X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by meta4 View Post
    Metaphysical Function an absolute dream to play around with and of course
    Cheers.
    Yeah, that is my favourite ensemble, for sure. Love using it when designing drones. I don't bother with the sample side of things and just use the oscillator and effects stuff. I've set up a track template for REAPER with automation for all the things I want to tweak over time.
    I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

• Trying to link two OCTA-CAPTURE USB things... Much head scratching

Not thrown anything out of the window just yet...

Comment

• Should be sleeping but woke up around midnight (I was in bed for ten) and couldn't get back to sleep, so, here I am, back in the studio getting everything plugged in and ready to go......

Comment

• Okay, all the audio is hooked up... Need to make a start on MIDI stuff now... Dusting off my old hardware synth manuals!

Comment

• OB-12 has been a nightmare. Lovely sounding VA synth but its MIDI implementation is terrible. That said, there is a slight possibility that I broke it a bit back when I tried to update the firmware... Not been right since... Prog and Bank changes are not behaving as they should. And the weirdest thing is, I can record prog and bank changes to REAPER but when I play it back to the OB-12 it simply stays in the current bank. I have now given up, but it is still a valid sound source, methinks, so will still be using it.

I am now working on getting into the MIDI implementation of my Novation NOVA...

I don't remember it being this difficult twenty years ago..........

Comment

• i feel your pain - I have almost no comprehension of the technical side of synths and daws - if a controller or link doesn't work then it just lies dormant. :( this is why I don't buy much stuff - I know it would lie unused
              https://soundcloud.com/quietist

Comment

• Originally posted by The Quietist View Post
                i feel your pain - I have almost no comprehension of the technical side of synths and daws - if a controller or link doesn't work then it just lies dormant. :( this is why I don't buy much stuff - I know it would lie unused
                Well, I used to be good at this stuff... Old Age is a total bummer...

I'm going to post a link to something I tweeted earlier... not sure if it will work here:-

https://twitter.com/i/status/1082641468093796352

okay... doesn't embed like YouToobs and stuff, so I'll just leave that link.

Ain't anything worth watching really and it's just a quick one minute video taken with my phone of a test project in REAPER I have on the go to try and (re)learn all my MIDI stuff... Just two simple sequences going on (OB-12 and Nova) with an even simpler drum sequence (DM5).

Comment

• interesting you say you think you broke it with the firmware update. My OB12 has never played nice since I updated the firmware - I did it hoping it would sort out some issues. Turned out it created more issues than it fixed. Currently residing in a store cupboard. Perhaps I should get it out again and have a play with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scoobydoo555 View Post
                    interesting you say you think you broke it with the firmware update. My OB12 has never played nice since I updated the firmware - I did it hoping it would sort out some issues. Turned out it created more issues than it fixed. Currently residing in a store cupboard. Perhaps I should get it out again and have a play with it.
                    Ah! You have one of them Blue Beasts too?

Shortly after getting mine, early 2000's, I joined a band and pretty much stopped creating my own stuff. So it hardly got used back then. And then I had a long time away from music and didn't get back into it until around 2010. And at that point I decided to go down the VST route so all my hardware was shelved.

I have been thinking, over the last three days, should I bin this thing and get a more modern proper analogue synth, like the Roland SE-02, but my OB-12 is paid for and is at least still making a sound, which is more than I can say of my old JP-8000 which gave up the ghost last year (gutted).

I reckon that if you are using the OB-12 as a live keyboard then I'd get it out and get reacquainted. But as I am crap live and I am trying to incorporate it into a MIDI setup, it's a pile of pants...

cheers

andy

Comment

• I'm thinking the same tbh - mine's in a cupboard at work :D Will dig it out tomorrow and have another go.
                      I'm predominantly hybrid of ITB and hardware. I like lots of sounds and tweaked presets - I like the immediacy and don't have the patience for modular (fair play if you all do this!)
                      I do have a System 1m though and like to patch stuff.

