Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bandcamp Uploads

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bandcamp Uploads

    Hi fellow producers...
    Just thinking out loud here...

    Do you sell your releases as 24 bit 44.1 or 16 bit 44.1 as the highest quality on Bandcamp?
    Just wondering whether there's true desire for 24 bit downloads or are people still happy with a 16 bit CD quality one?

    I always record/mix in 24/48 but thoughts on final delivery appreciated.

    I'm going to be uploading as 24 bit for best quality possible and all that.

    But don't get me started on whether I believe we'll all hear a discernible difference in the dynamic range of these pieces though :-)
    And as for whether my music is any good at any bit depth... well that's a whole other debate LOL!!!
    Last edited by IDTIL; 08-09-2017, 07:29 PM.

  • #2
    Personally I appreciate it when artists do offer the 24 bit. I think that's nice especially if it was recorded that way. I have friends that always take the highest quality option. That said, I always choose the ogg download option for pretty much all my bc purchases. My ears and equipment aren't super hifi so I don't notice a difference. Keep in mind, I failed the blind test distinguishing between a 320kbps mp3 and a wav of the same track. So Bandcamp's ogg quality works for my ears and feels, and certainly saves space as I usually download my bc releases right to my music collection on my phone's external sd card, which will one day fill up, but not nearly as fast if I'm downloading wavs and flacs

    So to answer your questions, my music uploads are 16 bit wav. and I'm still fine with 16bit CD Quality, but there's a good amount of people who prefer 24bit and there's handfuls of those who if they know that's how it was recorded, in 24 bit, then 16 would be totally unacceptable to them.
    {-virabelo-}
    http://txti.es/a220

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by a220 View Post
      Personally I appreciate it when artists do offer the 24 bit. I think that's nice especially if it was recorded that way. I have friends that always take the highest quality option. That said, I always choose the ogg download option for pretty much all my bc purchases. My ears and equipment aren't super hifi so I don't notice a difference. Keep in mind, I failed the blind test distinguishing between a 320kbps mp3 and a wav of the same track. So Bandcamp's ogg quality works for my ears and feels, and certainly saves space as I usually download my bc releases right to my music collection on my phone's external sd card, which will one day fill up, but not nearly as fast if I'm downloading wavs and flacs

      So to answer your questions, my music uploads are 16 bit wav. and I'm still fine with 16bit CD Quality, but there's a good amount of people who prefer 24bit and there's handfuls of those who if they know that's how it was recorded, in 24 bit, then 16 would be totally unacceptable to them.
      Hi a220. You make some valid points there. I agree, it's nice to give listeners that 24 bit option too. As for mp3 vs wav's, IMHO if they were played one after the other to most of us in a normal room with a normal amount of noise going on around us, I doubt many of us (me included) would be able to notice much difference either :-)

      Comment


      • #4
        I tend to work in 24/48 and mix to 16/44.1

        No real thought behind either choice.

        The 4 people that usually download my new releases have never asked for more.

        Comment


        • #5
          I work on the basis that there is a slight chance that someone might want to re-work some of my stuff, so I have been uploading everything to the interwebs directly as a 24bit 44.1kHz WAV file, which is the settings of my DAW.

          As for downloading, I usually only bother with 320kbps for reasons touched on in the above posts. My ears are well fubar's now and can't hear anything above 14kHz and my left ear is worse than my right.

          Old age and too much Heavy Metal...
          https://soundcloud.com/synkrotron

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by aoVI View Post
            I tend to work in 24/48 and mix to 16/44.1

            No real thought behind either choice.

            The 4 people that usually download my new releases have never asked for more.
            Maybe I should export it at 8 bit and master them onto my old speccy 48K cassettes in the loft... I could wipe over an old copy of Horace goes Skiing LOL :-)
            Joking aside though, I'd love to do a cassette release at some point though. Something magical about a row of cassettes on a shelf. I'd have to buy a tape deck again though LOL.
            Last edited by IDTIL; 08-10-2017, 03:15 AM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
              I work on the basis that there is a slight chance that someone might want to re-work some of my stuff, so I have been uploading everything to the interwebs directly as a 24bit 44.1kHz WAV file, which is the settings of my DAW.

              As for downloading, I usually only bother with 320kbps for reasons touched on in the above posts. My ears are well fubar's now and can't hear anything above 14kHz and my left ear is worse than my right.

              Old age and too much Heavy Metal...
              Can't beat a bit of classic 'Maiden' now and again :-)

              Comment


              • #8
                I record in 24-bit 48kHz and convert to 32-bit 96kHz when post-processing. Then save as flac lossless and upload to bandcamp.
                "All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf, Lord Of The Rings

                Comment


                • #9
                  i really should learn all about this - i have uploaded as WAV files as they said the quality is better than mp3. No-one's downloaded anything yet so no need to worry about the sales yet!

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X