Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First Attempt at Ambient (Would LOVE Feedback!!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Attempt at Ambient (Would LOVE Feedback!!)

So, here's my first true attempt at ambient music.

https://soundcloud.com/nikki-layne/longing

I haven't been making music for very long (less than two years), and this was my first time doing something by myself that could be properly classified as ambient.
    I'd really appreciate you telling me anything you have to say about it, positive or negative! I live for feedback!
    My Soundcloud

My Bandcamp

Ohhhhh most excellent! Really nice use of texture and drone. Not bad for a first attempt!!! Seriously. I remember my first. This is miles from that! You definitely have a good thing going. Keep it up! What did you use? Do let us know!

If I had any criticism at all of this track...I'd say I didn't like the "glitch" happening towards the end of the first minute. Not that I couldn't live with it, but having the ENTIRE piece glitch out (total volume glitch) takes away from the experience, in my opinion. I can live with what happens at say...44 seconds. But the slower glitch at 42 seconds I could do without. You dig? Save that for a different element of the piece but keep something still present. 56 through 58 seconds is another example...as well as 1:03.

Otherwise I really love the texture that comes in about halfway through and brings it home. Nice work man. Like I said, you've definitely got it in you. If I haven't welcomed you yet, welcome to AO! This is what this forum is here for, post and response, to grow and evolve.

Cheers,

-S1gns
    Synphaera Records
    Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
      Ohhhhh most excellent! Really nice use of texture and drone. Not bad for a first attempt!!! Seriously. I remember my first. This is miles from that! You definitely have a good thing going. Keep it up! What did you use? Do let us know!

If I had any criticism at all of this track...I'd say I didn't like the "glitch" happening towards the end of the first minute. Not that I couldn't live with it, but having the ENTIRE piece glitch out (total volume glitch) takes away from the experience, in my opinion. I can live with what happens at say...44 seconds. But the slower glitch at 42 seconds I could do without. You dig? Save that for a different element of the piece but keep something still present. 56 through 58 seconds is another example...as well as 1:03.

Otherwise I really love the texture that comes in about halfway through and brings it home. Nice work man. Like I said, you've definitely got it in you. If I haven't welcomed you yet, welcome to AO! This is what this forum is here for, post and response, to grow and evolve.

Cheers,

-S1gns
      Thank you, for both the compliments and the criticisms!

As for what I did, the body of the sound you hear was made simply by stretching five seconds of audio rendered from a pad to about forty seconds and duplicating the audio and pitching it down an octave and playing them simultaneously, then having them repeat four times or so.

The majority of my texture sounds were just made by automating the wet/dry knob on a number of effects; reverb, delay, detune, bitcrusher, and chorus were all I used. XP
      My Soundcloud

My Bandcamp

Comment

Working...
      X