Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings to the Dreamers of the Dreams

Greetings all,
    I have been lurking around for a few weeks in the threads reading up info on production and listening to your works and posting to 2 challenges, and feel like I should now introduce myself.

I am Cetus the Whale. Seriously though I am not a real leviathan (it would be very hard to type this thread if I had the fins of a whale to use for hands) I have been exploring electronic music production seriously for a very short time. Since about November 2017 when I purchased a Moog Mother 32 and began my descent into ambient music. Before that, I had used a MC-909 Groove Box to make simple beats inspired by footwork music (though I was no good(see Retard Chamber EP on my soundcloud account))

After getting the mother 32 I began integrating it with the Groove Box through a simple 4 channel mixer that I got for free at a closing Radioshack (R.I.P). Started hooking more things to the ShackMixer, a turntable, auxillary cable, and tape players. Thats when I finally decided to take the plunge and download the trial to Reaper. That was about a week ago.. now I am totally addicted to making sounds digitally. The possibilities are ENDLESS!

As I said before, I haven't been doing this very long so there are things I am still learning. Every time I create a new piece, I come out just a tad bit more creative with new experiences on my shoulders. I am here mainly to read the tutorials section, the Music Theory and Composition section, Sound Design Section, and to participate in the community projects. I welcome and appreciate all feedback (positive and negative).

Thank you for the welcome into the community.

Cetus the Whale.

Welcome to AO!

Comment

Hi Cetus,

It's good ot have you here with us on AO..and good to see that you're still there.

You'll find you've found the best place online to learn all you need to know about producing ambient music here on AO and there are many threads that go into the things you're interested in finding more out about, as I'm sure you already know yourself. It's just a case of being as active as your time will allow and joining in when you can..no big secrete to it at all.

Regarding Reaper..I don't use it myself, but it's a solid DAW and will let you do practically everything you need to do, when it comes to the production of ambient music..as long as you include a large dose of creativity..but that's goes for any DAW out there. If you haven't done so already, hit YouTube and check out some of the really good tutorial videos your find there on Reaper..there's a lot of them.

Likewise, it's worth pointing out how important it is that you really learn how to use the tools you have, which might sound obvious, but it's something folks sometimes overlook starting out. Basically, get a solid understanding of everything you intend using to make music..from your DAW, to your instruments..be they software, hardware or both..as well as the most important of all, the basics..such as EQ, Compression and Reverb. I'd go as far as to say these are the BIG 3 you should really focus first and foremost starting out, because they're so vital to you and the music you will make, regardless of what genre of music you produce. Sometimes people make the mistake right from the start, of becoming gear hoarders..a thing we all become eventually at some point in time, but you should try to get to grips with what you have first and then build on that knowledge. If you don't, then you might find yourself with a mountain of software and synths, yet still be lost and confused, due to the overload of possibilities having so many choices can often bring.

Just like a Whale, take things easy, swim slowly through the vast ocean of creativity and musical knowledge and hone your craft..it's not a race and you're really only competing with yourself, if you're even competing at all. Take baby steps and be gentle on yourself..it's more about the journey, than it is about the destination you want to reach. Regardless, you'll get to where you are meant to be..musically speaking..in the end.

Welcome once again and I look forward to reading your posts on here.

All the best..

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Ambient Mechanics View Post

Just like a Whale, take things easy, swim slowly through the vast ocean of creativity and musical knowledge and hone your craft..it's not a race and you're really only competing with yourself, if you're even competing at all. Take baby steps and be gentle on yourself..it's more about the journey, than it is about the destination you want to reach. Regardless, you'll get to where you are meant to be..musically speaking..in the end.

I really appreciate the great advice and your support. It has been somewhat overwhelming in terms of possibilities in a DAW, but I have been learning one little bit at a time. I printed out a copy of a guide to mixing from this forum that i have found very useful in helping me along with everything in Reaper. Even though it is targeted at DAW users, i found it helpful in mixing with my Groovebox.

I have to say that of the Big 3, the one that confuses me the most is Compression. I have a compressor on some of my tracks, but i can never really tell what it is doing on my track. I'm going to dive through some of these forums to find some info on the topic today.

Comment

Originally posted by CetustheWhale View Post

I really appreciate the great advice and your support. It has been somewhat overwhelming in terms of possibilities in a DAW, but I have been learning one little bit at a time. I printed out a copy of a guide to mixing from this forum that i have found very useful in helping me along with everything in Reaper. Even though it is targeted at DAW users, i found it helpful in mixing with my Groovebox.

I have to say that of the Big 3, the one that confuses me the most is Compression. I have a compressor on some of my tracks, but i can never really tell what it is doing on my track. I'm going to dive through some of these forums to find some info on the topic today.
          Compression is perhaps the most confusing of techniques to master..as it's pretty simple is principal, yet many find it a complex topic and hard to master.. I won't go into it here, as others far more knowing cover it elsewhere on here, so just do a search.

Comment

Originally posted by CetustheWhale View Post
            If you're using a compressor and it's doing what it's supposed to be doing and you can't hear it doing it, then you're using it correctly.

Comment

Thank you. Over compression is something i have read is easy to do in certain situations.. I don't think i have over compressed anything for sure yet.. thank you for the advice

Comment

Working...
              X