Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doormat Matador's "Transmissionary 404" (Article)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doormat Matador's "Transmissionary 404" (Article)

"Transmissionary 404" is a wonderful dark ambient album that I cannot recommend enough. I've written an article on it in my AO blog, linked below. I won't detail it much here, since all of the info is in the blog. You can read about the album at the link below.

https://www.ambientonline.org/thursd...elease-talk-iv

a1300849860_10.jpg
    your friend,
    zweiton

bandcamp

I'm liking the first track a lot.
    What I notice immediately is it is mostly DX7 and the recording is being played back at half speed.
    It's late here...have to listen to the rest tomorrow///happily!
    ...haha well I'm still here, I couldn't help it. Maybe this is half speed canned intermission music?Will need to speed it up to get a better idea.
    Last edited by annode; 03-30-2021, 12:17 AM.
    "If you believe in things you don't understand, you might be a republican."annodeMy Music

Comment

Not sure, but it very well could be intermission music like you said! Either way, it's very unique. Let me know what you find if you speed it up! I'd be interested to know!
      your friend,
      zweiton

bandcamp

Comment

Originally posted by zweiton View Post
        Not sure, but it very well could be intermission music like you said! Either way, it's very unique. Let me know what you find if you speed it up! I'd be interested to know!
        Yes, it is slowed down music....maybe David Sanborn mid to late 80s, who knows. I speeded it up using the speed control in the free app Audacity.
        The 1st track Reith does sound MUCH better slowed down....very strange how that is. You should try it.
        The 60s band Vanilla Fudge slowed down a 'Supremes' 45 to 331/3 speed then created their own version at that speed and had a big hit record.Haha
        "If you believe in things you don't understand, you might be a republican."annodeMy Music

Comment

I found the track. It is from a Network TV music library;
          'Network Music Ensemble' collective name used on digital releases of production music from the Network Music library

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yunieR9wnkg
          ...for example "Universal Production Music'
          Last edited by annode; 04-02-2021, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by annode View Post
            I found the track. It is from a Network TV music library;
            'Network Music Ensemble' collective name used on digital releases of production music from the Network Music library

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yunieR9wnkg
            ...for example "Universal Production Music'
            This is a sick find! I'm definitely going to be listening to this!

Also, I've been speeding some of the tracks up for myself, using FL Studio, and I agree that they sound better slowed down. Funny how that goes!
            your friend,
            zweiton

bandcamp

Comment

Yeah, it's sort of a hoax I guess...at least he is not charging money or claiming he is the artist. I guess you will be deleting your review now?
              I had to speed that track up to original pitch in order for the phone app 'Shazam' to identify it. Maybe that's also the way he gets by being able to post those tracks and not get caught?

"Since the 1950s, BBC trade test transmissions were accompanied by music compiled from library music publishers. Over the years, virtually every music genre imaginable was featured.

The vast majority of this music was not commercially-available in the UK. However, in 1953 and 1954 some commercially-available recordings were used with Test Card C – these were all on the Oriole label.

In 1954, tracks by the Xavier Cugat Orchestra and the David Carroll Orchestra included vocals – this was unusual for trade test music. For a period in the 1970s and early 1980s, some of the tapes included pop music.

These tracks would have been from an outtake recording, produced outside of the UK. The BBC could transmit this material as library music, as the recording would not have been released commercially in the UK."

TEST CARD 'D'
              bbc-test-card-d-bbc1-reduced-power-z121a-002-01.png?fit=1000%2C770&ssl=1.png

Last edited by annode; 04-06-2021, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Well I wouldn't quite call it a hoax, as it seems to me as though the artist has still added his own flair to the music by means of added percussion and synths and whatnot, at least from what I've been listening to. I don't see it as any different as The Caretaker's work "Everywhere at the end of time" if you know what I refer to. He uses samples of already recorded ballroom music, but slows them down and adds his own parts to them. It's still perfectly valid in my book, and really, it should still fall under fair use. I know not everyone sees it this way, but I think sampling in this manner, while not exactly orthodox, is just as valid as any other form of music creation. For example, the entire genre of vaporwave is based around the principle of taking a song, slowing it down, and adding your own parts around that. It's just a different way of doing it, so I'm not going to delete my review or anything.

Either way, its cool to know where the samples come from. Glad you found those!
                your friend,
                zweiton

bandcamp

Comment

The original Jay-Zee

Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

If you need to hear instruments that aren't there in those tones, I don't want to spoil the party for you.

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post

The original Jay-Zee
                      That never occurred to me...clever one!

Comment

If you need to hear instruments that aren't there in those tones, I don't want to spoil the party for you.
                        I can't say I'm quite comprehending what you mean here.
                        your friend,
                        zweiton

bandcamp

Comment

Originally posted by zweiton View Post

I can't say I'm quite comprehending what you mean here.
                          Sorry...typo...I meant 'tunes' not 'tones'.
                          I don't know why you are hearing 'added' samples and instruments. All I know is this guy took music and slowed it down and put them through various noise/distortion.
                          Calling him an 'artist' is debatable. I certainly can't.
                          I like what he did. He makes no false claims, so it's all good with me.

Comment

Ah, I gotcha. I can definitely hear some added synths on some of the later tracks. Or maybe I'm going crazy ha ha. Either way, I can totally see what you're saying. He's certainly not near as much of an artist as, say, Brian Eno or any other artist who does their own compositions entirely, but I believe there's still expression in there. I guess it's just a matter of opinion ;)
                            Last edited by zweiton; 04-12-2021, 06:57 AM.
                            your friend,
                            zweiton

bandcamp

Comment

Artist or not, it is listenable, apart from morality I think we can all agree that this album is fine to listen

And it became a reason to discuss, at least it leaves something around there
                              https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsI...dx-Cb6OdGt7tPQ

https://bandcamp.com/voidreamer777

Comment

Working...
                              X