Hello from YnotB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from YnotB

Stumbled upon this forum about a week ago and have been here most days since having a look round. Like what I see. Seems to be a great place.

To attempt to introduce myself: I'm no spring chicken - I've been playing various styles of music for decades - pub bands in London and jamming and gigging with musically-minded people in various places on my travels. I'm currently resident in north Germany and after playing in a couple of bands here, decided to go it alone and write and record my own stuff. Like many of you, I suspect, I do the whole thing from writing to mastering myself, and it's great fun and challenging at the same time.

My interest in ambient music has been lurking for quite some time - I saw Tangerine Dream in Brighton in the late 70s (possibly not actually ambient, but I hope you see where I'm coming from) and I've had an ear open to Eno's stuff since his Roxy days. So, recently I started listening and reading more about the ambient thing and really realising how cool it is. The aim of writing music without structure fascinates me. And that's what I'm working on now. I've always written music to explore some aspect of theory, and have realised that ambient music has enormous potential for that. For example, I've written a few pieces in the Lydian mode recently and doing that and attempting to create atmosphere/emotion without structure is exciting stuff. Love it.

Well, hope that's something like an introduction. I'm generally not much of a forum person, but this one seems different. I hope I can contribute something useful and learn plenty from activity here. Looking forward to it....
    Bandcamp / Soundcloud / Website

Hiya,

Welcome to the AO forum

Like you say, it's a great place and there are a few things going on that helps us push our own boundaries. And the regulars are a helpful bunch.

Been sampling some of your stuff already and it sounds pretty good to me

See you around...

Cheers

andy
    >]:| ~ > Bandcamp < ~ |:| ~ > SoundCloud < ~ |:| ~ > YouTube < ~ |:[<

Comment

Will do

Comment

Welcome to AO--glad you are here.

It is a pretty positive place, and a good resource for composers; from discussing strategies and processes, getting feedback, or just shooting the breeze.

Comment

Sounds like you've found your new home.

Many will attest to this, AO is the most supportive ambient community on the planet.

Welcome!

Cheers,
          -S1gns
          S1gns Of L1fe
          Patreon | Synphaera | exosphere | YouTube

Comment

Thank you. I like what I see :-)

Comment

Herzlich wilkommen im Ambient Centre of Excellence, where buzzwords are encouraged, paradigm shifts are debunked, synergies hit the ground running, and strategies are leveraged.

Ok, Some beer may be involved.

I hope you enjoy your visits.
              Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Thanks . I may have sampled one or two German beers last night myself... Head feels a bit that way this morning ;)

Comment

Originally posted by YnotB View Post
                  I may have sampled one or two German beers last night myself...
                  Interesting... What did they sound like? :biggrin:

Comment

Sort of... slurp, slurp, glug, glug, if I remember correctly. Noisy drinker :canthearyou:

Comment

Originally posted by YnotB View Post
                      Sort of... slurp, slurp, glug, glug, if I remember correctly. Noisy drinker :canthearyou:
                      Ah... I see.

When you set you were sampling it I thought you meant that you were recording the sound of it... ;)

Comment

And to think I used to be a fan of British humor...:cantlook:

Comment

If it is eventually proven to be British humour (the jury is still deliberating), mind your spelling :biggrin:
                          Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

I dunno... It may be 1960's "Carry On" humour, but I may be taken to court over that claim...

Comment

Well... It's humour and Andy and I both seem to be Brits.....

Comment

Working...
                              X