Zynaptiq Adaptiverb, Morph 2, Wormhole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zynaptiq Adaptiverb, Morph 2, Wormhole

In another section, (Member Releases: Synkrotron's Fatto In Italia), a topic of interest came up, so I'm posting here......

I am looking to buy some inspiration. Andy (Synkrotron) mentioned that he really likes Adaptiverb and I did some research and the reviews are great. It's not just "another reverb set", it seems to have synth-like and very unusual capabilities. Adaptiverb is pricey, ($259), but they have a full featured 30-day demo, which I think I'll try. Further, they have a bundle called "Design", ($499, gulp), that includes Adaptiverb, Morph 2 and Wormhole. The other 2 plugins also seem interesting from the YouTube demos I've seen.

I would be using these with a guitar input mostly, but also from midi keyboard. Recently I've been especially interested in the transitions from "one thing to another". This interest dates back to early rock bands, like Yes and Supertramp that would seem to crunch 3 different songs into one, and I have always been intrigued by the seamless segues from one to another. It seems like with these 3 tools, I'd have an wide array of possibilities to explore.

Just wondering if others have experience with these products? And if so, is it reasonably comprehensible? The demo explanations sound like Electrical Engineering 401.
    Latest release: whispersinspace.bandcamp.com

I downloaded the trial version of Adaptiverb. First, it sounds great. But the number of pre-sets is overwhelming, hundreds I guess. Just plowing through them will take hours. I've set up a loop of slow chord changes and have been stepping through the pre-sets, and as is mostly the case, many of them are not interesting to me. I haven't digested the controls whatsoever. The manual is indeed an Electrical Engineers dream.

Onward......

Comment

Hi Bill,

I thought I should chip in here and tell you how I use Adaptiverb. I hasten to add, this is just my way, and not the right way, but it works exactly as I want it to. You can then decide if you wish to try the same or continue with your own experimentations, or both.

First of all, I only ever use the Fine Tune page. This is a screen capture of my settings for the Pantheon track:-

adaptiverb.jpg

And then I only ever use the Default preset, nothing else. I went through a period of trying the presets and decided, quite quickly, that they didn't do anything for me. That said, I suggest that you carry on trying them, for now, and then come up with your own conclusions.

Okay, I'll do my best to try to explain the different controls, as I understand them, how I use them and my usual settings. I will obviously be repeating what is already in the manual but I am basically explaining how I understand the plugin and how I use it.

Starting top left, there are a selection of buttons and a couple need to be set depending on how you intend to use Adaptiverb.

The first button would be best turned on for now as it labels the parts of the plugin and turns on tool tips.

The question mark button opens the manual.

The third button represents a MIDI DIN connection and turns on additional buttons around the plugin which allow you to set up MIDI options. Personally I do not bother with this as I only automate settings from within my DAW.

The fourth button opens a schematic of the signal route through the plugin.

The fifth button, looks like a clock, toggles "live mode" and should be turned on if you intend to play into Adaptiverb in a live situation. I do normally turn this on but, to be honest, I cannot see the point as I always have my dry/wet mix set to 100% wet. I always use Adaptiverb on an effects bus rather than placing direction on the audio track of my project. I therefore set the dry level with the audio track fader. But habit has me turning it on to start with.

Jumping to the seventh button, an eye, this turns on "preview mode" and turns down the internal resolution of the plugin and, according to the manual, CPU load. This in turn allows you to turn down the audio buffer size of your audio interface and therefore reduce the latency even more.

The sixth button is new to V1.2.0 and it basically locks live mode and preview mode when loading a new preset.

It is important to remember to turn off live mode and preview mode when it comes to mixing, and even more important when rendering, although I have, in the past, forgotten to do so and not really noticed the difference. Probably my 59 year old ears...

PRE-DELAY - is the same as any reverb and I do sometimes experiment with different values. I tend to stick with between 60 ~ 120ms.

LOW-CUT - filters out any frequencies below that figure from entering the plugin. Often I leave it at 80Hz but sometimes drop it to 40Hz if I feel the need.

