Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

• Originally posted by GaryG View Post

that means nothing to me.
      you're so mystic and soulful.

Comment

that means nothing to me.
        Aye! We did sing our own version of this song on our journey from Prague

We also watched Midge Ure perform the same song in Bath earlier in the year. Not that we are big fans as such, but he was supporting Robert Plant...
        I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

• Now in Salzburg... Mozart anyone?

Comment

• so, you're on your grand tour then? good for you! I need a holiday, it's been too long...
            https://soundcloud.com/quietist

Comment

• Yeah, but not so grand really Phil.

We got to Vienna and was supposed to go to Budapest next but we were both rather put off by advice on the official UK gov travel advice page for Hungary. If Val had have insisted I would have "braved" it but she didn't, so we are kind of heading home now. Have to be back in the UK by the end of the first week of October for various reasons.

Not sure where we are going after Salzburg...

Getting to this point we visited Bruges, Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague then Vienna.

We'll probably head back across Germany and into Belgium before crossing back into France and through the tunnel.

I have visited more countries over the last three weeks than the whole of my live previously... I am not a well travelled person really haha...

Comment

• that sounds amazing - i'm very jealous. I haven't driven in Europe, it sounds like it really opens up your options. what's been your favourite place so far?
                https://soundcloud.com/quietist

Comment

• Originally posted by The Quietist View Post
                  what's been your favourite place so far?
                  Mmmm... Good question.

We have generally stopped three nights at each city so that we have two full days to explore. Generally being the operative word.

We did spend three nights/two days in Bruges and we enjoyed it. Had one slightly disappointing experience in one cafe and we ended up walking out without being served. Just a short-ish walk to the bus stop which then takes you right into the centre of the city for a decent price.

We only spent two nights/one day at Amsterdam. It was a very long walk to the public transport and neither of us are much good on our feet any more. We decided that if we ever came back to Amsterdam it would be fly in and stop right in the middle of the action. Great place, of course, but slightly overwhelming in a way.

Berlin was only a two nights/one day as well. Public transport was good but somewhat packed at times. Such a large city and another overwhelming experience. More research should have been carried out perhaps in order to plan properly. Transport was good and you can get ticket that last all day and take you around various zones, similar to London I suppose.

Prague was a really nice city. We stopped the two days/three nights. It was a bit of a hike to the tram station but once there they were reasonably regular. As per Berlin, you bought a day ticket and then hopped on and off the trams/busses to suit.

Vienna was pretty amazing and I guess, seeing as we stopped there for three days/four nights, you could say it was our favourite. Although on the third day we were flagging a bit and just went out for something to eat later on. We went up the tower on the Danube which was a better experience than I thought it would be at first. We ended up staying there for three hours or so, waiting for the sun to set and the city lights to come on. We would definitely go back to Wein just for that tower...

Salzburg was a quaint little town, full of musical history of course. We stopped there for three nights/two days but burned ourselves out with a trip up to the fortress. Lots of mountains roundabouts, as you would expect I suppose. On the second day we just went to Hanger 7 which is where Red Bull show off their stuff, if you're into that sort of thing.

As I type we are sat on a car park in Pforzheim, which allows overnight stops, sharing spaces with diggers and dumper trucks. I guess it is going to get quite noisy in the morning... Tomorrow we are now planning to visit Nürburg with a slight possibility of taking the camper van around it. Depends whether it is open to the public or not and if there are too many loonies there.

And then it will be off to Belgium, perhaps stopping at Ghent for a couple of days. Not sure yet... The trip is kinda making itself up as it goes along...

cheers

andy

Comment

• Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
                    Tomorrow we are now planning to visit Nürburg with a slight possibility of taking the camper van around it.
                    You mean take the camper around the Nürburgring? That's Top Gear level craziness.
                    Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

You mean take the camper around the Nürburgring? That's Top Gear level craziness.
                      Aye Gary, but we'll be taking at least half an hour to get round not the manic ten minutes that Sabine Schmitz did LOL!

Comment

• Surely Amelinghausen was a highlight, wasn't it andy?
                        Bandcamp / Soundcloud / Website

Comment

• Wondering when my ears are going to stop ringing, bloody Wire, hope I’ll be that ferocious in my 60s.
                          Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

• Originally posted by YnotB View Post
                            Surely Amelinghausen was a highlight, wasn't it andy?
                            Hiya Tony

I wasn't sure about mentioning that, for some reason, so I'm glad you popped in and did.

As it happens, Peeps, while in Amsterdam I contacted Tony to see if he would be up for a cup of while we were in the Netherlands. For some reason I thought that is where Tony lived,, building his boat on the coast somewhere. Turns out Tony lives some distance away but not too far off the route between Amsterdam and Berlin, so we set up a rendezvous round at his place. Had a lovely chat and met Tony's good lady and youngest son. So, yeah, of course it was a highlight

I could have stayed longer but I was reminded that the camp site we were at close the gates at 22:00 and we had to leave Tony and family in peace.

I hope the biscuits were okay? We still haven't sussed out the best shops in Germany...

Amelinghausen is a great little place. We had a meal at Le Terrazza before popping down, which was nice, and there were a few other places that looked good.

Oh, by the way, our lap of the Nurburgring didn't happen :(

First of all we were refused point blank on Wednesday evening on the basis that our vehicle was "too high and too heavy."

I sent an e-mail to the Nurburgring, asking for confirmation if my van, of such a size and weight, would be allowed on the track. I got a reply on Thursday saying that it would be, so I then asked why my van was refused. The guy replied saying that he had checked with the track manager and that there was some uncertainty with my vehicle.

Couldn't understand that at all... I mean, the track manager didn't even come to see our van.

I kind of left it there. You never get anywhere arguing with authority... Just makes them dig their heals in if you challenge them.

Could have been a blessing in disguise...

Comment

Wondering when my ears are going to stop ringing, bloody Wire, hope I’ll be that ferocious in my 60s.
                              Never heard of 'em I'm afraid.

Were they good then?

We went to see UFO last year, at the Warrington Parr Hall. I think Phil Mogg (70) was a bit drunk but he was still doing okay on stage, considering...

Comment

Wondering when my ears are going to stop ringing, bloody Wire, hope I’ll be that ferocious in my 60s.
                                ha! sympathetic listening across the ocean!

I haven't listened to any Wire for a couple of years, but on a whim put on Send for the commute home yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                X