Had no idea such a place existed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Had no idea such a place existed!

Hello everyone. I have played guitar for a long time, decades, and enjoy every style of music (whether I can actually play every style is another question...). I have always enjoyed technology and this has extended to home studios and all kind of guitar stuff. I have always been interested in synthesizers (even had a guitar synth at one time). My interest in ambient music is something I never really thought about, but it was always there. As a young "jazz snob" I couldn't get enough of Lyle Mays including As Falls Wichita... and his first solo album (saw him on that tour). Later, I would always listen to the radio show Hearts of Space (sometimes cool, sometimes a bit too new agey...). In the past year or two I have listened to people like Robert Rich and Steve Roach. I don't know what people will make of my knowledge (little to none) or taste here, but what blows my mind is how these people take something so artificial, the synthesizer, and make such ------- sounds? What si the word? I can't find it. I'm NOT going to say "organic" as that is pretension over the top.

I found this place when I discovered one of my guitar amp sims (GR5) had some interesting "ambient" patches. Did some searching and here I am. I hope to learn much more about ambient music. For any ambient guitar people here, help me understand. Why is "shoe gazer" such a negative term?

Hi mate, welcome to the ambientonline forum

There are a few guys that specialize in ambient guitar stuff here and I am sure they will introduce themselves soon enough .

I play guitar too, of a fashion and GR5 is my favourite vat. I've also dabbled with some ambient guitar stuff which I have uploaded to my SoundCloud page.

I also quite like shoe gazer music, so it isn't a negative term for me

Cheers, and a merry Christmas,

andy
    >]:| ~ > Bandcamp < ~ |:| ~ > SoundCloud < ~ |:| ~ > YouTube < ~ |:[<

Comment

Welcome dude! I'm sure you will find enlightenment at Ambient Online...OK, maybe not actual enlightenment...but definitely good information and plenty of support.
      We have Groups here also, but they're not well advertised. You might be interested in this one:

http://www.ambientonline.org/forum/group.php?groupid=2

Comment

Nice to have you here.

GR is my favourite sim too though I found the Ambient patchs interesting but... not 'ambient' as I see it.
        Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Welcome! I've tinkered a bit with ambient guitar, but not enough to call myself knowledgeable by any means. Gimme a Hardwire RV-7 with the reverse reverb cranked and a delay pedal or two, and that's about as far as I get. :razz:

But yeah, this place is pretty great for chatting with folks that are well-familiarized with ambient music. I'm still a n00b here, but I've certainly enjoyed my stay so far!
          Homepage | Bandcamp | Instagram | SoundCloud | Spotify | Twitter | YouTube

Comment

Welcome to AO!

Don't worry a bit about your tastes, knowledge of ambient, or anything like that while you are here; we all came here to learn and share our experiences based around making recordings.

While our focus here is on the variety of styles that fall under the very broad Ambient genre tag, our membership comes from a wide array of backgrounds, interests, tastes, abilities, and cultures. It's a good community of helpful and friendly humans, so if you you are a helpful and friendly human interested in ambient, you'll fit right in.

Comment

Originally posted by aoVI View Post
              Welcome to AO!

Don't worry a bit about your tastes, knowledge of ambient, or anything like that while you are here; we all came here to learn and share our experiences based around making recordings.
              Absolutely.

Welcome!
              Bandcamp / Soundcloud / Website

Comment

Working...
              X