INPUT AIR - is supposed to accentuate any high frequencies. I generally leave this set to zero.

SIMPLIFY - The manual gives a better description of this setting and all I will say is that I experiment with different level and sometimes automate this setting.

RICHNESS - Again, the manual gives a better description than I can come up with and, like SIMPLIFY I will experiment with settings and sometimes automate.

INTERVAL - This is linked to RICHNESS and I always set this to -12. I never feel happy with applying the -5 or +7 settings for some reason...

PITCH RANDOMISE - I certainly experiment with this setting but, to be honest, I don't really hear much happening.

DIFFUSION - As the manual, this setting "can be subtle," but, like PITCH RANDOMISE, I still play around with this.

SUSTAIN/REVERB MIX - This is the big X/Y control pad in the middle of the plugin. I tend to set this as per the image above and then leave it. Perhaps, one day, I will automate the settings. The settings work pretty much as you would expect.

BREATHINESS - This setting adds back in "noise" from the original signal, giving that "breathy" sort of effect. I usually leave this set to zero but sometimes automate it.

The Harmonic Contour Filter stuff:-

This is where it gets a bit tricky, and is probably why I keep it simple. I generally understand the principles, but I totally ignore certain aspects for my work.

HARMONIC FILTERING - I rarely use negative values. I will sometimes automate this setting. Regarding the manual; In my opinion, I think the manual explanation of this setting is not that great. For starters, it is one big paragraph and it is also wrapped around the picture and I find it difficult to read. The most important thing to note is that it is this setting that does the magic and so it is the one setting that needs to be dabbled with the most, I think.

HARMONIC FILTER MODE - I always use TRACK. I have tried KYBD (keyboard) but I simply don't like it. Might give it a bash again at some point...

HCF WEIGHTING - Again, the manual kind of loses me with its explanation of this effect. All I will add is that I prefer positive values. Turning off (setting to zero) is not an option as it would totally negate the way I use Adaptiverb.

TRACKING - I always leave this set to FOLLOW.

FREEZE - I never use FREEZE and it is always off. Might sound daft, that, and I am sure that many would be thinking, isn't this the point of Adaptiverb? And it may well be for some, but I do not use it at all because all I am doing is taking advantage of the HCF section and how it processes all the notes and sounds that are sent to it.

REVERB MODEL - My understanding of this is somewhat limited as I do not understand the full science behind reverb. All I know is that I like it, and that's that. Since using Adaptiverb I appear to have settled on the R-TRC setting and sometimes use the HD variation.

REVERB SOURCE - I tend to leave this as the default setting. I don't use FREEZE so I suppose I could set this to 1.

REVERB SIZE - I tend to leave this at around 0.85. If you set it to 1 the reverb tail is infinite, at least I think so. Runs for longer than I care to listen to it haha! So 0.85 kind of does it for me. I do not fully understand the relationship between SUSTAIN (on the X/Y pad) and REVERB SIZE. I just tried an experiment and it seems that they are not related at all. If I set SUSTAIN to 1, it will eventually fade away, but setting REVERB SIZE to 1 gives you a continuous drone. Which is interesting...

REVERB DAMP - This just dampens the higher frequencies and I generally leave this set to zero and I then use an EQ plugin for that duty.

Hmmm... Reading back over all that I realise that I may not have helped.

Also, I realise that there are still parts of Adaptiverb that I need to develop myself. Perhaps we could use this topic to do just that, between us

I will leave this here for now and add more posts here over the coming days and weeks, and hopefully get you to a point whereby you are either convinced that you need Adaptiverb or that you can do without. I will finish by saying that, at this point in time, there is no other effect that I know of that can do what Adaptiverb does.

cheers

andy
      Last edited by synkrotron; 06-12-2019, 02:20 AM.
      I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Regarding Wormhole.

I have that. I don't use it. I find the latency issues hinder my workflow and I also do not like what it does. You may decide differently

I also tried Morph but found that the Melda morph pluging was better and less expensive. That said, I since found that I could do a much better job morphing effects using my DAW and don't even use the Melda morph any more.

