From Finland, hi!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From Finland, hi!

I'm a life-long guitarist, now at 45 I'm getting short on real bands, and find myself wanting to make music on my computer, by myself.

I grew up listening to Brian Eno and Aphex Twin, among other ambient-o-nists. Building soundscapes is a very natural way for me to make music. That said, I constantly find myself struggling with the technical aspect, like how to actually get my DAW do what I want it to. In a way that's ok because I like a lofi atmosphere and feeling, but still this is the aspect I would really want find a lot of help with. As an example, I made a song today, but now I'm stuck with mixing and mastering...

Other than music, I tinker with plants.

HI and very welcome! )
    a good DAW for everything is Reaper (www.reaper.fm) - maybe you know it? and for transforming any guitar riff into a longform ambient soundscape (both to experiment and to try seriously) still the best 'paulstretch' (www.sonosaurus.com/paulstretch/)plus for long long reverb/decay those plugins valhalla-shimmer reverbs from www.valhalladesp.com !
    I hope for very longorm minimalist finnish/scandinavian mood guitarscapes in the future to enjoy from you )

Comment

Welcome Nestor !

Comment

Whatsup!! Welcome to the forum, i'm from Finland too :D Eno and aphex twin have been big for me too growing up.

Mixing and mastering is not that complicated in the end, maybe check a few videos on youtube and just try things out and if you have some specific questions, shoot em, there's very helpful ppl full of knowledge here Fabio above already gave some good plug in intel, valhalla has some very wavy free plug ins too you might want to cop them (check out "massive" for some huge reverbs). Then go grab shattered glass audio's SGA1566 for your master channel, it's free too (you can donate to the company, they're a great little plug in house!). It's a great plug in to get some nice color, warmth and "air" to your mixed track. I usually have it first in my master channel, then some EQ, then maybe some stereo enhancement if needed, then a mastering limiter.

There's also a thread about mastering ambient music here somewhere, there might be some good tips to start with.

Let me know when you upload some tracks, would be cool to hear and check out your music!

Comment

Originally posted by Fabio Keiner View Post
          HI and very welcome! )
          a good DAW for everything is Reaper (www.reaper.fm) - maybe you know it?
          Yes I have tried it out, as also Ableton Live, but for some reason FL Studio sits best with my brain, or maybe it's just that it's the one I have struggled with for the longest

I will definitely check all the recommended vst's out.

See you around here soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Nestor Mähnä View Post
            I'm a life-long guitarist ...
            You may want to check out Chords of Orion's channel on YouTube. https://m.youtube.com/user/chordsoforion

Comment

Yes I have tried it out, as also Ableton Live, but for some reason FL Studio sits best with my brain, or maybe it's just that it's the one I have struggled with for the longest

I also use FL Studio! I don't hear of many other ambient producers using it, but I've found that it works best for me as well. One of the most capable DAWs I have ever used once you get past the learning curve.
              your friend,
              zweiton

bandcamp

Comment

welcome and enjoy :-)

Comment

FL Studio is great for Ambient :-) I have been using FL Studio since 2006 :-) If you have questions a bout FL Studio I'm willing to help. Just PM me.
                  Yuroun Sound Design

Comment

Originally posted by zweiton View Post

I also use FL Studio! I don't hear of many other ambient producers using it,
                    Now you know one :-) Me!

Yuroun Sound Design

Comment

Working...
                    X