Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field Recording Editing/Audio Editing

Hey all,

So I have a bunch of nice field recordings, but they could really use some "repair" or cleanup. It's mainly just a bunch of a background noise from the natural environment, but it drowns out some of the foreground details. I've tried using the noise removal in Audacity and it doesn't seem "sensitive" enough? Perhaps the audio isn't necessarily cleanable to the extent I'd like, but maybe you guys would have tips on editing field recordings or suggestions with audio editing software. My ideal package would be to approach iZotope's new RX5, but I can't really spend any dollaroonees at the moment.

Also, feel free to share audio editing ideas too in achieving cool stuff!

You could try ReaFIR, comes with Reaper or separately in their free ReaPlugs package (http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/)

The subtract mode allows you to create a noise profile (ie. just sample a bit of pure noise in your recording) then subtract that from the audio. Can be hit or miss, FFT artifacts can be heard with the wrong settings (as in all processors of this type) so you need to play with the settings, profile etc. I've got good results with some careful twiddling and a source that didn't need too heavy processing, certainly better results than I managed in Audacity.
    Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

never used this but you might look into waves z-noise - i just had it in my mind because I saw it was on sale and not from any experience with it

Comment

I had eyes on this here: https://acondigital.com/products/restoration-suite/ I think it was/may still be discounted for black friday. I managed not to buy anything this year, but I plan on checking out the demo. I hope it provides basic capabilities for a fair price. I was looking for alternatives to RX5 which is too expensive for me.
        www.soundcloud.com/phoenstorm

Comment

I have the restoration suite and have a hard time getting decent results from it. It may be 100% user error but it sucks up a lot of cycles without fully addressing any problems I am having. Like anything, demo first.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys, already demo'd a couple of 'em and trying to figure what works best.

Comment

let me know about your experience with the acon resto suite demo.

Comment

Originally posted by aoVI View Post
                let me know about your experience with the acon resto suite demo.
                Yeah just played with the demo for awhile and I'm having a similar issue to what you described earlier. Having a hard time getting decent results with it... hm.

Comment

I have the Acon Restoration Suite. I find the results to be generally pleasing. You do get some artifacts, but I guess it all depends on how you're going to process the sounds afterwards. This track below was made using samples de-noised through the Restoration Suite. It was mainly to get rid of wind. There were some artifacts, but once the reverb was added, they were largely inaudible. I pretty much only use the de-noise part of the suite.

https://scanningtheplanets.bandcamp.com/album/surface

Comment

Adobe Audition CS6 has good denoiser, dehisser, declicker and dehummer onboard.
                    I use this denoiser and dehisser a lot (but mostly for sound-design, though).
                    SoundCloud // FreeSound // Twitter
                    Get exposure for your electronic music through WEATNU.COM independent promotion network.
                    "Shortwave" - collaboration album with Ager Sonus

Comment

After further experimenting, I think I've discovered that a more preemptive approach tackles this problem. I got a very nice windscreen for my ZOOM H5 - and it does WONDERS. I can literally stick this thing in front of a fan and record the fan without any wind noise. Field recordings are coming out really clean too.

Comment

Which windscreen did you get? I've been looking at them, but see mixed reviews. I've got a zoom h4n.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
                        https://scanningtheplanets.bandcamp.com/album/surface

Comment

Some small company called "micover". I watched/listened to a lot of reviews, including a couple where they compared it to Rode's windscreens. They blew Rode outta the water. I bought mine from Amazon for roughly $25.00. Would definitely recommend their windscreen,

Comment

I use izotope RX3..
                            I believe RX 5 is even more powerful.
                            https://www.izotope.com/en/products/...d-edit/rx.html

I will check the Rea FFT. I own Reaper64 but never explored the Rea Plugins other than the K-12 metering solution they have.

Comment

Working...
                            X