Obtention, dark ambient album

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obtention, dark ambient album

An album of mostly beatless dark ambient I recorded between early September and November this year. Meant to flow as a journey, and made using hardware synthesizers and effects.

Thank you for listening!

Nice work! I always want to hear more dark ambient. I think I hear some clipping around 2:58. Maybe there is a good soft clipping/compressor plugin that could help with that?
    Dark ambient horror utilizing a completely-original synthesizer on YouTube, SoundCloud, Bandcamp, and Facebook.
    Also join me on the Dark Ambient Discord Server.

Comment

Originally posted by Immorpher View Post
      Nice work! I always want to hear more dark ambient. I think I hear some clipping around 2:58. Maybe there is a good soft clipping/compressor plugin that could help with that?
      Thank you. Possibly, but I can't really alleviate that now. If the recording is clipped that's the way it is sadly. the way I work doesn't really allow for redoing tracks if that's what you mean, as I work away from the computer and don't have the original saves or anything anymore..

Comment

I know how that goes! I have an early metal song with clipping at one point because the plugin I was using wasn't set up properly.
        Dark ambient horror utilizing a completely-original synthesizer on YouTube, SoundCloud, Bandcamp, and Facebook.
        Also join me on the Dark Ambient Discord Server.

Comment

I'm very much a beginner hehe. Learning with time. I'm quite interested in getting a limiter or something at some point.

Comment

There is something you can do, though- the clipping can be mitigated by using a notch filter in post-production- I've used it more than once to 'correct' artifacts such as that and resonant frequency problems in my own recordings- like yourself, I am mostly hardware based, as I use a TASCAM DP24-SD recorder, and a Korg Kronos synth workstation, as well as a Yamaha Reface DX FM synth. I would be interested to know what your setup is.

'Bridge to Glowing Realms' is great, btw. It's not typical dark ambient, the percussion element makes it unique. I like the voices you used.
            Last edited by Sonic Bodhi; 01-12-2019, 10:49 AM.
            https://metapop.com/sonic-bodhi
            https://www.youtube.com/user/SonicBodhi1
            https://sonicbodhi.bandcamp.com/
            https://hearthis.at/sonic-bodhi-iw/

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Bodhi View Post
              There is something you can do, though- the clipping can be mitigated by using a notch filter in post-production- I've used it more than once to 'correct' artifacts such as that and resonant frequency problems in my own recordings- like yourself, I am mostly hardware based, as I use a TASCAM DP24-SD recorder, and a Korg Kronos synth workstation, as well as a Yamaha Reface DX FM synth. I would be interested to know what your setup is.

'Bridge to Glowing Realms' is great, btw. It's not typical dark ambient, the percussion element makes it unique. I like the voices you used.
              Thank you. Yeah that is true that I could correct it to some degree. I'd rather let someone else do it, in case I mess up..

My setup is detailed and pictured in the What's your setup? thread, in case you haven't seen that.

Comment

I got as far as Desolate, a very apt title for that one, but I need to get on with some offline things now...

Good stuff though, and knowing where you are with your setup I am impressed.

Perhaps, in the future, as budget allows, you should consider some kind of recording device so that you can mix your stems once done. I would personally always recommend a PC and something like REAPER but there are many great hardware solutions out there now, and very cost effective too.

cheers

andy
                I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
                  I got as far as Desolate, a very apt title for that one, but I need to get on with some offline things now...

Good stuff though, and knowing where you are with your setup I am impressed.

Perhaps, in the future, as budget allows, you should consider some kind of recording device so that you can mix your stems once done. I would personally always recommend a PC and something like REAPER but there are many great hardware solutions out there now, and very cost effective too.

cheers

andy
                  Thank you Andy

I sometimes regret including Desolate as it's very minimal and plain. I find there are some nice, subtle timbres in there still. First 'pure' drone attempt of mine.

Some kind of multi-track recording solution is interesting to me. I could record sub groups and/or direct outs from the mixer I'm going to get down the line into an audio interface. Not sure how else to do it as I need more than the 8 inputs usually offered by options like the Tascam ones etc.

