only makes you stronger"

Comment

but I am not talking about traditional retunings - I'm talking about the strings having no relation to traditional pitch or to each other. It's fun
              Ha! More like scary haha!

So you just turn them pins and see what happens?

Briefly back to the scale thing... Would it have been better to perhaps played a few more notes? I mean, the pentatonic scale is effectively just missing out a couple of notes. Just a thought... Need to get some music lessons booked too...

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
                but I am not talking about traditional retunings - I'm talking about the strings having no relation to traditional pitch or to each other. It's fun

So you just turn them pins and see what happens?

Briefly back to the scale thing... Would it have been better to perhaps played a few more notes? I mean, the pentatonic scale is effectively just missing out a couple of notes. Just a thought... Need to get some music lessons booked too...
                yep I just turn the pins

re scales - not necessarily more notes - why not try a bunch of different things and see how they work - 3 different ideas on three tracks then edit out the bits you don't like

eg what you already have, only notes that you didn't use the first time, then no two notes on the same string in succession or whatever. Then keep the best bits of all three tracks playing at once (rather than soloing the different guitar tracks). If it doesn't work, no harm done

Comment

eg what you already have, only notes that you didn't use the first time, then no two notes on the same string in succession or whatever. Then keep the best bits of all three tracks playing at once (rather than soloing the different guitar tracks). If it doesn't work, no harm done
                  Will do, but not for this one I don't think... It's kinda out there now so it doesn't make sense to change it. But I will keep this conversation in mind for any future work.

cheers

andy

Comment

It works for me, Andy
                    Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Leave it up by all means! I learn something every time I 'finish' a song that I feel is worth sharing...none of them are perfect, or ever will be.

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
                        It works for me, Andy
                        Hi Tim,

Thanks for having a listen... Really appreciate it

cheers

andy

Comment

Originally posted by Windspace View Post
                          Leave it up by all means! I learn something every time I 'finish' a song that I feel is worth sharing...none of them are perfect, or ever will be.
                          Aye! I will be leaving it up for sure, now... Seems to have been reasonably well received and has been downloaded six times now. I always look at the download figure more than anything else, and is one reason why I don't mind making all my music available for free download at SoundCloud.

You're right, of course, and I think even the most experienced artist would agree that there is always something to reflect on regarding a so called "finished" works :D

Thanks a load for listening

cheers

andy

Comment

Working...
                          X