Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New hope for TRD

Treatment Resistant Depression

Depression I expect, is not rare among musicians. Ambient music seems a comfortable place to hang it's hat.
    I have been a sufferer for 35 yrs. As some of you may know, the FDA just approved a new drug to treat TRD and another one is on it's way to approval.
    The drug generic names are esketamine (Spravato) and soon, rapastinel (Allergan). For those unaware, these drugs alleviate depression as soon as 4 hrs after treatment.
    In the US there have been clinics dispensing generic ketamine intravenously for yrs, for a high price. Now with esketamine, your med. insurance will pick up the cost.
    So far I don't have a clue where to go for this esketamine treatment. I could really use it now.
    I have only responded to one antidepressant (MAOI phenelzine) although I have tried many. I managed to stretch the phenelzine responsiveness out over about 16 yrs. But that ended about 10 yrs ago.

Has anyone had any antidepressant experience with ketamine? or know anything concerning where to go for esketamine treatment?
    How bout you in the UK?
    Last edited by annode; 03-12-2019, 03:39 PM.
    "The dumbest of people are the first to tell you."annode My Music
    Check out my ambient radio show list @ recommended listening

Hi Barry,

I am fortunate not to have felt the need to visit the docs over the years about my bouts of depression so I cannot really help much with your question I'm afraid.

Anyway, I did a search for "esketamine NHS" and it pulled up a few articles.

Sounds like good stuff, but does have its drawbacks, much the same as many medications...Nothing is ever perfect.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/100091/ket...-by-us-doctors

I sounds like it is expensive, too, so, in the US I suppose it would depend on your insurance policy, although I am only guessing about that.

cheers

andy
    I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Have you tried to find some more natural way of curing depression and what do you think about that? I had some, I could say, depression/anxiety related problems in the past, mood changing problems etc. and since I start practicing Tai Chi I had some very impressive experiences. I had been smoker for 10 years, had been drinking almost regularly and about 1 year after I started practicing Tai Chi all of that has changed. I don't smoke anymore, can't even think about drinking and I feel happy and fulfilled like never before. I know it may sound like some commercial but my experience is really that good. I practicing Tai Chi for two and a half years now. Key thing is to find a good teacher, since Tai Chi is internal martial art with purpose to develop inner energy and heal and harmonize mind and body through movement and breathing techniques. Problem is that most people who say they can teach Tai Chi practice it on a physical level and that way Tai Chi can't provide you all it can if you practice it correctly.

Hope this helps
      Vladimir

Comment

If anyone has knowledge / experience / acquisition logistics with ketamine / esketamine reply in this thread.
        If not, no need to write anything.
        Not to be mean, but this can get out of hand quickly, and I want to stay on topic.

Thanks.

synkrotron Going by that article it appears the NHS doesn't have esketamine on a fast track approval in the near horizon.
        I would have thought the US would be behind on that drug.
        (The European Medicines Agency is also considering a licence application that, if approved, would pave the way for the medication to be offered on the NHS.)
        Last edited by annode; 03-13-2019, 07:57 AM.
        "The dumbest of people are the first to tell you."annode My Music
        Check out my ambient radio show list @ recommended listening

Comment

I get the impression that the US is some way ahead with licensing esketamine, in the form of a nasal spray by Spravato and that some US doctors have been administered without FDA approval, which surprised me.

Over here we are at the mercy of NICE. If they decide that something is too expensive then the only way after getting it is by going private.

It will probably only be a matter of time that it will become available. Soon, in fact.

Here is another article, only a day old:-

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture...proved-806363/
          I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

Working...
          X