Any other ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Endmire View Post
                    I sometimes regret including Desolate as it's very minimal and plain. I find there are some nice, subtle timbres in there still. First 'pure' drone attempt of mine.
                    Any other ideas?
                    I actually enjoyed that one Endmire

I would suggest that as you are performing live takes, at least that is what I think you are doing, then you could do worse than a TASCAM DP-24SD

https://tascam.com/us/product/dp-24sd/top

Good value for money, it seems and I have found it selling, just today, for £370 at Andertons in the UK. It appears that you can record 8 channels at once, so you may have to compromise there slightly.

But, as I said above, I'd probably save up more and go all out on a new PC and audio interface. Not cheap though... Probably looking at £1500 for something that would meet your needs. Could probably do for just under £1000 perhaps... I suppose you have to be a little bit careful with PC's because they need to be able to handle duplex recording and playback. I tend to go high spec, because, I suppose, I can afford it nowadays, so I couldn't really recommend a particular PC/brand.

Interface wise I could recommend the Roland OCTA-CAPTURE which is selling for around £382 (Andertons again). That has a total of 8 analogue inputs and a stereo digital input. Same with the outputs. If you are using outboard effects, like I am currently doing, then again, the OCTA-CAPTURE does the job.

REAPER is the most cost effective DAW out there at around £50, last time I checked.

Or something like Cakewalk by Bandlab is free and is basically what used to be SONAR before it went bust.

cheers

andy

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post

I actually enjoyed that one Endmire

I would suggest that as you are performing live takes, at least that is what I think you are doing, then you could do worse than a TASCAM DP-24SD

https://tascam.com/us/product/dp-24sd/top

Good value for money, it seems and I have found it selling, just today, for £370 at Andertons in the UK. It appears that you can record 8 channels at once, so you may have to compromise there slightly.

But, as I said above, I'd probably save up more and go all out on a new PC and audio interface. Not cheap though... Probably looking at £1500 for something that would meet your needs. Could probably do for just under £1000 perhaps... I suppose you have to be a little bit careful with PC's because they need to be able to handle duplex recording and playback. I tend to go high spec, because, I suppose, I can afford it nowadays, so I couldn't really recommend a particular PC/brand.

Interface wise I could recommend the Roland OCTA-CAPTURE which is selling for around £382 (Andertons again). That has a total of 8 analogue inputs and a stereo digital input. Same with the outputs. If you are using outboard effects, like I am currently doing, then again, the OCTA-CAPTURE does the job.

REAPER is the most cost effective DAW out there at around £50, last time I checked.

Or something like Cakewalk by Bandlab is free and is basically what used to be SONAR before it went bust.

cheers

andy
                      I think my best option would be to run a snake cable or something with the direct outs and sub group outs from the mixer I'm considering getting into some interface, to get some individual channels in the box as well as some things grouped (as the mixer (Mackie 1642 VLZ4) doesn't have direct outs for all of the channels). I don't want to abandon the analog mixer, as it is an important part of recording to me, for the tactility and having accessible simple EQs and sends etc.

My PC is actually already pretty good since I was gifted it specifically to enable me to work on music, and my brother helped me out to get a good build. The way it is right now I'd need to run some fairly long cables across the room to get it to work.

I found this thing now,Cymatic Audio LR16. Could possibly work, but I have no clue how good it is. 16 analog line-level inputs and works as a USB audio interface.

Ideally I'd mix on the desk, and just send it to the computer to save there, and be able to apply effects and other corrective things, and mix, in post, should I want to.

Comment

Totally understand why your mixer would also be a part of your creative setup rather than being just a mixer. So, you are thinking of getting a new one? Or second hand perhaps?

Just read a sound on sound review of the now discontinued LR-16. Sounds like a good piece of kit that and would work well with a mixer with multiple outputs.

Let me know how you get on

Comment

I'm not opposed to buying used but for the mixer I'd buy new. Don''t want to deal with potential previous owner's dust and possible damage or hard to spot issues, and they seem to pop up rarely for sale (I check local sites, never seen that model actually). Can't really go too far to pick one up anyway.

Will let you know

Comment

Working...
                          X