• Toby Cortes
    replied
    I use dubbed drums, it gives a nice vibe, u can check out my sooundcloud

https://soundcloud.com/ambientdub/ambdub-444codigo

Leave a comment:

• almanacs
    replied
    Originally posted by almanacs View Post
    IMO, when it comes to art, everything is right if you do it right.
    Personally I feel more driven into non-percs ambient music, but somtimes I like to add percs in a kind of "tempo-less" or deconstructed way, mostly soft wooden hits and toms with reverbs and filters, in order to make them feel like FX or textures instead of "beats".
    Agree on this. Poly-rythms put a beautiful sense on music. I've been using some in some tracks I'm working and I'm very excited with the results.

Leave a comment:

• aoVI
    replied
    What about dropping Moby into the mix?

Oh wait, that's still Phil Collins.

I missed again.

Leave a comment:

• annode
    replied
    Originally posted by Realm View Post
    annode so a little Phil Colins dropped into the mix is out of the question then?!
    Ha, I definitely wouldn't recommend that.
    You find 4/4 in ambient-like music, but once it's 4/4 it's likely to become chill-out style. That's more what I meant.
    I consider 'Ascendant' as Chill for example.

Leave a comment:

• Realm
    replied
    annode so a little Phil Colins dropped into the mix is out of the question then?!

Leave a comment:

• annode
    replied
    One ambient radio show I listen to every week (Into The Deep - WEVL) divides the show into w/beats and w/out. I like this.
    Anyway, ambient percussion does't work for me if the music needs the beat or is build around it.
    Some can work...like Latin beats or slow poly-rhythms.
    Ancient culture rhythms and percussive instruments work well. If it's happening in a cave , all the better.
    If it has an air of shamanism or other worldly places your good to go.
    4/4 is definitely out.

Leave a comment:

• almanacs
    replied
    IMO, when it comes to art, everything is right if you do it right.
    Personally I feel more driven into non-percs ambient music, but somtimes I like to add percs in a kind of "tempo-less" or deconstructed way, mostly soft wooden hits and toms with reverbs and filters, in order to make them feel like FX or textures instead of "beats".

Leave a comment:

• Calavera Love
    replied
    for me drums/percussion is the hardest part. I love beatless ambient, but for some reason, I dont know why, I always in the end make beats))))))))) I used to listen a lot of Loscil early works and it always amazed me how the guy can come up with such organic, evolving soundscapes without introdusing almost any beat.

Leave a comment:

• Grim Heka
    replied
    I sometimes run a drum loop through an enevelope follower, then into the filter cutoff or sidechain for a bit of rhythm without using the drums themselves. Hope what I just said makes sense. lol

Leave a comment:

• mux
    replied
    Originally posted by synkrotron View Post

This is my take on ambient with drums... The "drums" don't "kick" in until two thirds in:-

The drum sound(s) work well. With low cutoff or pass filter. The well known quote of Marcel Duchamp: "art is the gap"; it's about the spaces between the elements as much as anything else imho.

Leave a comment:

• betadecay
    replied
    This is my take on ambient with drums... The "drums" don't "kick" in until two thirds in:-
    No problem with drums like this! They are definitely "ambient drums".

Leave a comment:

• mux
    replied
    Originally posted by ambientsketchbook View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]1294[/ATTACH]
    :lol: To quote the great Blake Schwarzenbach: "I was passing out while you were passing out The Rules."
    LOLz

Leave a comment:

• mux
    replied
    Cool visuals! i need to listen on headphones to hear it properly.

I just had a thought: Boris Blank (Yello) - he's a master of ambient drummage!

Leave a comment:

• synkrotron
    replied
    Originally posted by mux View Post

like with singular drum sounds, through a quadraverb..vast reverb

Leave a comment:

• mux
    replied

Good point
    like with singular drum sounds, through a quadraverb..vast reverb

Leave a comment:

Working...
X