Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw a similar post on KVR and I thought it would be good to start something like that here. Since the New Year is right around the corner I thought I would make a post of my New Year's Resolution. Maybe we can periodically revisit this thread to check on our progress and keep each other accountable or something! Or not...

Anyway...

My overall goal in 2013 is to be more consistent in how I spend my music time so that I can be more productive and have something to show for it when the year is up, and not just scattered odds and ends. The latter part of 2012 was kind of an experimental time for me in terms of figuring out new ways of recording and producing. I want 2013 to be about putting those skills to use. Also putting to work some of these cool new toys that I've acquired over time.

Another thing I would like to get back into is playing out live again. It's been quite a while since I've done that and it was always a real hassle, but now I think I have the tools and the knowledge to do it right... or at least to give it another try.

I guess another thing I really need to get my act together on is the whole social media/web thing. I was always too busy just making music to be bothered with the "promotion" side of it (or whatever you want to call it). But if making music is also about communication, then it isn't going to do me any good if nobody even knows or cares that I'm out here!

So, those are going to be my musical goals for 2013!

Oh... and one more... not to spend so much time online. Although this forum is going to be a problem as far as that one goes!
    My Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sequent7

I try to avoid resolutions for new years, after all the transition from one year to another is just an artificial borderline created by humans trying to capture this thing called time, which is totally relative as we know. BUT of course I'm reflecting on how the past year has been and what I would like to change or achieve in the next year to come. One thing I definitely want to change is to reduce the stress symptoms caused by excessive studio work, upcoming deadlines and pressure caused by commissions when composing for the various genres I work in. 2012 was really heavy in this respect and for the first time in my life my body is signalising: Stop - Take it easy - take a break. Sometimes I listen, often I don't so this is what I want to change in 2013 for sure. Either reduce the workload (which is hard as I make all my living on music and sounddesign) or find a different way of handling the load.

Homepage

Comment

This is such a good topic!!! Musically speaking of course... :D

2013. Just saying the year itself is amazing. What we made it past 2012? Unbelievable!!! The future is open to us and it's ours to shape it and make it what we want it to be. 2012 was a great year for me...a year of setting goals and achieving them. I feel I'm now on the cusp of something much greater and that is extremely exciting. If I continue the momentum that I've gained this year...I'm sure that 2013 will be filled with new opportunities and immense progress.

First of all, I'd really like to stay prolific and keep putting out new material. The harder I work both in the studio and work, the greater the satisfaction from my efforts will be. In the past I've had issues starting tracks and not taking them "all the way" to a finished piece. I've echoed these sentiments on the forum before. Staying focused on the goal and determined to see tracks through (even if it means abandoning them completely and starting over!) is crucial for me to keep putting out new material. Here's to more good tracks in 2013!!!

In the immediate, I'm really determined to put out this new album and possibly another in the same year. Also, like Nemo said, I'd like to try and play live this year. I don't quite have all the necessary hardware to put on a show (unless they let 27" iMacs in the door...I really need a good laptop) but the idea is really intriguing to perform ambient LIVE.

I do spend alot of time online...but with the rise of ambient online and what feels like the convergence of ambient artists all around the globe, it's all part of it for me. I am more motivated than ever to bring new artists together and see this community thrive and continue to grow.

Cheers to all of you in 2013!!!

-S1gns
      Synphaera Records
      Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
        ...but the idea is really intriguing to perform ambient LIVE. -S1gns
        S1gns - Check out this source for LIVE ambient recordings:

http://archive.org/details/ethereal-live

Comment

Originally posted by ho66it View Post
          S1gns - Check out this source for LIVE ambient recordings:

http://archive.org/details/ethereal-live
          Thank you Bruce!!! I'm definitely going to go check that out. Such an exciting prospect for me...this is definitely a step in the right direction.

Hope you're having a good one!!!

Cheers!
          Synphaera Records
          Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
            Thank you Bruce!!! I'm definitely going to go check that out. Such an exciting prospect for me...this is definitely a step in the right direction.

Hope you're having a good one!!!

Cheers!
            Chris, I hope you find inspiration there. I've listened to several of the offerings there and I get stoked about how fun it would be to do a live ambient performance about every time I listen. (Fun if you were well prepared, that is...)
            Anyway, Have a great New Year's Eve!
            Cheers backatcha!

Comment

The only goals I'm setting myself this year are to spend more time composing and finishing tracks. I wanted to put out a CD, but that might be hard to get passed Mark. :blush:

Comment

Working...
              X