Thanks annode !!

Leave a comment:

• aoVI
    replied
    Thanks for those!

Leave a comment:

• annode
    replied
    aoVI Here's a link to dload the IR folder.
    Everyone is invited to get this. Get it before time runs out.

Leave a comment:

• annode
    replied
    Here you say no processing, but you remark below something else. Now you are talking about fish hitting water...I am trying to follow your coneheaded adventures, but it's not easy.
    There was no processing on the clip I posted, just anomalies from the cones, etc. I was surprised how much they did collect. Fish hitting the surface of the water sounded like I had the mics down on the dock rather than some 20 meters away.
    Definitely colors the sound, and a wide resonance is very apparent, but interesting just the same. Heavy use of noise reduction plugs and some severe eq is yielding interesting results.
    I'm prepared to send you one of the folders from the Spectral Relativity IR collection. The ones that deal with spectral filtering in order to create small resonances...like I was alluding to above. I was messing with them today. You might get some use from them.
    Last edited by annode; 03-11-2019, 02:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aoVI
    replied
    Originally posted by annode View Post
    Wow, that coyote recording is super spooky Bill. Do you hear this often where you live?
    Let me get this straight...you are hanging one or two SM58's in one or two cones, then the cones are left outside?
    Those mics aren't known for their sensitivity. You must have had to do some serious filtering for all the noise...like you said above I believe.
    Yes, the coyotes live in a large wooded area north of us. Our property borders a horse racing farm that is several miles square, much of it natural wooded and wetland.

And yes, 2 SM58s, dropped in the inside, so the cone is like a sound collector. There was no processing on the clip I posted, just anomalies from the cones, etc. I was surprised how much they did collect. Fish hitting the surface of the water sounded like I had the mics down on the dock rather than some 20 meters away. The processing makes the sounds even more spooky, like you could hear partial words forming out of the noise.

Not sure where I am going to go with all this, if anywhere. Always fun to noodle, even without instruments.

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Bodhi
    replied
    Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
    My new workstation arrived yesterday. As per usual, getting it to a point where everything I will be using is installed, licensed and tested is taking an absolute age...

I should have a numb bum but my cheepo office chair isn't that uncomfortable even for stints lasting many hours
    Ha ha! home-built pc here, I have been building and upgrading windows pcs since 1997- when I actually couldn't afford a whole system otherwise. I'm about due for a video card upgrade, I think- and another sound card. I usually stick with Creative products when it comes to sound.

But yes, my cheap office chair is about like yours!

Leave a comment:

• annode
    replied
    Wow, that coyote recording is super spooky Bill. Do you hear this often where you live?
    Let me get this straight...you are hanging one or two SM58's in one or two cones, then the cones are left outside?
    Those mics aren't known for their sensitivity. You must have had to do some serious filtering for all the noise...like you said above I believe.

Leave a comment:

• aoVI
    replied
    With great apologies for turning the general "you" in the title of the thread to me...

I mention IRs because what you are trying out with those cones is something custom IRs can also do along with other non-real spaces, tight rooms and odd shaped cavities. I wasn't referring to reverb IRs. Those IR sets I mentioned above were examples of custom for ambient like music styles, beyond real reverb spaces and the standard IR effects. ( I am lucky to have 'Spectral Relativity'.) Even 'spectral' VST effects can do similar things.
    Yes, loved to load all kinda things into the IR's, and understood why you brought them up. I experimented with it a while back and got some neat things, some some awful things, and some which I've used. I loved messing with IRs. I think I got some of the Spirit Canyon ones 8 years ago or so for TC Space. It'd be on my previous computer and a HD in the closet, but too lazy to check tonight. I will eventually though. I just haven't used them in a while.

I sort of feel the same way about spectral fx as I do about pitched (shimmer) reverb; it's neat, can be beautiful, but it's best used as little as possible due to it's unique sound.

Another reason to use cones is that guitars are the last physical thing I still use to create sound these days and sometimes it's fun to go back and get your hands dirty by dropping a transducer in, on, or over something and see what happens.

