Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composition Theory

You might think this is a little crazy...but bear with me

A few years ago I heard Eno being interviewed on the radio by Stuart Maconie

Afterwards I had a dream in which Stuart asked me about my theory of composition. I woke up and wrote this piece of music.
    I honestly think that as a theory for composition it is valid.

See what you think

Enjoy'
    David

That's basically how I do it too.
    https://ablaut.bandcamp.com/ | https://hearthis.at/ablaut/ | https://soundcloud.com/ablauto

Comment

In another Eno interview I heard he said words to the effect of relish your mistakes. Then sit down, relax and have a cup of tea. Job done. Good attitude.
      Graham
      https://www.youtube.com/c/THEBassBus
      https://soundcloud.com/bassbus
      https://hearthis.at/graham-blanche-ov/

Comment

Enjoying this greatly! Not only the spoken word but the music in the background. I have dreamed songs (although it's a rare experience for me when it happens) and woke up to record what I could remember of them. I think as serious musicians who love what we do, we all have these gestalt moments when the music comes clearly and shines through, sometimes in just one take! Other times, we get bits and pieces of a composition, and over time we work it into something listenable. All streams of consciousness tend to get us to the same destination, which is the 'ocean'- the source of our inspiration and our creativity, that collective consciousness that bypasses our rational thinking minds, and gets to the heart of who and what we are in the depths of our being.
        "All we have to do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf, Lord Of The Rings

Comment

I like the composition. And the lyrics are sound advice! Unfortunately, I'm in one of those periods where I am not liking anything I'm trying to compose lately. Oh, well; all things pass.
          Nothing is a mistake. There’s no win and no fail, there’s only make.— John Cage
          Hear some of my music at hearthis , Soundcloud, Bandcamp, or just say Ello! Also see H.P. Dronecraft collab with ontol.

Comment

Originally posted by windspace View Post
            I like the composition. And the lyrics are sound advice! Unfortunately, I'm in one of those periods where I am not liking anything I'm trying to compose lately. Oh, well; all things pass.
            I think like everyone one else I find things go in phases. Sometimes I hate everything I have done and sometimes I thing there is a unique musicality to the way I sneeze, I try to record something every day with the view that I can learn from my mistakes. However, there are times when I have to turn off the computer, go out for a walk, look at the view and enjoy the air. I often find that when things are bad this does not improve my composition skills but it does seem to give me a better perspective......hopefully.

Yours, David

Comment

Originally posted by Sonic Bodhi View Post
              Enjoying this greatly! Not only the spoken word but the music in the background. I have dreamed songs (although it's a rare experience for me when it happens) and woke up to record what I could remember of them. I think as serious musicians who love what we do, we all have these gestalt moments when the music comes clearly and shines through, sometimes in just one take! Other times, we get bits and pieces of a composition, and over time we work it into something listenable. All streams of consciousness tend to get us to the same destination, which is the 'ocean'- the source of our inspiration and our creativity, that collective consciousness that bypasses our rational thinking minds, and gets to the heart of who and what we are in the depths of our being.
              This may all sound a bit nuts but I will share it:

A few years ago I had some sleep problems. So I had to go to the sleep clinic at the hospital and sleep all night with these wires on me. One of the problems was that I was not achieving REM sleep and so I was not dreaming. The doctor told me that they were not completely sure of the function of dreaming but he said it was like de-fragging your hard drive. Your brain sorts things out. Eventually I starting dreaming again and sometimes one of the things I do is try to "load up" my mind (reading, thinking on something) before I sleep in the hope that I will have a fresh idea in the morning. It does not always work and sometimes the results are unexpected. However, it is something that I have had some success with.

I hope that this helps

Love,
              David

Comment

I would just like to illustrate my comment above with something that happened to me:

Last year I recorded this piece

On the bandcamp page I wrote this:

"On Saturday September 10th I woke up at 6 in the morning from a dream where Jerry Garcia had been playing a concert for me in the bedroom of the house next to mine when I first got married. I opened my laptop and played this EP"

Honestly, that and the story I tell at the beginning of the piece (the visitor, the party next door, the band and the girl called Amazon) is completely true

Obviously there was something in my head that prompted that memory (as well as throwing Jerry Garcia into the mix)

Yours
                David

Comment

it's great to read everyone's thoughts about how they approach music or how it comes to them - it's very similar in my experience also. i sit at the computer and play with the sounds until i hear something i like then usually record w/o knowing where it will go sometimes it's good and when i listen back i'm surprised that i wrote it - luck and happenstance play their part too - one time cubase just stopped recording while i was playing but once i'd restarted it had left a nice gap in the composition that i wouldn't have put there

Comment

Working...
                  X