Effects you don't or very rarely use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aoVI View Post
    I'd give up reverb before I gave up delays. To me, reverb is just a complex delay.
    Yeah. Delay really doesn't have to be a basic echo.

I could sell my reverb hardware and delete my reverb plugins and still drown everything in reverb, thanks to delays.

Delays are not only the basis of most reverb designs, chorus, and flanging, but also some filter designs (especially digital) and physical modeling.

I guess I don't use much ring modulation -- but having realized that, I kind of want to incorporate it in my next recording!

Comment

Originally posted by falls a star View Post

I guess I don't use much ring modulation -- but having realized that, I kind of want to incorporate it in my next recording!

Yep some of the 'I don't use this effect' answers might end up inspiring others to try that effect!
      http://soundcloud.com/red-fog
      http://landofthedrones.blogspot.ca

Comment

Surprised to see so many people not using delays. I've found them to be quite useful for drones, especially in combination with very wet reverbs.
        I sometimes venture into glitch territory as well, where they're handy to cause drum mayhem.
        I recently coproduced an EP (yet to appear) with guitar looping ambient, if I remember correctly we had 12 delay pedals running at some point.

In terms of FX I hardly ever use, I'd say phasers and flangers. I find them to be very fickle to use in my process and never quite get them to the point where I want them.
        Other than those, practically anything in my FX rack gets used in various chains.
        Mind.Divided
        [music driven by emotion]

Comment

I seem to have abandoned subtlety recently
          Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
            I seem to have abandoned subtlety recently
            Interesting! Cause me too (if you listen to my last album, the overall aesthetic is quite away from subtle, especially noticable on the pieces that are more experimental-oriented. All over the place synthesis & effects orgy

Comment

Originally posted by MindDivided View Post
              I recently coproduced an EP (yet to appear) with guitar looping ambient, if I remember correctly we had 12 delay pedals running at some point.
              Have you met aoVI? Sure you'd have a lot to talk about. :D

Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Red Fog View Post

Yeah that's a good one too, I never been able to find a place to ring mods in my fx chain.
                I never used them (all a bit Dr Who imho) until I got the free Filterjam by AudioThing. It's a resonant filter with ringmod incorporated and it's really great for subtly warping sounds. A simple percussion loop can become something altogether warmer and more interesting, doesn't have to be a dissonant klang as ring mods seem traditionally to be.
                Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Flanger, phaser or ring mod. I purchased Melda's ring mod effect last year and I found it difficult to incorporate into my stuff.

As for extreme stretching, I like it and even have a complete album which is nothing but Paul Stretch with some reverb and delay. I took some short 10~20 second sections of jazz piano phrases and stretched them to ten minutes. Worked for me, and I even sold a couple of copies. And I also made it quite clear how I created each piece, for what it is worth...
                  I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Latest release - Anomaly available on Bandcamp

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by GaryG View Post

Have you met aoVI? Sure you'd have a lot to talk about. :D
                    One of the reasons I love producing ambient is that every rule can be thrown out. aoVI will surely agree!
                    Mind.Divided
                    [music driven by emotion]

Comment

Well, i use distortion only for some drones from time to time, and i seriosuly never use looper, if it can be considered as effect

Comment

Originally posted by Jan Roos View Post
                        Hmmm, any of the well-known effects I do use at some level. Much of my sound design is built with chains of effects and going crazy with automating them. One I never touched before, but started using recently, is saturation. Multi-effects are something I rarely use, as I prefer to build my own chains.
                        How do you use saturation in your music? I admit I don't really understand saturation, though I've used some presets in Ableton. Maybe I should read up on it some more.

Grain Delay on Ableton is a very intriguing effect and I often attempt to use it in my effects chain. But I can never dial in anything I like so I always end up taking it out. You can get some cool results with percussion using grain delay though.
                        Bandcamp | Youtube | SoundCloud

Comment

Originally posted by dreamware View Post

Grain Delay on Ableton is a very intriguing effect and I often attempt to use it in my effects chain. But I can never dial in anything I like so I always end up taking it out. You can get some cool results with percussion using grain delay though.
                          Live's grain delay (along with other granular delays too) is more efficient for textures of all sorts, creating crunchy glassy sounds and other strange textured soundscapes more than purely drone or pads, although in creative hands it could be used and surely achieve cool results.

Comment

I never use clipper or saturation, not even soft ones. I prefer to define the mixing spectrum with equalizers and dynamics processors.
                            bandcamp |·| youtube |·| facebook |·| soundcloud |·| twitter |·| instagram

Comment

Interesting question. Never phaser, flanger, dont really use compressors all that much - tho I do use a limiter a lot to bring extreme peaks down. Never use paulstretch or similar, never use any of those tape saturation things, never use guitar amp sims or fx although I do like the bluecat pickup simulator,
                              BANDCAMP https://greghooper2.bandcamp.com/

Comment

I almost never use chorus or flanger in my ambient compositions; it's just hard to make them sound good in that sort of music (at least for me). I don't use paulstretch or similar effects either, because I think that half the goodness of slowing down a song is having it pitch down.
                                Last edited by zweiton; 09-15-2020, 06:45 PM.
                                your friend,
                                zweiton

Comment

Working...
                                X