Did you happen to see/dload that free IR zip I posted? I haven't tried them out yet..maybe tomorrow I hope.
    What is S1 ?
    Why did you post that coyote clip?
    I wasn't clear about all that
    When I go grab the files off my old rig, I'll also hit that link you posted, so when I feel like making noise with IR's, I'll be ready, thanks!
    edit--just went and grabbed it

S1 is Studio One, lazy typing, sorry.

Coyotes clip is a few minutes of the cone recording that I thought was probably the best and most interesting raw result. Unprocessed, to show all the drawbacks of the set up I had mentioned in the first post about the cones. I probably should have separated that since it wasn't a reply directly to you, but appeared in a post that was.
    Last edited by aoVI; 03-04-2019, 07:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• annode
    replied
    I mention IRs because what you are trying out with those cones is something custom IRs can also do along with other non-real spaces, tight rooms and odd shaped cavities. I wasn't referring to reverb IRs. Those IR sets I mentioned above were examples of custom for ambient like music styles, beyond real reverb spaces and the standard IR effects. ( I am lucky to have 'Spectral Relativity'.) Even 'spectral' VST effects can do similar things.
    Did you happen to see/dload that free IR zip I posted? I haven't tried them out yet..maybe tomorrow I hope.
    What is S1 ?
    Why did you post that coyote clip?
    I wasn't clear about all that.
    Last edited by annode; 03-03-2019, 09:28 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aoVI
    replied
    I haven't used IR's in a few years. I have the old Avid TC Space, and there is also a native one in S1, but really haven't touched it much. I should return and re-investigate.

A million years ago I recorded our drummer playing beer bottles through a pair of traffic cones (long ones, approx. 36") and the effect was really neat.

This time it didn't turn out like I was hoping, but about like I was expecting. A few really neat passages, and with the noise reduction software, sometimes a bit strange and spooky sounding, as if there were words being whispered in an ancient language.

Here's an unprocessed section, warts and all, of a pack of coyotes greeting each other, and the area's dog responses:

Last edited by aoVI; 03-04-2019, 07:49 PM. Reason: format

Leave a comment:

• annode
    replied
    aoVI Maybe I was thinking of these IR sets all along;

- Spirit Canyon Audio - Kaleidoskopy
    - Spirit Canyon Audio - Sanitarium
    - Spirit Canyon Audio - Spectral Relativity
    Good luck finding those. haha

Here is a free 481MB package of impulse responses made by the same author.

Leave a comment:

• synkrotron
    replied
    Originally posted by aoVI View Post
    Recording through a pair of these
    I've always fancied sticking a microphone at the end great big long pipe but never got round to it, and since then I've never really encountered a suitable opportunity.

Leave a comment:

• annode
    replied
    Originally posted by aoVI View Post
    Recording through a pair of these:

Dropped a pair of SM58's inside, the connection end sticks out the hole at the top.

Definitely colors the sound, and a wide resonance is very apparent, but interesting just the same. Heavy use of noise reduction plugs and some severe eq is yielding interesting results.
    Out there in internet land somewhere there are impulse response sets dedicated to very odd resonant cavities. Back in the day I remember Darrell Burgen saying he was using them. I think it was from one of the preset bank designer companies back in the late 90's who made banks for Absynth. I'll have to give it some thought.
    EDIT - I think the company name was Metamorph or Metamorphosis. Don't bother searching, I tried...and nothing.
    EDIT 2 - Yeah I think it was a collaboration with Tim Conrardy.

Below is Spirit Canyon Audio. THAT had something to do with Darrell (Palancar)
    Last edited by annode; 03-02-2019, 06:10 PM.

Leave a comment:

• aoVI
    replied
    Recording through a pair of these:

Dropped a pair of SM58's inside, the connection end sticks out the hole at the top.

Last edited by aoVI; 03-02-2019, 02:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• synkrotron
    replied
    My new workstation arrived yesterday. As per usual, getting it to a point where everything I will be using is installed, licensed and tested is taking an absolute age...

I should have a numb bum but my cheepo office chair isn't that uncomfortable even for stints lasting many hours

Leave a comment:

Working...
X