chiptune elements in ambient music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chiptune elements in ambient music?

Has anyone used chiptune elements or artefacts in ambient tracks?

could be an interesting combination ... what do you think?
    ahornberg.bandcamp.com
    soundcloud.com/ahornberg

I have used glitchy elements in a few things, not sure if we are talking about the same definition.

Neither are released yet though. One is from Lawlor's Vega series and a piece I am working on with Dean Richards.

Comment

Originally posted by Ahornberg View Post
      Has anyone used chiptune elements or artefacts in ambient tracks?

could be an interesting combination ... what do you think?
      Certainly interesting. Chiptune sounds is not the kind of sound I would at all associate with ambient. - I associate ambient with organic sounds, spacious, lots of reverb. Usually easy listening, relaxing music.
      Chiptune is about raw electronic sounds. For the more purists, no effects would be allowed since there were no effects (as we understand them today) back in the days of the Commodore 64 and similar machines that initiated the genre. The effects that were possible at the time were the legendary C64 arpegios, ahhh and yes... it's sound chip did have a decent filter. Other than that it was the use of a second voice, with lower volume and delayed from the main voice to create an echo effect.

Maybe a dare could be made out of this: "create an ambient piece that incorporates chip tune elements"
      Might be quite a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by AlienXXX View Post
        Certainly interesting. Chiptune sounds is not the kind of sound I would at all associate with ambient. - I associate ambient with organic sounds, spacious, lots of reverb. Usually easy listening, relaxing music.
        Chiptune is about raw electronic sounds. For the more purists, no effects would be allowed since there were no effects (as we understand them today) back in the days of the Commodore 64 and similar machines that initiated the genre. The effects that were possible at the time were the legendary C64 arpegios, ahhh and yes... it's sound chip did have a decent filter. Other than that it was the use of a second voice, with lower volume and delayed from the main voice to create an echo effect.
        wonderful statement! you know what you're talking about.

Originally posted by AlienXXX View Post
        Maybe a dare could be made out of this: "create an ambient piece that incorporates chip tune elements"
        Might be quite a challenge.
        yes, starting a dare on this topic would be a real challenge ...
        ahornberg.bandcamp.com
        soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

Maybe, put a lot of reverb on that 8bit element and make it an arp it'll be interesting

Comment

Chiptune ambient challenge please!
            D.N.P...Dona Nobis Pacem...Grant us Peace
            D.N.P web presence

Comment

Ambient chiptune is kind of the aesthetic to my main project.

https://soundcloud.com/windfallen

:3
              Chiptune/Downtempo/Ambient
              Vaporwave/Drone/Ambient

Comment

Originally posted by D.N.P View Post
                Chiptune ambient challenge please!
                what kind of rules for an ambient chiptune challenge would you suggest?

maybe using 4 mono tracks only?

maybe using only square, triangle, saw and noise waves?

maybe crush the mix down to 8 bit?

maybe use legacy hardware only?

maybe do all sequencing in a tracker-software?

maybe ... ?

By the way ... I got an old Gameboy with an LSDJ cartridge I've never used for more than playing around a bit :daydream:
                ahornberg.bandcamp.com
                soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

We don't want to make it too hard.
                  Make it any way you like, but.... Basic chip sounds & analogue synth only. Fade in/out & delay should be the extent of the effects, no Paulstretching or modern niceties.
                  D.N.P web presence

Comment

Originally posted by D.N.P View Post
                    We don't want to make it too hard.
                    Make it any way you like, but.... Basic chip sounds & analogue synth only. Fade in/out & delay should be the extent of the effects, no Paulstretching or modern niceties.
                    ok!

we should set a deadline ... let say Sept. 22th (14 days from now)
                    ahornberg.bandcamp.com
                    soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

Do you want to put it on the challenge page?
                      D.N.P web presence

Comment

I did ... see http://www.ambientonline.org/forum/s...-Chiptune-Dare
                        ahornberg.bandcamp.com
                        soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

Yay!
                          D.N.P web presence

Comment

I don't find difficult to mix chiptune and ambient. I did it for one of my tracks : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geZfETC2Enk
                            Ii became an atmospheric chiptune tune
                            Ambient Backing Tracks
                            Youtube || Bandcamp

Comment

Using the necro to say - Disasterpeace is a popular musician who blends these two approaches really really well!

FEZ OST: https://music.disasterpeace.com/album/fez-ost
                              Hyper Light Drifter OST: https://music.disasterpeace.com/albu...-light-drifter
                              Music workshop with Disasterpeace: https://youtu.be/PH04VJ8jxvo

Wonderful chiptune/glitch noises, piano, beautiful chords and pad arrangements.
                              "Before posting accomplishments, ask your self 'would people I don't know like this?' And 'Is this actually good, or do I just feel proud?'"
                              -imgur user

Comment

Working...
                              X