pseudo-ambient explorations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pseudo-ambient explorations

as the thread title indicates I'll try and list a few things here I would not consider ambient per se...but somehow remind me of important aspects of relevant to it. Take for example Howard Skempton's "Lento" - contemporary classical music & certainly interesting with regards to central concepts such as layering, repetition, etc. Seeing this in preview...what's the guidelines on youtube embedment around here? -phoenstorm
    www.soundcloud.com/phoenstorm

I believe if you DON'T want to embed, put an s after http in the address.

Otherwise, all YouTube videos will be embedded.

Comment

This sort of stuff is right up my alley! Great example, phoenstorm, what a lovely piece - it rather reminds of a project I discovered on bandcamp recently, Arafúra (although I'd question the "pseudo" label in this case - they define themselves as organic ambient). Without meaning to derail the thread, I think you may find this interesting, if you haven't heard it before. Official video:

Retnuh Recordings on Soundcloud | Bandcamp | YouTube | Blogspot | Last.fm
      Tim Hunter Music (soundtrack work) on Soundcloud | Bandcamp | YouTube | Blogspot

Comment

Thanks...I didn't know them before, but that music is beautiful, really enjoyed that! Will have to follow up on Arafúra, and of course, your music. I'm a little bit pressed for time at the moment, but will hopefully find some time over the weekend! I'll try to keep this thread going with some more recommendations soon -if someone wants to take it from here, just go for it :listening:.

P.S. Thanks DAX IX for the clarification!

Comment

heading out of ambient territory here - and yet, witness the interest in textures, the use of samples and found sounds, historical recordings etc. The album this track is taken from is also "ambient" insofar as it has a "geographic" concept - combining a recommended tour through the remnants of a once thriving village with the soundtrack of the album...the concept of map vs territory is also evident in the album title "1 Inch / 1/2 Mile". Track is "The Tin Man", Artist is Grasscut, Label is Ninja Tunes. Enjoy...I hope .

Comment

All of this is such wonderful music. Been enjoying each and every one of these videos posted. You guys are awesome...thanks for sharing with the group!!!

-S1gns
            Synphaera Records
            Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Just came back from a classical concert. Nothing better than the live-experience. This was part of the program. Stunning: Charles Ives, The Unanswered Question

Comment

Originally posted by phoenstorm View Post
                the album title "1 Inch / 1/2 Mile". Track is "The Tin Man", Artist is Grasscut, Label is Ninja Tunes. Enjoy...I hope .
                I did a great deal, not aware of them before, certainly going to track more of their stuff down. Thanks!
                Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Glad you liked it!

At the risk of opening Pandora's box...and taking the pseudo- in the thread title (too) far...here is Jeff Beale's score for defunct hbo series "Carnivàle" - if not quite ambient, it's nevertheless eerily atmospheric:

Comment

ambient from Portland, OR, I guess well-known round here, thought I'd post a track here, anyway.

Comment

...meanwhile, it's the early 90s and in Germany:

Comment

Originally posted by phoenstorm View Post
                        ambient from Portland, OR, I guess well-known round here, thought I'd post a track here, anyway.

I'm familiar with Eluvium...he does have some good material. I don't like everything he's put out there, but he does have a few real gems.
                        "The only thing that means a thing in the end is what you loved, and who you loved, and you let it take you home..."

Comment

Wow, I love the Grasscut track. And I've always enjoyed that Charles Ives piece (aka "screw you string section, we're the woodwinds and horns!" :D)

Ernst Karel's field recording album Swiss Mountain Transport Systems is, I guess, a bit off to the side from ambient. I seriously consider it the most fascinating album I bought in 2011.

https://soundcloud.com/experimedia/e...swiss-mountain

Comment

This is one of my favourite short animated movies. It features interesting drones in background of climax scene.
                            Not safe for children ;)

SoundCloud // FreeSound // Twitter
                            Get exposure for your electronic music through WEATNU.COM independent promotion network.
                            "Shortwave" - collaboration album with Ager Sonus

Comment

glad to see new leads to great music here. wonderful. let's keep this going!

let me chip in...:

one of the more interesting album names, too.
                              Last edited by phoenstorm; 04-24-2013, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X