Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ROU Revisionist

Hi Peeps,

This should be my last piece in my Culture Ships series. I think I've got an album's worth now so I should really get my act together and put something up on Bandcamp.

Anyway, this is another non-musical one, if you know what I mean. I would like to think it was dark ambient but I need my peers here to let me know if that is so. Might be that it is just a soundscape piece rather than dark. I've not tagged it as dark anyway.

For those who may be interested, this is yet another experiment whereby all I use is one track, in this case, and instance of Arturia Modular V, and all it plays, for the full length of this piece, is an eight note sequence.

I only let this sequence push through around four times, and only for short a short length of time at that.

I created a host of busses on which I placed instances of Adaptiverb (x1), MMultiBandGranular (x1) and Guitar Rig (x2).

There are many sends hither and thither and I use lots of automation in order to drive each effect at different times through the track.

I am really enjoying exploring this method of sound design, using mainly effects rather than synths for the majority of the sounds.

I hope you find it to your liking

cheers

andy

>]:| ~ > Bandcamp < ~ |:| ~ > SoundCloud < ~ |:| ~ > YouTube < ~ |:[<

Nice work. Tension builds and subsides. Like the white noise lurking in the background. The "frog" noises are cool. The hint of a rhythm later on is great - sorta toys with the listener.

Reckon few of us are keen on giving the whole game away, but your outline of your methods is helpful. I have no desire to copy what anyone else does, but pointers are highly valued.

IMHO you worry too much about genre labels. They're all just human constructs.
    Bandcamp / Soundcloud / Website

Comment

Thanks Tony,

Yeah, rhythm coming through every now and then will be the sequence. The frog noises are courtesy of Guitar Rig which I use to reverse the sequence.

I've taken some screenshots from Sonar showing my automations and the console view showing my sends:-

Comment

Very cool. Thank you :-)
        Bandcamp / Soundcloud / Website

Comment

Another nice one Andy! I thoroughly enjoyed listening. And a Culture piece...I'm drawn to it as a moth to flame.

I enjoy building songs in a similar manner to the technique you used, although I don't always limit myself to just one source track. Will be posting a pretty dark piece I just finished using similar technique in a bit. It uses two source tracks and a couple of tracks with stacked fx and some automations on them.

Again, great work on this song!

Comment

Thanks for listening to this Bruce :D

To be honest I was going to add another couple of synth parts, but I became so absorbed, yet again, in the process of adding more effects and sends, and sends from effects to other effects, that I decided I could get what I wanted from just the one synth instance. And I am always amazed at what is achievable. Not only is it just one synth instance, the sequence doesn't change once, and I didn't even bother automating any of the synth parameters on this one. So it is all down pretty much to changing send and fader levels in order to get some kind of desirable result.

It's all kind of a continuing experimental and learning process, one which I am thoroughly enjoying, as you can imagine

As soon as you have posted your piece, give me a shout :D

cheers

andy

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
              Thanks for listening to this Bruce :D

To be honest I was going to add another couple of synth parts, but I became so absorbed, yet again, in the process of adding more effects and sends, and sends from effects to other effects, that I decided I could get what I wanted from just the one synth instance. And I am always amazed at what is achievable. Not only is it just one synth instance, the sequence doesn't change once, and I didn't even bother automating any of the synth parameters on this one. So it is all down pretty much to changing send and fader levels in order to get some kind of desirable result.

It's all kind of a continuing experimental and learning process, one which I am thoroughly enjoying, as you can imagine

As soon as you have posted your piece, give me a shout :D

cheers

andy
              Shout!

Comment

Dark ambient fo' sho'. Good job, Andy
                Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
                  Dark ambient fo' sho'. Good job, Andy
                  LOL! Thanks Tim :D

And thanks for listening

cheers

andy

Comment

A great track! I love the textures and sounds. And yes, I would classify this as dark ambient. I think it would not be out of place on the Cryo Chamber label.
                    https://ablaut.bandcamp.com/ | https://soundcloud.com/ablaut

Comment

Nice ! I would say... dark landscapes
                      Soundcloud |Now at hearthis.at for lenghtier samples| Bandcamp

Comment

Originally posted by ablaut View Post
                        A great track! I love the textures and sounds. And yes, I would classify this as dark ambient. I think it would not be out of place on the Cryo Chamber label.
                        Thanks ablaut :D

Originally posted by Scryden View Post
                        Nice ! I would say... dark landscapes
                        Thanks Scryden :D

and a big thanks to everyone who has listened to this so far, I really appreciate it

cheers

andy

Comment

Originally posted by ablaut View Post
                          Yes, indeed, it would fit Simons taste. Much more my than my music (wich I consider somehow as dark ambient too, but it is different from what Cryo Chamber releases). Perhaps you should send him a demo. Doesn't cost you anything and may lead to a release on this famous label.
                          Last edited by betadecay; 11-12-2016, 04:29 AM.
                          Latest Album (Sept. 2020): Tenth Region Of The Night
                          Soundcloud - Bandcamp - Youtube - Essentia Mundi - Winter-Light

Comment

Yes, very cool track. I like it a lot.
                            | Bandcamp | Hearthis | website |

Comment

Very cool. The rising and falling tension as well as interesting textures makes for a great piece.

Comment

Working...
                              X