X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GaryG
    replied
    Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
    Excession was weird for me. My son read it and got it straight away, but I'm still scratching my head after three reads...
    I'm terrible with books, get distracted or bored and try another book, totally forgetting the one I've just started... And so it is with Excession! I'll get back to it one day, just another seven hundred pages of 'Perdido Street Station' to plough through............

Leave a comment:

• synkrotron
    replied
    [QUOTE=GaryG;27615]
    only started Excession a few nights back (so I guess the Minds dominate this book? yeah?)
    Excession was weird for me. My son read it and got it straight away, but I'm still scratching my head after three reads...

Leave a comment:

• GaryG
    replied
    Big fan of Iain M. Banks by the way. His Culture series is the mutt's nuts.

I've only read one book by Iain Banks though, which is the name he uses for his non-sci-fi work.
    I came from the opposite direction, read loads of his non-scifi stuff over the years (pretentious so and so with my copy of 'The Wasp Factory' hanging out my pocket... ;)) and only started reading his 'M' stuff a few years back. Funnily enough, only started Excession a few nights back (so I guess the Minds dominate this book? yeah?)

Leave a comment:

• synkrotron
    replied
    I'm confused LOL!

I pop into a topic about boring books and peeps are talking about stuff they like

As for boring books... I have a love hate relationship with The Wheel Of Time series by Robert Jordan.

It's a long series, and I do enjoy it, but there are times when I just can't be bothered with it and it takes a couple of sessions just to get through a chapter.

Big fan of Iain M. Banks by the way. His Culture series is the mutt's nuts.

I've only read one book by Iain Banks though, which is the name he uses for his non-sci-fi work.

Leave a comment:

• seismic1
    replied
    I love fixed-width fonts. Adobe Courier ftw. Maybe related to VDU-dependency in the '80s

Leave a comment:

• iainx
    replied
    One of the few books I've given up halfway through due to it being so bad (as opposed to just not finding time to finish it) was Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson. It was just so dull and badly written, all the action sequences relayed in emails from the person involved so you knew that everything worked out ok for them. Gah, it was so cackhanded. I think I gave up about page 600 when the fixed width font they were using started making my eyes sore.

Leave a comment:

• meta4
    replied
    Windspace

I agree about Iain Banks' books…I find that as I near the end of one, I'm wishing it was not coming so soon

Maybe the hardest scifi book I ever managed to slog through was Last And First Men by Olaf Stapledon.

I do like Dune though…I've probably read it at least four times! But, it's not for everyone, especially the dialog parts…and Lady Jessica was not my favorite character anyway!

Richy - put out it down! And pick up a book you like…and get lost in it. That's the wonder of books isn't it? At least for me...

Yes. I couldn't put it better myself m8. Nicely said. And again yes getting lost in a good book is definitely what its about. Thats the enjoyment. My books are mainly based around art and poetry. I have always reached for my art books when I fall into that dreaded painters block trap. Its my art therapy and works everytime. But yeh you are very right my good friend. Put it down and get lost in a book I mostly like to read
    Last edited by meta4; 04-09-2015, 11:07 AM.

Leave a comment:

• meta4
    replied
    Originally posted by GaryG View Post
    Originally posted by richy tronik View Post

Yeh I have that book DUNE. I have had it for around 15 years now. I know that for certain as I remember a friend passed it to me back in the mid 90s. Oddly enough though I have NEVER got into it. I have tried reading it over the years. But I always put it back with the other books. Its a big book to. But OMFG its boring. Not the kind of book I would read whilst having a good one sitting on the bog :uhuh:
    Herbert would be proud.

I do like Dune though, the breadth of it is pretty mindblowing. Have to agree it does drag in places, whole chapters it seems of endless dialogue (normally involving lady Jessica for some reason...)

Have you read any of Iain m banks scifi? That's the opposite, big thick books that just seem to fly by.
    Not that I recall. But thanks for the tip. I love sci-fi stuff me :tu:

I have read the autobiography of Langson Hughes-The Big Sea and that was one hell of a read I know that much. I have also read The Honour and the Shame by John Keneally VC. The Celestine Prophecy by James Redfield is another corker to read. That book really did a trick on me.

Ok The books I mentioned up there I know don't exactly fall into the Dunes circle haha. But no I have never really managed to get into Dune as it has always just existed gathering dust in my collection of books I have built over the years. But I will always keep it.