Comment

I thought I'd post a couple of tests I did with Adaptiverb in the early days.

This first one is simple a synth sequence which is sent into Adaptiverb. At first, all you can hear is the simple sequence and no Adaptiverb. Then, gradually, I increase the send level to Adaptiverb and reduce the level of the sequence:-

And this one, which I have turned back into a private track:-

https://soundcloud.com/synkrotron/test1/s-3C5LH

I didn't realise that SoundCloud placed private tracks that have been made public right back at the top of your profile and I didn't want this one receiving any attention...
          Last edited by synkrotron; 06-13-2019, 01:07 PM.

Comment

Andy, that's awesome...thanks for taking the time to lay all this out...whew!

Jumped on here as soon as I could and I've set your values, as per your screen picture, and I'm running it on my looped chord changes, no other effects. Yeah, it's a beautiful reverb. I'm doing an A/B compare with the Eventide Blackhole (H8000 Blackhole preset) plug-in, which is my current go-to VST reverb. I'll post more as I go.....

+15 minutes.... First impressions: OK, so the Richness/Interval combination is interesting! Kind of like a shimmer but without the metallic-ness. I like that. And I don't like the -12, seems to bass-y, muddy. I do like the +12, and so far, I like the 5's and 7's...not so much the Detune (center)

Pitch Randomize is nice; it's subtle but gives a little weirdness to the chords (not too much, even at 100%)

Diffusion is so subtle, frankly, I can't hear it.. (69 year old ears)

OMG!..... Your sentence: "HARMONIC FILTERING -.............. The most important thing to note is that it is this setting that does the magic and so it is the one setting that needs to be dabbled with the most, I think."
            You got that right!.... I'm smiling as I play with this slider..... hold on..... Oh, yeah, now this thing is starting to come alive!
            Allright, I have to drag myself to another thing. But clearly this HCF area is where the rubber meets the road.
            Andy, your explanations are really helpful. As you point out, the manual is pretty, well, overly tech-y. And I'm a retired software developer so I'm not scared off usually. But this manual seems written for "insiders" or people with real experience with filters and oscillators and such, which for me, is a black box..... later.....
            Last edited by whispersinspace; 06-12-2019, 11:48 AM.

Comment

LOL! Good to hear you are having fun with it Bill

One thing I have stopped doing is calling Adaptiverb a reverb. I'd rather call it s smudger, or, as the manual say, a re-synth, as that what it does very well. It takes away all the hard edges of a sound and smooths them out, hence my reference to "smudge."

I still use a reverb. In fact, now that I have the Blackhole VST I sometimes use that along with my go-to reverb, which is Pro-R and Adaptiverb too. Each have their own unique sounds and effects, sometimes beyond normal reverb.

I am really looking forward to hearing what you come up with Bill

Comment

Cheers, Andy... running out now....

Comment

Satisfied adaptiverber here. For my tastes, it's a bit like shimmer-type verbs in that there is an identifiable flavor to it, so I often use it in conjunction with other fx.

If you are patient, they usually have a Black Friday sale where it drops down to a more reasonable range (I think it was 149 last year or the year before...)

Comment

Originally posted by aoVI View Post
                    (I think it was 149 last year or the year before...)
                    That is true, so it's a matter of whether you want to wait that long or not.

I bought into Adaptiverb when it was initially released and V1.0.0 was around the £150 mark (including taxes), so I guess I was lucky discovering it as early as I did.

Comment

[QUOTE=aoVI If you are patient, they usually have a Black Friday sale where it drops down to a more reasonable range (I think it was 149 last year or the year before...)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that tip. I think I might just wait for the sale. $250 for a plugin is, well, pretty expensive for my blood. I'll keep fiddling with the demo and see if I'm convinced to throw caution to the wind.......

Comment

Originally posted by aoVI View Post
                        Satisfied adaptiverber here. For my tastes, it's a bit like shimmer-type verbs in that there is an identifiable flavor to it, so I often use it in conjunction with other fx.

