No announcement yet.

Hello Reaper; Goodbye Audacity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you all so much, again, for the responses. It's a deep well out there. I followed some of the links you guys referred to and found myself at Amplitube and saw that you can “demo” the new Amplitube 4 product. So I created an account and downloaded it. What they provide in the demo is a bare bones set of models with apparently 98% of everything else visible, but not operational. Obviously they intend that I love it so much that I purchase 4, and also buy a bunch of add-ons. Fair enough. But after futzing around to set it up as a VST and getting Reaper to see it, I spent about 30 minutes listening to some of the models, and well, I think I'm convinced. The amp sound is much better than what I had in Reaper's JS:Convolution amp modeler. Way better. (Crap, now I'm thinking I've got to remix my last 6 pieces….)

I'm not a guy that's looking for a lot of amp models; frankly, I'm sure I'll find a “clean” one that I like and just use it on every piece I do. So it seems sort of ridiculous to be buying a product with a boatload of amps, cabs, mics, rooms, when I'm actually trying to keep it simple. But again, it's about the sound, and from reviews and all of your comments, I've sort of concluded Amplitube is, if not “the best”, at least it's “in the same league as the best”, which frankly, is good enough for me. I'm a big fan of not letting perfection be the enemy of the good.

They are selling Amplitube 4 (basic product) for $75, Deluxe for $150, Max for $250. Everything is half price due to anniversary sale. I'm gonna sleep on the basic product; I'm thinking that will probably be enough.

Thanks again for all the input!
    Fender Strat; Taylor 814ce; PRS SE 277 Baritone; MXR Custom Comp Deluxe; EHX Pitch Fork; SA LA Lady; Boss FV-500H Volume; Ditto X2 Looper; TCE Flashback Triple Delay; Strymon El Cap; Strymon Dig; SA Nemesis; Neunaber Immerse; Strymon Big Sky; Boss RC-300 Looper; Fishman Loudbox Artist ; Blackstar ID 15:TVP amp.

Comment

Originally posted by whispersinspace View Post
      I'm sure I'll find a “clean” one that I like and just use it on every piece I do.
      That's pretty much what I did with the Guitar Rig Twang model.

I guess with the pedals you have, you run your amp fairly clean anyway? Getting a decent sim like Amplitube should enable you to work in exactly the same way if you want.

Maybe pointing out the obvious but, with Reaper, you have two effects slots; one on the way in and one after the recorded track. So, if you had your amp sim in the 'in' slot then the sound of the amp (and any other amplitube effects) would be recorded permanently with your playing (just like it is now if you mic'ed your amp up). If you have it in the 'after' effects slot then you can change the amp sim etc after recording. I tend to only use the after slot so have the option to totally change everything after the track is recorded (though bear in mind I don't use any external effects, only VSTs etc).
      Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

The Line6 Pod Farm stuff is very good, but I think it's only available for free if you purchase one of their audio interfaces, and you have to pay to upgrade to the full suite of sims.
        Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Originally posted by whispersinspace View Post
          I'm gonna sleep on the basic product; I'm thinking that will probably be enough.

Smart move.

If you do ever feel the need for something more, I assure you IKM will have another sale; they are right up there with Waves on multiple sales per year. It is never too late.

Comment

Thanks again, again..... I found that the Amplitube 3 that they "gave" me, has a handful of working, clean, amp sims. So I'll use them for a while to get familiar with it and if I like it, then I'll take the plunge......
            Fender Strat; Taylor 814ce; PRS SE 277 Baritone; MXR Custom Comp Deluxe; EHX Pitch Fork; SA LA Lady; Boss FV-500H Volume; Ditto X2 Looper; TCE Flashback Triple Delay; Strymon El Cap; Strymon Dig; SA Nemesis; Neunaber Immerse; Strymon Big Sky; Boss RC-300 Looper; Fishman Loudbox Artist ; Blackstar ID 15:TVP amp.

Comment

Working...
            X