Years ago a neighbor living next door to me was moving out and he put all his books on the floor in the communual staircase for the other neighbors to have. They were all lined up all the way down the stairs. There was loads of them. All these books. Out of the books I plucked one called Who Am I-The Sacred Quest by Jean Klein http://www.amazon.com/Who-Am-The-Sac.../dp/1852300299 Now that book really took me by surprise. Especially the conversations on Art. Another book I own is Modern Art by Trewin Copplestone that I picked up for £1 at a charity shop. A great big book crammed full of modern art stuff. Best book I ever bought

Good thread btw. Its making me go through all my books now
    Last edited by meta4; 04-09-2015, 11:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• GaryG
    replied
    Originally posted by Zach Zinn View Post
    I tried to read Atonement by Ian McEwan on someone's recommendation, I thought it was really boring, as well as maybe a little trite. Some people thought it was amazing, *shrug*.
    I never got into it either, still around somewhere on a pile of books to read 'someday'... Shame as I've enjoyed a few of his other books, Saturday, Solar etc.

I can read any Scifi or fantasy and be marginally entertained, but I also think most of it isn't that great, TBH..I read it in the same i'd watch schlocky TV.
    I know where you're coming from with that... I used to read nothing but scifi as a teenager but got totally bored with it (I blame the Foundation trilogy ;)), probably about the same time I got bored with prog rock... Started listening to noisy underground bands and reading all the usual suspects (Burroughs, Heller, Vonnegut, Pychon...) Nowadays I guess I still enjoy scifi in the same way I still dig out a Rush album occasionally, more for enjoyment than for deep, profound insights. Though now realise plenty of scifi can offer that too (PKD etc). Not sure if I've xplained that well or just alienated half the AO readership but so it goes...

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
    I read the first three Dune books when I was 18 or 19. I tried to read them again 10 years later after the publication of the last three in the series, but I didn't find it as rewarding the second time around and gave up during the fifth (Heretics of Dune). I think Dune (the original Novel) was the best in the series. I quite enjoyed the movie too.
    I think the first is by far the best; actually reread it last year and watched the movie too (read a few chapters, watched a few more scenes of the film etc). Didn't realise what a hatchet job the movie really was; 'very important' chapters summarised to a couple of lines, whole subtexts glossed over even with all the 'thoughts' being expressed and a total change to the meaning of the ending. Still a guilty pleasure I guess.

Leave a comment:

• aoVI
    replied
    Dune series was one of my most favorite. I am putting you all on my List.

Leave a comment:

• Ahornberg
    replied
    I gave up after one and a half Dune books.

Leave a comment:

• seismic1
    replied
    I read the first three Dune books when I was 18 or 19. I tried to read them again 10 years later after the publication of the last three in the series, but I didn't find it as rewarding the second time around and gave up during the fifth (Heretics of Dune). I think Dune (the original Novel) was the best in the series. I quite enjoyed the movie too.

Leave a comment:

• Zach Zinn
    replied
    I tried to read Atonement by Ian McEwan on someone's recommendation, I thought it was really boring, as well as maybe a little trite. Some people thought it was amazing, *shrug*.

I can read any Scifi or fantasy and be marginally entertained, but I also think most of it isn't that great, TBH..I read it in the same i'd watch schlocky TV.

My favorite Scifi series is The Book of The New Sun, which is basically four book,s by Gene Wolfe. Funnily enough, a lot of people find it boring, I think it's the best Scifi/Fantasy serious pretty much ever...ah, taste!
    Last edited by Zach Zinn; 04-04-2015, 09:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• windspace
    replied
    My real nominee for the most boring book I've read - The National Electrical Code. I had to suffer with this for over 35 years. And they change it every three years, requiring a person to reacquaint themselves with it. Ugh…don't miss it!

Leave a comment:

• windspace
    replied
    Originally posted by Synthetic Aurality View Post
    I tried tackling the whole Dune series again.. 3 books in.. fell over, gave up. Wheel of Time, attempt #2.. five books in I wished everyone were dead, gave up.

At least I got a lot of sleep, bored unconscious! :eek:
    Dune series starts off with a bang in Dune…but fizzles quickly in the sequels. I was sorely disappointed with them.

Wheel of Time…who has time for this? I got through I think the first two and completely lost interest. These long series' seem to just be a way to sell more titles these days (maybe they always were…) but the old masters and some new ones could actually keep my interest. Some of the series that I have liked and completed:

• Foundation series by Asimov (but not the later day additions, just the original three titles.)
    • I liked most most of the future history by Heinlein that started with Stranger In A Strange Land but the last one, whose title I don't even remember now, left me pretty cold.
    • Red Mars, Blue Mars, Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson
    • The Chanur novels by C.J. Cherryh
    • The Heechee Saga by Frederik Pohl

This post is way off topic as I didn't find these books boring at all!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X