The joys of not being listened to :)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The joys of not being listened to :)

strive as we all may, sometimes it's easy to feel lost in the internet ocean of too much content. here is a short bbc article listing the power and pleasure of being unnoticed

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/arti...oing-unnoticed

there is a radio programme to accompany the article, probably only available in the UK.

on a slightly related note - does AO have a soundcloud page? would this be something we (I?) could set up and use as a platform to showcase active members here? perhaps we could have a rolling playlist creator/curator-ship thing going? i know many of us have our own pages so if we all linked to it in the sidebar we could increase footfall for our tracks and this place

Agree totally with this article. I make music for me and no one else. I put it up on the net and share it as part of the whole process. If no one watches it that's not really a problem. If no one comments on it even less so. The fact that some people do like my music and take the time to subscribe and comment is only a bonus. Somehow I am putting some joy into a few people's lives and that's great. I had one video a couple of years ago that had 1000 views in the first two days after posting. I really felt quite uncomfortable with that. Fortunately that has not continued and videos toddle along with a handful of views in a week.

The process starts with composing or improvising and finishes with posting. Whatever happens after that is in the hands of whoever. One of my retirement ambitions is to produce a whole album and release it through Bandcamp. Once that's done I don't care what happens to it. It's the punk ethos. John Peel once related a similar story about a band that worked to the point of recording and releasing a single. Then they broke up as they had achieved that goal.
    Graham
    https://www.youtube.com/c/THEBassBus
    https://soundcloud.com/bassbus https://hearthis.at/graham-blanche-ov/

Comment

I also agree with that article. For me, making music is a hobby which helps me exercise my creative problem-solving skills while making the kinds of sounds I want to listen to. So it's a pleasant surprise if/when anyone else likes it. And, honestly, I'm a shy introvert who doesn't really want the kind of attention attached to going viral. I'm happy to let those who make music as their profession take the spotlight.

Originally posted by The Quietist View Post
      on a slightly related note - does AO have a soundcloud page? would this be something we (I?) could set up and use as a platform to showcase active members here? perhaps we could have a rolling playlist creator/curator-ship thing going? i know many of us have our own pages so if we all linked to it in the sidebar we could increase footfall for our tracks and this place
      I think there used to be a AO group on Soundcloud--until that feature was removed. There was also a periodic podcast (which is how I found the forum), hosted by S1gnsOfL1fe. I imagine family life is keeping him too busy to resume the podcast anytime soon, which is why it's great that he keeps the compilations going. Considering how huge the comps have become, I suspect we have enough artists generating enough music to make a regular podcast viable (if we can find someone able to collate the tracks submitted and put it all together).
      remst8 - remst8.com

Comment

I like the imaginary audience. They are my biggest fans.

I love to see downloads happening, and it's a great honor if someone throws a couple of bucks into the bandcamp 'pay what you like' hat.

However, once I've posted about a release, I feel really self-conscious and exposed; and like annode said in another thread, I am just waiting for my post to drop off the page.

I've often joked that I will be a famous composer 300 years after my death, when after a huge collapse of society a bandcamp server is found in the rubble and me and 3 others end up being the only examples of turn-of -the-21st-century composers. It's probably rooted in the fact that I get uncomfortable sometimes calling attention to my work, but could accept it if I wasn't around to have to experience it. Impostor Syndrome, anyone?

Comment

Interesting read. I think it can be liberating being able to set your own goals and schedules without external pressure, as long as you're good at self-motivation. The down side is the lack of constructive feedback which I find helpful.

Comment

Ideally I think releasing a creative work should be a release, like seeds they can be picked up/blown around and carried and take on lives of their own a bit organically, noticed or not. In a world where success is defined by breaking through concrete, no matter how full of life the dirt is in the middle of nowhere
            | Ambire Seiche - @ Tumblr | @ heart this | @ Sonic Squirrel |
            | Steeping Mary Net Label

Comment

i get what you;re saying aoVI i always feel reluctant to tell people about my music when they ask me what i do because i feel vulnerable and a little bit silly but people tend to be interested (and dare i say it, impressed). i'm starting to have a bit more confidence to say i "i write music"

i think prefer to be listened to than not and also feel very pleased when someone downloads a track. one of my favourite things about S/C is seeing where my music is being listened to (mostly Russia atm)

i write music for myself. before mass media that's what people did - picked up instruments and played for themselves and others around them so we're part of the old tradition here if i couldn't put it out there i would still write it because it's a great pleasure - i love the buzz of getting a groove or listening back to a track and being surprised that i wrote it

Comment

Originally posted by aoVI View Post
                I like the imaginary audience. They are my biggest fans.

