condensation - [keeping true to Eno ambient]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• condensation - [keeping true to Eno ambient]

Remastered the track tonight. How does it sound now? Was overly loud, hopefully fixed that now.
    Thanks much.

Last edited by midnightneighbor; 11-06-2017, 09:27 PM. Reason: remastered track

?
    Last edited by midnightneighbor; 06-24-2017, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Hi midnightneighbor. To make the soundcloud "S2" BB code tag work, on soundcloud you need to click on the
      'Share' link for your song and then select the 'Embed' tab. Copy the embed code into a text editor and look for the soundcloud
      song ID. For your song, it is: 306667663. Then place this id between the "S2" start and end BB tags.
      The S2 start tag you have right with the square brackets around it, but the end S2 tag should have a
      forward slash in front of the S2, and square brackets around it as well.

Nice tune!
      Last edited by TDP; 06-24-2017, 11:41 AM.
      Soundcloud | YouTube

Comment

Thank you TDP ! I read the embed widget info by Seismic1 but I guess it didn't make sense to me.
        Shame the widget has to be this big.

Comment

No worries. Seismic1 may well be able to create an [S3] BB code tag which sizes to a smaller size. Not sure
          if that is possible though.
          Soundcloud | YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by TDP View Post
            No worries. Seismic1 may well be able to create an [S3] BB code tag which sizes to a smaller size. Not sure
            if that is possible though.
            I think it's possible. I was going to wait until things settle down before messing with the stuff that currently works. I'm hoping to have beatport, mixlr and mixcloud embeds working this weekend. Now where are those damn smileys?
            Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post

I think it's possible. I was going to wait until things settle down before messing with the stuff that currently works. I'm hoping to have beatport, mixlr and mixcloud embeds working this weekend. Now where are those damn smileys?
              Ok on that Seismic1. Yeah, I am missing the smileys as well.
              This old style manual smiley works in the mean time: :-D
              Soundcloud | YouTube

Comment

It's a warmish day here, but the skies have been overcast and we've had intermittent rain. The music seems to fit that setting very well. I remember this one.

Good work
                Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

It's a warmish day here, but the skies have been overcast and we've had intermittent rain. The music seems to fit that setting very well. I remember this one.

Good work
                  Thanks for the thumbs up Tim. Yes, had it briefly posted at KvR. Remember you pointing out how it was over limited, as it still is...and it does bother me but I'm just lazy.
                  I need a new place to rest my head and KvR isn't there for me anymore.
                  Happy to see you. ;-D

Comment

Very nice piece of work this Barry :-)
                    https://soundcloud.com/synkrotron

Comment

Nice work on this track!

I can see wanting a bit smaller widget for SoundCloud, but personally, I'd like a bandcamp widget that's a little bigger than the starkly minimalistic one for individual tracks, if that's possible- more like the hearthis.at widget. Could that be done, seismic1?
                      Last edited by Sonic Bodhi; 06-24-2017, 01:57 PM.
                      "All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf, Lord Of The Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien

Comment

Remastered the track tonight. How does it sound now? Was overly loud, hopefully fixed that now.
                        Thanks much.

Comment

I can't comment as to whether the remaster sounds better, but it does sound good.

I like pieces like this, long gradual changes in texture, elements, focus, but never straying too far from a core feel. As John Peel once said of The Fall, "always different, always the same". Bears listening closely and floating freely above it.

Comment

Originally posted by aoVI View Post
                            I can't comment as to whether the remaster sounds better, but it does sound good.

I like pieces like this, long gradual changes in texture, elements, focus, but never straying too far from a core feel. As John Peel once said of The Fall, "always different, always the same". Bears listening closely and floating freely above it.
                            Damn it, I've forgotten your name. I hate that!
                            Very eloquently put, as they say. Yes, using just a few elements can have power. Notes rather then chords. Just a few select sounds w flirting with texture, singing now and then in an open space.

I just listened to a TDP track he has up now and it's much louder them mine and still sounds good.
                            I just don't pay attention to the meter as I much as I should. In the studio I don't notice it's very quiet, or I put it in a mastering standalone and I notice it had become too loud after getting it on Soundcloud.
                            Someone at TDP's post mentioned his track was averaging -18LUFS. I read that somewhere else too concerning ambient.
                            I need to look into that and try this again.

Thanks much for that feedback aoVI
                            Barry.

Comment

Listening to Condensation now, Barry,

I didn't download the original file so I cannot compare.

But, anyway, I am not sure about the "loudness" thing, to be honest.

Let me explain... With my own pieces, I do not compress or limit at all, lately, and therefore I try to always preserve dynamics of a piece, within reason. If I feel that there are parts that are just too quiet, or too loud, compared to the rest of the piece I will alter the dynamics by using automation to alter levels, rather than applying compression.

I haven't got into the LUFS thing yet and I am still using the K level system, usually K12, even though that may be considered to be too loud for ambient. The reason I have been using the K12 system is because when I listen to other ambient pieces, on SoundCloud, after listening to one of my own tracks, my piece is still quieter, so I am thinking that I am okay with regards to loudness. Regarding "rogue peaks," I always ensure that any peaks to not go over -1.0 ~ -0.8 dB. And even though that, too, may sound "loud," it seems to work for me. At least, no one has commented on any of my creations as being mixed too hot.

So, back to the "loudness" thing, is it not all relative to what you may be listening to at the time? If you are having to reach for your sound system's volume control to change listening levels between tracks, and they are all supposed to be of the same genre, then I would question the finishing/mastering of those tracks.

Back to Condensation, which has nearly finished now, and I love this piece. I agree with the comments of aoVI , 100 percent... And the length is just perfect.

cheers

andy
                              https://soundcloud.com/synkrotron

Comment

Working...
                              X