Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello :-)

Hello peeps,

I've known about AO for a couple of months now, since trying to "raise my profile" at SoundCloud. The are quite a few artists here who I am already following, and enjoying their music.

I guess that, for the moment at least, I am here as a fan.

My own music cannot be considered to be "ambient" and I certainly do not tag it as such. But I am certainly going to give it a go... Sooner rather than later

Just a brief account of my own listening pleasures...

I have been into electronic music since watching Dr Who, back in the sixties, when all the incidental music was created by the BBC Radiophonic Workshop. I'd be about six or seven at the time. As a child, however, I didn't do anything about that interest, and I don't think the the BBC Radiophonic Workshop even released any work of theirs anyway.

I remember Popcorn being played on the radio, but I was nine then, and it never even occurred to me, at the time, to go and buy a single... we didn't even have a record player back then anyway...

So my first album purchase, when I was about ten, was Planet Suite, by Gustav Holst. I had to pester my parents to buy that for me, after I visited the London Planetarium on a school trip. I also listened to some of my dad's classical stuff too, on his Rigonda record player. It wasn't a large collection, as we were not that well off back then, but it was a start.

In my teenage years I went through the usual phase of listening to whatever was playing on the radio at the time, so I bought singles by bands such as Sweet, Cozy Powell, Suzi Quatro, etc. I did prefer the more rockier stuff I guess. But one night, while listening to some late night radio, I heard some synthesiser music playing, and I waited until the end in the hope that the DJ would give some details. It turned out to be Tangerine Dream, and that was pretty much it for me... I became a big fan of theirs. I bought Rubycon in 1975 and I wore that album out...

Prior to that, Kraftwerk had released Autobahn, in 1974, so that was really my first proper synth album.

Then in 1976, Jean Michel Jarre released Oxygène. So, although being quite different from Tangerine Dream, I had to have that, because it was synth stuff.

If there was a synthesiser in it, back then, I had to get it, when funds allowed. Having said that... There is lots of stuff that I didn't get. Even to this day I have never listened to any of TONTO's Expanding Head Band!

On the ambient side, I guess my personal collection is a bit thin on the ground. I have Waiting For Cousteau by JMJ and Music For Airports by Eno, but that's about it. But I find that there is ambient stuff in my collection that is not actually "sold" as ambient, it just is, if you know what I mean...

Anyway, enough of that, and thanks for getting this far...

I'm going to take a hike now and see if I can work on some nice evolving soundscapes so I can contribute something to the ambient world

cheers for now,

andy
    I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Latest release - Anomaly available on Bandcamp

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

What an introduction!

The whole goal of this forum is to provide a place for both producers AND fans of ambient music alike, to come together to appreciate, learn, and grow. Really nice to read all that, you're going to love this community. :D

Looking forward to hearing some of that ambient music of yours when you finally get around to it. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.

Cheers,
    -S1gns
    Synphaera Records
    Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Hi S1gns,

I might try to dig out some stuff in my "archive" that may just pass as "ambient." Would it be okay to run some bits past you, either here or on SoundCloud?

I'm going to have to remaster them, if I can, because I've learned a whole load of new stuff about mixing and mastering in the last couple of months and I now realise that the "music" I was creating a couple of years ago was, to be frank, rubbish.

cheers, and thanks for the welcome,

andy

Comment

Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
        I might try to dig out some stuff in my "archive" that may just pass as "ambient." Would it be okay to run some bits past you, either here or on SoundCloud?
        Definitely! Upload it to SoundCloud, make it a private track and share it. My artist account is the same name "S1gnsOfL1fe"

Cheers,
        -S1gns
        Synphaera Records
        Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Wowza. Amazing introduction and if I may, very well written to. What I enjoyed about reading your post was the amount of imagination that was put into it. I could feel that immediately as I was reading it. I enjoyed it immensely. But yeh Rubycon has always been a real all time favorite of mine. Oxygene to is another cracker.

A very warm welcome to the ambient spaceship m8 and I hope that you enjoy your stay with us :tu:
          life believe is not a dream so dark as sages say

https://soundcloud.com/meta4-803929896

Comment

I'm feeling nostalgic after reading names like Sweet and Suzi Quatro :party::party:

Welcome to the Home of Hum, in the Domain of Drone. No lightbulb required
            Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

happy you finally made it here!

Comment

Originally posted by richy tronik View Post
                Amazing introduction and if I may, very well written to.
                Haha! Thank you

I do tend to ramble on a bit, and on forums there's no one to stop me...

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
                Welcome to the Home of Hum, in the Domain of Drone. No lightbulb required

I'm looking forward to a bit of humming and droning myself

I'm just getting into all this time stretching, which I've never seen before (Paul Stretch)...

Originally posted by aoVI View Post
                happy you finally made it here!

Comment

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
                  Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
                  Definitely! Upload it to SoundCloud, make it a private track and share it. My artist account is the same name "S1gnsOfL1fe"

Cheers,
                  -S1gns
                  Okay, thanks

I have "followed" you...

cheers

andy

Comment

Hi there.

Awesome introduction ! Welcome to AO, you're gonna love it here.

Looking forward to hearing some of your work. Don't be afraid to post your tracks on this forum, the community here are very supportive, very experienced and very encouraging !

By the way Paulstretch is a very cool tool ! Use it myself from time to time !

Cheers
                    James.
                    Please feel free to check out my music - thank you
                    https://olivary.bandcamp.com/music

Comment

Hiya James,

Thanks for the welcome

Dutch Oven... That brought a smile to my face haha!

cheers

andy

Comment

Working...
                      X