If you are patient, they usually have a Black Friday sale where it drops down to a more reasonable range (I think it was 149 last year or the year before...)
                        Lo and Behold!......just hit my inbox a minute ago.....

ADAPTIVERB On Sale!
                        Massive Savings on Our Unique Reverb
                        Dear audio aficionado: from now through June 30th, 2019, seize the opportunity and add our very special reverb to your toolkit - at massive savings!
                        Was USD 259/EUR 249* Now! USD 149/EUR 159*
                        * EUR prices quoted inclusive of 19% German VAT. Price without VAT is EUR 209.24 (regular) or EUR 133.61 (sale price).

Comment

• aoVI
                          aoVI commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I asked them to do a favor for a friend. ;)

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
                        I thought I'd post a couple of tests I did with Adaptiverb in the early days..........

And this one, which I have turned back into a private track:-

https://soundcloud.com/synkrotron/test1/s-3C5LH

I didn't realise that SoundCloud placed private tracks that have been made public right back at the top of your profile and I didn't want this one receiving any attention...
                        yeah, Andy, I see what you've done with that "jig" music. It really smears it out, such that the melody and "jig" aspect disappear into the wash. Very nice, and useful (I think)....thanks

Comment

All Waves plugins on sale.... this must be the day...
                          All vocal plugins on sale. | View Online
                          ALL VOCAL PLUGINS. 50% OFF.
                          Now is the best time to get these must-have plugins for vocal mixing and production: Use coupon code HALF
                          Vocal Rider
                          Vocal Rider
                          The #1 time-saving plugin: Rides your vocal levels automatically
                          Reg. $249 | Sale $59
                          WITH COUPON $29.50
                          Waves Tune
                          Real-Time
                          Waves Tune Real-Time
                          Quickly achieve auto-tune effects, perfect for hip hop production
                          Reg. $199 | Sale $69
                          WITH COUPON $34.50
                          CLA Vocals
                          CLA Vocals
                          Chris Lord-Alge's complete vocal mixing chain in one easy plugin
                          Reg. $149 | Sale $49
                          WITH COUPON $24.50
                          F6 Dynamic EQ
                          F6 Floating-Band Dynamic EQ
                          The ultimate problem-solving EQ: 6 dynamic bands with a built-in RTA
                          Reg. $99 | Sale $69
                          WITH COUPON $34.50
                          Aphex Vintage
                          Aural Exciter
                          Aphex Vintage Aural Exciter
                          Make vocals bright, sparkling & present: rare vintage model
                          Reg. $299 | Sale $69
                          WITH COUPON $34.50
                          Abbey Road
                          Chambers
                          Abbey Road Chambers
                          3 real-life echo chamber reverbs with extra S.T.E.E.D. delay tails
                          Reg. $199 | Sale $59
                          WITH COUPON $29.50
                          Abbey Road
                          Reel ADT
                          Abbey Road Reel ADT
                          The classic Beatles vocal doubling effect created at Abbey Road
                          Reg. $249 | Sale $69
                          WITH COUPON $34.50
                          Renaissance Vox
                          Renaissance Vox
                          The classic dynamics plugin for in-your-face vocals
                          Reg. $79 | Sale $49
                          WITH COUPON $24.50
                          DeBreath
                          DeBreath
                          Time-saving vocal breath remover for vocal production & voiceovers
                          Reg. $99 | Sale $49
                          WITH COUPON $24.50
                          Butch Vig Vocals
                          Butch Vig Vocals
                          The gritty signature vocal sound of Nirvana, Foo Fighters producer
                          Reg. $149 | Sale $69
                          WITH COUPON $34.50

Comment

Hi Bill

Originally posted by whispersinspace View Post
                            and useful (I think)
                            I use that smudging effect all the time, Bill, by sending all manner of sounds, at the same time, to Adaptiverb, which is on a buss. I then use automation to vary the send levels of each, and is how I achieve those slowly changing pad sounds.

So, did you get Adaptiverb then?

Comment

Working...
                            X