Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ambient from a 12 year old...

...and not just any 12 year old, MY VERY OWN stepdaughter!!! :D

This is her first "ambient" track. Composed and performed all on her own using Absynth 5, Zebra 2, and recorded in Live 9.

*Proud parent moment* :daydream:

Cheers and enjoy,
    -S1gns

https://soundcloud.com/fadingstarlight/gravity-zero

Synphaera Records
    Space | Time | Matter

Oh wow!
    Congrats!

Except for the start which is a bit too much all of a sudden, I kinda like this.
    I felt like floating on the water, looking up at the sky but seeing nothing.
    Like I was being beamed in deep outer space.

:thumbsup:
    Xalpheon on SoundCloud
    | main alias

Wax eloquent - wane together

Comment

nice liquid delays
      www.soundcloud.com/phoenstorm

Comment

yeh is rite m8, bet you must feel ded proud lah
        deffo talent runnin in the fambo there
        nice n floaty tune, will inspire all ambient musicians
        fanks for sharing :tu:
        life believe is not a dream so dark as sages say

https://soundcloud.com/meta4-803929896

Comment

Originally posted by Xalpheon View Post
          Except for the start which is a bit too much all of a sudden, I kinda like this.
          She wanted it that way. If it were up to me I would have faded it in...but she specifically said she wanted it to just "start." The parent in me decided to let her have it her way and not interrupt the creativity process. I knew that if I interfered in anyway, she might feel it was just another one of my tracks...and we all know I have quite a few of those. :p

Cheers and thanks for the comment,
          -S1gns
          Synphaera Records
          Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Definitely a proud parent moment - and definitely a great track - very uplifting sounding. I like the beginning. And yes - definitely a great move letting her do it her way!
            owner / artist
            relaxed machinery - organic .: ambient :. techno
            http://relaxedmachinery.com
            open creative community: https://ello.co/elloambient

Comment

I see what Xalpheon means, but I guess it's a matter of personal taste really in the end. Like John, I think the start works well enough as is, though I would have gone with either a slow build-up or slow fade in on this if it were mine..and I might have handled the end a little differently, too.

But let's keep this real guys..we're talking about the work of a 12 year old here..and I have to be honest and say that this is pretty good for such a young age..not only production-wise, but the feelings that have been encapsulated within the music are wonderful..and that is something many have a hard time pulling off successfully. There are adults out there trying to produce "ambient" music for years..who still struggle to turn out something like this track!

I'm sure you are proud, Chris..I would be if this was the work of one of my kids..and I sincerely hope you will pass on my words to her, when I say she should stick at this "ambient music business"..she has a bright future ahead of her if this track is any sort of indication of her skills and creative talents..and I can only wonder at how good she can go on to become in time, once she has mastered the technical side of things a little more.

Comment

Originally posted by Ambient Mechanics View Post
                I see what Xalpheon means, but I guess it's a matter of personal taste really in the end. Like John, I think the start works well enough as is, though I would have gone with either a slow build-up or slow fade in on this if it were mine..and I might have handled the end a little differently, too.

But let's keep this real guys..we're talking about the work of a 12 year old here..and I have to be honest and say that this is pretty good for such a young age..not only production-wise, but the feelings that have been encapsulated within the music are wonderful..and that is something many have a hard time pulling off successfully. There are adults out there trying to produce "ambient" music for years..who still struggle to turn out something like this track!

I'm sure you are proud, Chris..I would be if this was the work of one of my kids..and I sincerely hope you will pass on my words to her, when I say she should stick at this "ambient music business"..she has a bright future ahead of her if this track is any sort of indication of her skills and creative talents..and I can only wonder at how good she can go on to become in time, once she has mastered the technical side of things a little more.
                You are pure class Dan. Thank you so much for your thoughtful and insightful response. Rest assured, I read every word you said to my kiddo and it made her happy...I could tell. I think the kicker was she said she "changed plans" for her Xmas gift to my wife and says she now wants to create her own "EP" before the big day to give as a gift. As yes, I am proud. VERY proud. I've taught her guitar in the past, how to cook, and a bunch of other things...but this one truly hit home with me. I just want her to follow her ambitions to positive ends...be it something her stepdad is good at or whatever her heart calls her to do.

