Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brian Eno's new album, 'For All Mankind'

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Brian Eno's new album, 'For All Mankind'

    You can stream his new album, which is part of the Apollo Extended Edition, on NPR! It releases on July 19

    https://www.npr.org/2019/07/11/73993...of-our-spheres
    Bandcamp | Youtube | SoundCloud

  • #2
    Nice, thank you for posting this!
    https://metapop.com/sonic-bodhi
    https://www.youtube.com/user/SonicBodhi1
    https://sonicbodhi.bandcamp.com/
    https://hearthis.at/sonic-bodhi-iw/

    Comment


    • #3
      I too thank you for posting this!

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks for this dreamware. Just listened...hmmm
        "The dumbest of people are the first to tell you."annodeMy Music
        Check out my ambient radio show list @ recommended listening

        Comment


        • #5
          Listening now and about halfway through. A little underwhelming for Eno, definitely some solid stuff here and there though.
          The motto is "Well, it can't hurt"...

          Soundcloud | Bandcamp

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by storyinsoil View Post
            Listening now and about halfway through. A little underwhelming for Eno, definitely some solid stuff here and there though.
            Sounds like you thought long and hard to express how your feeling about this record.
            "The dumbest of people are the first to tell you."annodeMy Music
            Check out my ambient radio show list @ recommended listening

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by annode View Post

              Sounds like you thought long and hard to express how your feeling about this record.
              Yeah, now that I've finished the record my sentimentality is the same.

              I get that this was written for a movie that was released over 30 years ago, but the music teeters on the safe side of Eno's output.

              Releasing this material as an addendum to a record that contains (in my opinion timeless) songs like An Ending (Ascent) and Deep Blue Day just doesn't do the original justice.

              To be perfectly honest, I haven't been that impressed with anything Eno has put out since LUX and even then I thought then Small Craft on A Milk Sea was better. (Not counting his music for installations material since that was a compilation with songs over 30 years old.)
              The motto is "Well, it can't hurt"...

              Soundcloud | Bandcamp

              Comment


              • #8
                Better. I get that. The music scene in 1975 was really stale for me considering Jazz, Fusion Jazz, Rock and experimental. This album was a fresh approach we needed then that got me to think that music wasn't dead yet. I used to experiment with tape back then too, so I was ecstatic to see others doing it too. Yes, compared to later music it's rather simple and uneventful, but it's that tape technique and the ideas he was bringing forth with his label at that time(and before) that made it important.

                Jazz fusion had become commercialized and Rock coming off of the late 60s phenomena had died down and left us with all these loud ballad bands with falsetto voices. Eno helped to give us something to hold on to.
                Last edited by annode; 07-16-2019, 09:44 AM.
                "The dumbest of people are the first to tell you."annodeMy Music
                Check out my ambient radio show list @ recommended listening

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yep, my copy of Discreet Music is regularly played and is just as interesting to me now as it was to me 10 years ago when I first heard it.

                  I wish I felt that way about his recent material.
                  The motto is "Well, it can't hurt"...

                  Soundcloud | Bandcamp

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by storyinsoil View Post
                    Yep, my copy of Discreet Music is regularly played and is just as interesting to me now as it was to me 10 years ago when I first heard it.

                    I wish I felt that way about his recent material.
                    I thought 'The Ship' was a really good effort...have you heard it?
                    "The dumbest of people are the first to tell you."annodeMy Music
                    Check out my ambient radio show list @ recommended listening

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by annode View Post

                      I thought 'The Ship' was a really good effort...have you heard it?
                      I have not, I'll give it a listen. Thanks for the suggestion!
                      The motto is "Well, it can't hurt"...

                      Soundcloud | Bandcamp

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by storyinsoil View Post

                        Yeah, now that I've finished the record my sentimentality is the same.

                        I get that this was written for a movie that was released over 30 years ago, but the music teeters on the safe side of Eno's output.

                        Releasing this material as an addendum to a record that contains (in my opinion timeless) songs like An Ending (Ascent) and Deep Blue Day just doesn't do the original justice.

                        To be perfectly honest, I haven't been that impressed with anything Eno has put out since LUX and even then I thought then Small Craft on A Milk Sea was better. (Not counting his music for installations material since that was a compilation with songs over 30 years old.)
                        I agree. The music is pleasant enough but nothing remarkable. I think Eno deliberately restrains himself and this all goes back to his original idea of ambient music as something that isn't intrusive to the listener and is "as ignorable as it is interesting". Since Eno in the 70s, there have been different styles of ambient that have evolved and I'm generally more accustomed to drone-style ambient that is often very enveloping and dense with textures and sounds. So I always have to adjust my perspective a bit when listening to Eno. That said, I feel the balance in For All Mankind leans a bit more towards "ignorable" than "interesting".

                        I'll second annode 's recommendation of The Ship, excellent album. I'm a huge fan of High Life by Eno and Hyde; it's not ambient music, but really forward-thinking experimental rock imo.
                        Bandcamp | Youtube | SoundCloud

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xL2MC9CoXdc

                          ...straight from the horses mouth. The mans got so much material that's unreleased, that he could put out album after album after album for the rest of his life, and I guarantee everyone will sell. I also bet that some greedy slimeball will probably ignore his request of a self destructive vault on his death, and everyone would still fork up their money for his never before heard material. None the less, his energy will still be around in the form of his music and art. I will always appreciate that I come from the same species as Eno...

                          this track had me dead set on Eno not being of this world:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEaOUoKI-T8

                          I also loved The Ship.. I thought the cover of I'm Set Free was gorgeous and want it to be the one playing when they jettison my body into outerspace when I'm gone.
                          Last edited by X3+us; 07-16-2019, 01:13 PM.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            storyinsoil

                            I just noticed I have been thinking I was in the topic thread ' Deconstructing Music for Airports' and my replies to you thinking your were talking about Enos's 'Discreet Music'.
                            Sorry for all the confusion Alex.

                            So yes, one listen to 'All Mankind' didn't do anything for me either. I'll give it another run through before I chuck it forever.
                            'The Ship' is a strong record and I like all of it 100%. Some of the best ambient on that one.
                            "The dumbest of people are the first to tell you."annodeMy Music
                            Check out my ambient radio show list @ recommended listening

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X