Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cover of Solaris "first sleep"

Hi guys

Many thanks for the gracious words towards me on this forum. I've regretted not being able to participate more here. I have finally though had a chance to explore ambient music a bit more, it's a very interesting area to explore.

http://soundcloud.com/aiyn-zahev/xils-osc-solaris

Well I am sure many of you know this piece, my cover is of course lame, it's for a competition on KVR, one synth challenge, so everything here is the Xils Lab Xils3 BE and stock or free plug-ins for processing.

This is the incredible original:

Thanks

Sami
    Last edited by AiynZahev; 07-29-2013, 11:12 PM.

Great interview. I really admire the obvious amount of hard work you've put into your craft. One of the first things I learned in synthesis was "Never Use A Preset", and so I rarely do. Alas, most of the time I just turn off my synth (Roland Fantom X8) when I'm done and I don't save the modified preset. The only parts of the interview that were difficult for me was the jargon. 'Pads' and 'Sound design', for example. Is messing with ADSR for pitch, filter, and volume considered "sound design"? I have many more questions so what I'm going to do is listen again and take notes, and then post them here or just start a new thread.

If I may, what your cover lacks is the dissonance of the orignal to let the beating create a musical structure that changes over time as the mixing of pitches change. In short, IMO your cover is too harmonious.

Holy crap! Play these two songs together (your cover and the original) for an excellent musical treat.

Peace to All and goodnight.

Comment

Props to you for even attempting a cover of this song. An amazing feat in and of itself!

Really glad that your interview is resonating with people here and those who are able to listen to it. AstroAndMusic, take those notes and start a new thread. When it goes up I'll notify Sami so he can respond if necessary.

Great song, awesome cover...win/win!

Cheers,
      -S1gns
      Synphaera Records
      Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Originally posted by AstroAndMusic View Post
        Great interview. I really admire the obvious amount of hard work you've put into your craft. One of the first things I learned in synthesis was "Never Use A Preset", and so I rarely do. Alas, most of the time I just turn off my synth (Roland Fantom X8) when I'm done and I don't save the modified preset. The only parts of the interview that were difficult for me was the jargon. 'Pads' and 'Sound design', for example. Is messing with ADSR for pitch, filter, and volume considered "sound design"? I have many more questions so what I'm going to do is listen again and take notes, and then post them here or just start a new thread.

If I may, what your cover lacks is the dissonance of the orignal to let the beating create a musical structure that changes over time as the mixing of pitches change. In short, IMO your cover is too harmonious.

Holy crap! Play these two songs together (your cover and the original) for an excellent musical treat.

Peace to All and goodnight.
        Yes it's lacking a lot compared to the original. The original was done with Gamelans and of course he's a genius too so that helps.

Comment

Working...
        X