X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GaryG
    replied
    Originally posted by 3001 View Post
    I have a problem with drums, and not just for ambient, or space, or whatever genre have you. If drums are not tastefully done they end up aging things in a poor way and make them cheesy.
    I guess we're talking about crap 80s snares with tons of gated reverb... Yeah, I can think of recordings ruined by them ('desert' rock band Thin White Rope for instance, great band but the major label recordings certainly had that snare sound...)

Beyond that though, I think there's a mindset with drums that every pop/rock track must have them in a fairly standard way (kick, snare, hats etc). Obviously guitar rock is pretty formulaic but it seems a lot of songs would benefit from some out of the box thinking regarding rhythm; even just losing the prominent snare maybe.

I guess the gold standard here is Peter Gabriel 3, no cymbals and much more focus on toms etc.

Leave a comment:

• seismic1
    replied
    I think somebody was pulling your leg. The perpetrator was obviously none other than Peter Gabriel - The Moribund Burgermeister

Leave a comment:

• aoVI
    replied
    Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
    .... Listen to Phil Collins "This Must be Love" (studio version). The conga intro sells you a dummy, whilst the real rhythm down below steals your wallet.
    Phil Collins...is there nothing he won't steal?

Back in the 80's I put a cheezeburger in the fridge to eat later. A few hours pass, and I went back there only to find the wrapper casually tossed aside.

We had a friend who was into the occult; she brought over a Ouija board that evening, contacted the spirits and I asked who took the burger.

The board spelled out "In the Air" and "ginesis" [sic].

It was obvious at that point Phil Collins stole my burger. I am still holding a grudge.

True story.

Leave a comment:

• seismic1
    replied
    Rhythm doesn't have to be a constraint. Rhythm doesn't have to consist of percussion. Rhythm is often only a matter of perception/deception. Listen to Phil Collins "This Must be Love" (studio version). The conga intro sells you a dummy, whilst the real rhythm down below steals your wallet.

Don't get me started on King Crimson.

Leave a comment:

replied
    I have a problem with drums, and not just for ambient, or space, or whatever genre have you. If drums are not tastefully done they end up aging things in a poor way and make them cheesy. More often than not I find the drums I hear in ambient type stuff awfully cheesy, hippy dippy, and quickly dated. But I would add, I also find wavestation patches awfully corny as well!

In my opinion Ambient is easy to make, hard to make well. Drums can be added anywhere, but very rarely are they used well in ambient/space/atmospheric stuff, I think the issue is with rhythmic constraints. I like ambient to it's lack of rhythmic constraint, to me I would question drums more for that timing constraint vs the generation of sound.

Leave a comment:

• seismic1
    replied
    ...and the beat goes on... :maniac::maniac::maniac:

Take a look at these hands

Leave a comment:

• GaryG
    replied
    :highfive:

Leave a comment:

• ambientsketchbook
    replied
    Screenshot_2016-02-10-19-02-03.jpg
    :lol: To quote the great Blake Schwarzenbach: "I was passing out while you were passing out The Rules."

Leave a comment:

• GaryG
    replied
    Well citing Eno directly:

"Ambient music must be able to accommodate many levels of listening attention without enforcing one in particular; it must be as ignorable as it is interesting"

That says nothing about how the music is constructed or what elements it has. Nothing in there banning drums for example (FWIW I agree drums in ambient are tricky due to the nature of their sounds but not impossible to integrate 'ignorably')

So anyone making any style of music could make ambient music if their music fulfils that criteria. IMO. I guess I do see ambient as a description rather than a set of rules for defining the genre (y'know how people say eg. House music has to have the four on the floor kick, be of a certain tempo etc?) I don't see Ambient has any of those restrictions, it's a wide open label that, yes, is useful to pull together a lot of different music if a tag or Record Store section is needed but doesn't slavishly impose any restrictions beyond that oft repeated Eno quote.

Of course, you could be of the opinion that Eno is a total dilettante and ambient is much bigger than him anyway.

Bigger debate here: http://www.ambientonline.org/forum/s...e-Great-Debate

Leave a comment:

• noise_construct
    replied
    But what is "ambient" as a quality of music then, if it doesn't describe a musical genre (like all other tags)?

Can you name other descriptors of the same level?

Leave a comment:

• GaryG
    replied
    I guess I treat 'ambient' like a meta tag; not describing the music per se but a quality it has.

If you say ambient can only be ambient if it has long, slow synth passages, maybe similarly sounding guitars, no percussion etc etc then I'd say you're describing a genre not a descriptor. If some doom metal band slowed right down, dropped the harsh elements, only used subtle percussion then they could quite possibly be creating ambient music. If we're going to quote Eno then as long as it's deep, multi-layered but also quite ignorable then it could be classed as ambient. In fact, going by his original definition, I'd say most of the music presented here isn't ambient... (controversy! )

Leave a comment:

• noise_construct
    replied
    Originally posted by Yuroun View Post
    For me Ambient music is representing a mood or idea, capturing moments or feelings with sounds. So, if a piece needs drums then use them.

I use now a days a lot of drums in my tracks and I still call it ambient :-)

https://soundcloud.com/yuroun/electro-groove
    But surely you could call it bluegrass, bossa nova or yodlcore and it wouldn't be any more misleading? Your tune has a bassline and a drumbeat, and nothing that would remind me of any ambient music I've heard.

I mean if it isn't ambient music why call it ambient? There's plenty of other genres that would be more appropriate, like electro or downtempo. Classifying your music is a service to the listener, especially important now in the internet age when music is all searched.

Leave a comment:

• Seva Randeep
    replied
    For me Ambient music is representing a mood or idea, capturing moments or feelings with sounds. So, if a piece needs drums then use them.

I use now a days a lot of drums in my tracks and I still call it ambient :-)

https://soundcloud.com/yuroun/electro-groove

Leave a comment:

• noise_construct
    replied
    This is like asking if there's big room techno without a beat, is it classical music if it's 180bpm with downtuned guitars, drum kit, bass and black metal vocals and is it rap music if there's no rap, just a banjo.

Leave a comment:

• Ahornberg
    replied
    for me it's ambient

Leave a comment:

Working...
X