Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brugd
    replied
    Eating vegan burgers and listening to the latest Jefre Cantu Ledesma album that I got home on vinyl this week.

Leave a comment:

• flexifun
    replied
    Originally posted by synkrotron View Post

You are thinking of freesound.org and, yes, you have to give credit. That site has its own community.

As far as I am aware archive.org is a storage facility for various kinds of media. You have to be very careful about how you use that stuff, even if it has CC license. Always check to make sure that you can use and adapt.
    Yes i agree.

Leave a comment:

• synkrotron
    replied
    Originally posted by flexifun View Post
    i think it's called freesound' where people are doing recordings and sharing
    You are thinking of freesound.org and, yes, you have to give credit. That site has its own community.

As far as I am aware archive.org is a storage facility for various kinds of media. You have to be very careful about how you use that stuff, even if it has CC license. Always check to make sure that you can use and adapt.

Leave a comment:

• flexifun
    replied
    Originally posted by GregH View Post
    house painting - sort of

And I had another abortive attempt at playing guitar again but with no pleasure in it at all
    Recently i had to paint four rooms, walls and ceilings; not being a pro it was a lot more graft than i anticipated. One room in particular i took some duff advice and used a grey paint for an extra undercoat - that took too much going over to get rid of the tint it put on the paint.

I have a bass guitar - a fretless - which is a beautiful instrument, but needs constant practice. I got a bit demotivated recently (a lot of other stuff going on that reduced my practice hours down to very little) and with the summer weather recently often the intonation would go out late at night with humidity (pressure?) changes right about the time i set up my gear to work on music. But the last two nights i've had great fun with the bass, working on a Bush of Ghosts type thing ; syncopating percussion, bass, a monophonic analogue synth that sounds like lead guitar, preacher/evangelist samples ( the guy 'speaking in tongues') - really just an exercise in manipulating voice samples. I have some good material recorded from these improvisations but i can't share as is, as the copyright on any of those voice recordings prevents it . Perhaps I could substitute those samples for some others (CC adaptable non-commercial)....

Various ISPs i have used in recent years all seem to block archive.orgi think maybe due to copyright issues, however just now i see i can access the site - perhaps there has been some changes, although the new interface i find challenging to use..i haven't been able to drill down efficiently like the older interface design to find - for example - audio files, field recording, archived language stuff - eg 'ethnic', anthropological recordings etc..i just get a lot of random results that aren't audio or Creative Commons etc

Anyone have any tips about using archive.org to find audio that could be utilised for sampling in music ? i mean speech, obscure folk instrument sounds, singin, chanting - perhaps quite old recordings ? There's a site - i think it's called freesound' where people are doing recordings and sharing, i'd like to try to build a networking relationship with some people like that, giving credit for their recording work.
    Last edited by flexifun; 08-09-2019, 03:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Maharg
    replied
    Right now? Browsing through the AO forum

Also right now I am working on something that may become an album, but I keep getting side tracked (no pun intended) and start working on something else. If I keep going I will end up with quite a bit of noise that will irritate a lot of people and so my work will be done!

Leave a comment:

• GregH
    replied
    house painting - sort of - we are getting a carport built and I am painting all the timber before it goes up. It's a 6mX6m tiled roof structure so there are a lot of roof trusses and beams, 2 coats, which takes a fair bit of time and way more paint than I expected. Doing fascia boards today

And I had another abortive attempt at playing guitar again but with no pleasure in it at all - time to sell those babies, I just do different stuff now and have for quite a long time
    Last edited by GregH; 08-08-2019, 11:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• seismic1
    replied
    Playing with the filters in Arturia's ModularV

Leave a comment:

• lynn9
    replied
    Originally posted by Realm View Post

Ouch! I used to drink a filter coffee regularly every morning Mon-Fri with work colleagues - it would be the only coffee I had all day (I would consume no coffee at the weekend due to the different routine). On Saturday afternoons I would routinely get a thumping headache/migraine. Naturally, it took a few months before I linked the two events but when I cut out the coffee in the week, the headaches stopped - it was like flicking a switch, it was that black and white.

I now drink green tea most of the time and look ten years younger!