Dan

Comment

• synkrotron - i know you are taking a break for a bit but, after watching that clip, i think you'll come back and break the internet with something beautiful and happy
                        https://soundcloud.com/quietist

Comment

• Originally posted by The Quietist View Post
                          synkrotron - i know you are taking a break for a bit but, after watching that clip, i think you'll come back and break the internet with something beautiful and happy
                          Haha! I wish

Still early days yet... I still haven't tried synchronising my MIDI stuff with my modular stuff yet... Could be an enormous disappointment...
                          Last edited by synkrotron; 01-08-2019, 04:16 PM.

Comment

• I got around to synchronising my MIDI stuff with my modular stuff yesterday.

I was expecting many problems and thought I'd have to spend time working out timing offsets and what have you. But it went quite smooth. Perhaps I should still be worried about that.

I decided to go down the route of setting my DAW, REAPER, as the master. That was a painless operation, once I googled it and found out how to do it. I kinda knew but something didn't sound right at first.

I had always thought that I could then use the Beatstep Pro for connecting to my modular system. And that's what I did... MIDI cable from my #1 OCTA-CAPTURE MIDI Out to the MIDI In of the Beatstep Pro, which I then set to receive MIDI sync.

I still had to synchronise the Metropolis, which is a modular sequencer and I did this by sending a clock output from the Beatstep Pro to Pamela's New Workout, which is a "programmable clocked modulation source." I set output #1 to produce the right number of triggers to run Metropolis.

When sending a clock to Pamela's New Workout it doesn't run until it receives that clock. So it was just a matter of ensuring that I reset Metropolis before hitting the play button (or pressing space bar) in REAPER and off we go...

I really was surprised at how well the Metropolis kept time with the MIDI sequences being played by my MIDI hardware synths.

(perhaps I should have pasted this in Hardware...)

cheers

andy

Comment

• Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
                              I got around to synchronising my MIDI stuff with my modular stuff yesterday.

I was expecting many problems and thought I'd have to spend time working out timing offsets and what have you. But it went quite smooth. Perhaps I should still be worried about that.

I decided to go down the route of setting my DAW, REAPER, as the master. That was a painless operation, once I googled it and found out how to do it. I kinda knew but something didn't sound right at first.

I had always thought that I could then use the Beatstep Pro for connecting to my modular system. And that's what I did... MIDI cable from my #1 OCTA-CAPTURE MIDI Out to the MIDI In of the Beatstep Pro, which I then set to receive MIDI sync.

I still had to synchronise the Metropolis, which is a modular sequencer and I did this by sending a clock output from the Beatstep Pro to Pamela's New Workout, which is a "programmable clocked modulation source." I set output #1 to produce the right number of triggers to run Metropolis.

When sending a clock to Pamela's New Workout it doesn't run until it receives that clock. So it was just a matter of ensuring that I reset Metropolis before hitting the play button (or pressing space bar) in REAPER and off we go...

I really was surprised at how well the Metropolis kept time with the MIDI sequences being played by my MIDI hardware synths.

(perhaps I should have pasted this in Hardware...)

cheers

andy
                              Once upon a time, I used Reaper in conjunction with a plug-in for live 'jamming', which I put in quotes, because you actually had to offset your input by a certain amount because of the physical impossibility of synchronizing a jam session perfectly due to the constraints of streaming latency. This was a pretty early iteration of the programming (it had only been out about a year). For some reason, I haven't used it since, possibly because I could never get it to behave the way I needed it to with vst plugins..
                              https://metapop.com/sonic-bodhi
                              https://www.youtube.com/user/SonicBodhi1
                              https://sonicbodhi.bandcamp.com/
                              https://hearthis.at/sonic-bodhi-iw/

Comment

• Right now, I am preparing to do a major clean-up and re-organization of my studio space- my work-station came in on Wednesday and I picked it up- the box was quite heavy and both my wife and myself had a difficult time even getting it up the steps and into the house. Here's the 'before' picture. I will come back and post the 'after' picture when I'm done.
                                https://metapop.com/sonic-bodhi
                                https://www.youtube.com/user/SonicBodhi1
                                https://sonicbodhi.bandcamp.com/
                                https://hearthis.at/sonic-bodhi-iw/

Comment

Working...
                                X