post-rock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• post-rock

by this i mean the kind of music, which makes do without lyrics and which engages in blissful repetition and sappy melodies. or, to put it seriously, i always thought there was a close relationship between post-rock and ambient sensibilities: let's collect some prime examples in here :biggrin:
    www.soundcloud.com/phoenstorm

Yay! Discussion on what defines a band as post-rock time! ;)

I'm old school so it's Slint, Tortoise etc for me though I appreciate the Bark Psychosis, Disco Inferno arguments too. But not Stereolab. :D

Maybe Sigur Ros changed it forever when they got labelled it so all these 'ambient rock' bands got dragged in too. (explosions in the sky, mogwai...)

Meh.

Pinacle for me:

(no, not jazz :P)

(post rock? i think so, too haunting and gorgeous not to be)
    Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

A Post-rock thread without Hammock is not worthy! :biggrin:

Last edited by IOK-1; 07-19-2013, 07:10 AM. Reason: Messed upp link.
      http://www.soundcloud.com/tarmskrap

Comment

Oh! I know it's post-metal, but it itches in my fingers to post a link.
        And I think they deserve a spot even if they are post-metal because in my opinion it generates the same "feelings" as post-rock for me at least.
        Slap me on the fingers if it ain't appropriate.

http://www.soundcloud.com/tarmskrap

Comment

Here's a current artist who straddles the ambient/post-rock divide (if you believe such a thing exists) quite beautifully. Check out his album: http://deepelmdigital.com/album/reanimation.

Comment

Originally posted by IOK-1 View Post
            Oh! I know it's post-metal, but it itches in my fingers to post a link.
            And I think they deserve a spot even if they are post-metal because in my opinion it generates the same "feelings" as post-rock for me at least.
            Never heard that before, really nice. Hit me in the way MBV do, beauty and chaos etc etc.

'post-metal' makes me think of math-rock which is probably a case of over-genre-ising...

Whatever, Pelican!

Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

could we please kick the spammer out, but leave the post, I have a penchant for random things and this fits nicely in here

Comment

Originally posted by phoenstorm View Post
                could we please kick the spammer out, but leave the post, I have a penchant for random things and this fits nicely in here
                I just kicked it out, including posts, because they contain links to sites with possibly malicious content.
                SoundCloud // FreeSound // Twitter
                Get exposure for your electronic music through WEATNU.COM independent promotion network.
                "Shortwave" - collaboration album with Ager Sonus

Comment

which of course is the right thing to do . thanks & on with "post-rock"...

Comment

Looks like I missed all the fun

Edit: (not quite all of it, apparently)
                    Last edited by seismic1; 07-20-2013, 10:23 AM.
                    Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

I love Red Sparowes. "Every Red Heart Shines Toward the Sun" is a fantastic album.

www.reverbnation.com/theinfinitecalling

Comment

Here's one from a group from my neck of the woods who blurred the ambient/post-rock line:

And a classic from Staffraen Hakon:

Comment

Here's something I discovered recently, some really beautiful moments on the album ('Centralia'):

My new album is available now, here: https://thoughtexperiment.bandcamp.c.../supersymmetry
                          Check out my (hopelessly out-of-date) SoundCloud page: https://soundcloud.com/thought_experiment

Comment

Anybody familiar with God is an Astronaut? Just stumbled across this.

Comment

Yes! They are an excellent Irish act; I have seen them live on a number of occasions. Their records are very good indeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X