I love to see downloads happening, and it's a great honor if someone throws a couple of bucks into the bandcamp 'pay what you like' hat.

However, once I've posted about a release, I feel really self-conscious and exposed; and like annode said in another thread, I am just waiting for my post to drop off the page.

I've often joked that I will be a famous composer 300 years after my death, when after a huge collapse of society a bandcamp server is found in the rubble and me and 3 others end up being the only examples of turn-of -the-21st-century composers. It's probably rooted in the fact that I get uncomfortable sometimes calling attention to my work, but could accept it if I wasn't around to have to experience it. Impostor Syndrome, anyone?
                Not a big deal, but just wanted to clarify this;
                When I post a track I'm thrilled to get responses over a few days, but then I guess I get sick of it and want it to disappear(drop off the page finally). Maybe because I know the quality of music falls far short of my own (un-realized) expectations...whatever it is, I feel the track now doesn't deserve anymore attention and I want it deleted. Maybe it's just a healthy modesty.
                EDIT - just came to me...another thing that plagues the music producer is the feeling of being found out, faking it. (Simon and Garfunkel - "Faking It")
                The mysterious relationship one has with his Muse and the feeling you aren't really responsible for what you've made.( WOW, I just read the Wiki on that song. What a load of crap. Where did they get that from? I heard Simon specifically explain the lyrics being about the Muse and the lyrics reflect that.)
                EDIT2 - just now hit me. aoVI mentions Impostor Syndrome just above. First time I've heard that designation. Reading the Wiki now. (I do not have any of these troubles.)
                Sorry, back to topic.
                Last edited by annode; 08-07-2018, 12:01 PM.
                "The dumbest of people are the first to tell you."annode
                My Music

Comment

Interesting
                  Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

The Quietist While I understand your point of view, I came from a background where I was pretty much made to feel invisible every day of my life by an uncaring and authoritarian father- suffice it to say my childhood was not a great one. I am not using this as an excuse for my behavior as an adult who should know better, but sometimes doesn't act better, but in an effort to create understanding between people, there needs to be real communication. Sometimes there is a connection, and sometimes there is not. For me, my music is one of the few outlets I have where I can 'get out of myself', if that makes any sense. I don't have to think about anything, just feel and explore musically. Some days it works better than others. I do have some stage experience from being in a cover band back in the day, so whatever self-consciousness I may have had in the past I've had time to work through. I just pretend that I'm playing for a couple of close friends rather than being in front of an audience. That will mean something to some of you who've had stage and live experience. These days I prefer to just compose pieces in my studio for many of the same reasons the rest of you have mentioned. The music is first and foremost- it's something that I share quite freely, as many of you may note that I do mostly free downloads on bandcamp and hearthis.at. Feedback is important to me, because it lets me know that people are listening. I won't pretend that it doesn't bother me when I don't get any feedback from people, and in my view, I'd rather get negative feedback than none at all. When someone ignores leaving feedback on something they don't like, that's not being nice, it's just avoiding a scenario in which there might be some unpleasant drama if they actually say what they really feel about a piece. This is why I appreciate feedback from people like Annode. I might not like what he has to say, but at least I know he's being honest.

I have learned some valuable lessons, though, in my time away- that it is not worth it to argue with people or create drama over something which I essentially have no control over, so I can safely say this will never be an issue again for me. I would, in the end, rather be happy than to be right- if that makes any sense. Everyone is entitled their own views and their opinions, as long as we don't try to force them on others. If we all did and said the same things, and all had the same opinions, what a boring world this would be. If you read all the way through this, thank you for your patience, and may everyone have a great time here at AO. This is a good place to be.
                    "I would rather be happy than to always be 'right'."

Comment

I guess I echo the sentiment of most here.

Music for me is a hobby at the moment although I would like to take it further if the opportunity arose ... although I'm realistic enough to know that is unlikely presently.

Soundcloud is great because it enables me to reach audiences I would never be able to otherwise and when I get a comment, like or new follower it does feel nice that my art has touched somebody somewhere else in the world.

But ultimately, my music is written for the pleasure and sense of satisfaction I get, particularly when I feel I have improved my craft somewhere along the way.
                      .oO REALM Oo.
                      Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ukrealm
                      Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/realmuk
                      Bandcamp: https://realm-music.bandcamp.com/releases

Comment

Working...
                      X