I hope your migraines are only from caffeine-detox but may be worth consulting a doctor if they don't go away.
    Yeah, I went to a doctor, but we don't know exactly what's the trigger yet. From what I told him, he says it's most likely stress, but I need to go through a bunch of exams first... Which I postponed to later this year. Not because I wanna stay ill, but because a few days after that the migranes stopped again, and I plan on doing a general checkup anyway, so it's best to do everything at once, I guess.

For what it's worth, passion fruit juice helped when I was dealing with these - sometimes the pain would go away instantly. So yeah, probably just stress!

Leave a comment:

• Realm
    replied
    Originally posted by lynn9 View Post
    Been dealing with headaches (maybe migraines, not sure) since Monday. Almost like clockwork: between 8 and 9 AM, a sharp pain appears behind my right eye and I'm rendered totally unable to do anything other than lay down and pray for it to go away. First of these episodes was way back in 2017 and I don't remember what triggered it (it went away with painkillers, though), but I'm almost sure this current one is because of my brilliant idea to stop drinking coffee all at once.
    Ouch! I used to drink a filter coffee regularly every morning Mon-Fri with work colleagues - it would be the only coffee I had all day (I would consume no coffee at the weekend due to the different routine). On Saturday afternoons I would routinely get a thumping headache/migraine. Naturally, it took a few months before I linked the two events but when I cut out the coffee in the week, the headaches stopped - it was like flicking a switch, it was that black and white.

I now drink green tea most of the time and look ten years younger!

I hope your migraines are only from caffeine-detox but may be worth consulting a doctor if they don't go away.

Leave a comment:

• flexifun
    replied
    Hello AO !

..listening to random remnants of multitrack audio on headphones, blending with the sound of the dawn chorus outside my window...04:24

Leave a comment:

• seismic1
    replied
    I just got back from a week's holiday on a boat (aquatic pub crawl). I may put some pictures up in a few days if I can find them

Leave a comment:

• synkrotron
    replied
    Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
    My database migration project had become bogged down in red tape, by becoming too reliant on the opinions of other people, not all of whom appeared to understand many of the central issues involved. 5 days without any progress was 5 days I couldn't afford to waste. Too many cooks etc. Last night I decided to press some buttons and force the issue.

Things are moving forward again.
    Most frustrating...

Pressing that (launch) button, though... I can see that image now...

Leave a comment:

• seismic1
    replied
    My database migration project had become bogged down in red tape, by becoming too reliant on the opinions of other people, not all of whom appeared to understand many of the central issues involved. 5 days without any progress was 5 days I couldn't afford to waste. Too many cooks etc. Last night I decided to press some buttons and force the issue.

Things are moving forward again.

Leave a comment:

• Sonic Bodhi
    replied
    Sitting here relaxing after the end of another short power outage (this time lasting about two hours).. no weather event to blame it on this time, so I must assume it was a transformer that blew. Oddly, the power did not go out immediately, it just sort of faded out in stages until one outlet in the kitchen was left with power for about a half hour. I plugged an LED lamp into that outlet and it lit up the kitchen for about 15 minutes, before all the power finally drained out of the lines.

They had it fixed by 1 a.m., so here I am, playing around on the internet on another late Saturday night..

Leave a comment:

• seismic1
    replied
    Originally posted by synkrotron View Post

I bet that's going to be great. I wonder what they will play...

I only really know two of their albums. In the Court of the Crimson King and Larks' Tongues in Aspic. Can't remember the last time I listened to them, though, to be honest. ITCOTCK is one of those albums that demands that you play it the whole way through, with no interruptions or distractions... No doing chores at the same time, that sort of thing.
    These days they tend to play stuff from most of their albums, so the show is bound to include tracks from those. A KC show is usually 2-2.5 hours. Lots of tunes.

The trick to avoiding distractions is to turn the volume up. The Bieber/Grande (and probably even The Spice Girls) afficionados would certainly think twice about entering my lounge with side 2 of "Starless and Bible Black" exciting air molecules in a vigourous manner

My son will be attending the concert with me. He came to the last one and is going back for more, so there is hope for the next generation.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X