We'll see where things go from here...in the meantime, keep your eyes and ears peeled! Fading Starlight has entered the scene...protégé of S1gns Of L1fe, future ambient phenomenon. :angel:

Cheers and thanks,
                -S1gns
                Synphaera Records
                Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
                  Fading Starlight has entered the scene...protégé of S1gns Of L1fe, future ambient phenomenon. :angel:
                  Somehow I think "Fading" Starlight might prove to be the exact opposite..extremely bright and dazzling.

Comment

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
                    Originally posted by Xalpheon View Post
                    She wanted it that way. If it were up to me I would have faded it in...but she specifically said she wanted it to just "start." The parent in me decided to let her have it her way and not interrupt the creativity process. I knew that if I interfered in anyway, she might feel it was just another one of my tracks...and we all know I have quite a few of those. :p

Cheers and thanks for the comment,
                    -S1gns
                    I do believe this does bring out the raw beauty of the track out even more!

I can't wait to hear an EP from Fading Starlight
                    Xalpheon on SoundCloud
                    | main alias

Wax eloquent - wane together

Comment

That is an amazingly mature composition from a 12-year old. It's all there: good choice of sounds, dynamic shifts, melodic shifts, nice clear mix. And good for her, sticking to her guns on that 'all at once' opening - it works for me. When it comes to art, rules really were made to be broken I look forward to that EP...

By the way, I hope this won't lead to fighting over the DAW, chez S1gns.....'...but when will I get my turn? Mom, tell him...' :cantlook:
                      My new album is available now, here: https://thoughtexperiment.bandcamp.c.../supersymmetry
                      Check out my (hopelessly out-of-date) SoundCloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thought_experiment

Comment

Originally posted by Thought Experiment View Post
                        By the way, I hope this won't lead to fighting over the DAW, chez S1gns.....'...but when will I get my turn? Mom, tell him...' :cantlook:
                        That's why he bought a new one :rotf:
                        Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

I just played this and was extremely impressed. Great sounds, well mixed, the piece was very relaxing to listen to when I arrived home from work. Perfect chillout. Don't let her become an accountant :D
                          Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

I'm traveling this week so had to listen on my ipad. It sounded great even through the tiny speakers. You've got good reason to be proud. This is a nice song and a nice mix/master. I'll listen again when I get home.

I have tried to get my daughters into music production since they were about 12 with no luck. They both enjoy playing in the school band, but that's it. You're lucky to have a talented daughter who has similar musical interests.

Comment

Also I wud just like to further add, that after reading that Absynth 5 was one of the vst's to be used to make the track, well I wos totally gobsmacked becos I no how complex and deep in theory Absynth can be, evin for an old git like me :eek: further mentioning the ammount of sounds there is to, can be hedbangin tryin to be happy wiv a particular one, but for sumone who is only 12 years of age and composing a choon wiv using such programs, well that just blows me away totally, fair enuff tutoring has been inspired by the parent, but I wud imagine alot of the younger generation may get bored after alittle while wiv the dictation involved, but of course there is the many who will listen and take in that information becos they know its very useful stuff to have onboard when creating music from scratch, now thats the intelligence of a 12 year old, I think that in itself is the sign for such a wonderful rare gift, it has to be, especially with using Absynth 5 lol.

But the point were its made that she just wanted it to start immediately wivout a fade in, well I can understand how sumone may juggle wiv the idea of a fade in and end up bein at war wiv themselves insted lol, becos its like yeh it can werk both ways anyway, have a tune start immediately and have a fade in to, maybe consider doing a remix of Gravity Zero but wiv a fade in this time, or maybe an immediate start wiv a fade in to.

Tho as much as Gravity Zero is a great inspirational title for this choon, Fading Starlight wud also be a well deserved title to I fink, as the music reminds me of the stars n the sun fading in n out of one another wiv maybe splashes of rich yellows n bright russian blues in the distance, like the stars or the moon are just there in the music wiv no right or wrong, maybe a remix called Fading Starlight.

The tune itself is classic m8 and I deffo luk forward to more of them in the near future, its certinly an inspiration, beautifully crafted and nicely mixed to, when I was 12 I was playing kerby wiv me m8s or avoidin the gollypit in the school playground lol, but I never did achieve talent like this I no that much.
                              Last edited by meta4; 12-18-2013, 06:35 PM.
                              life believe is not a dream so dark as sages say

https://soundcloud.com/meta4-803929896

Comment

Working...
                              X