Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Syntech E520 Hyperion Stereo Effects Processor - The instant Ambient Machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syntech E520 Hyperion Stereo Effects Processor - The instant Ambient Machine?

Some might have discovered it already, especially the modular aficionados.
    For the others: yes, it´s a eurorack module, but in a small inclosure it will be a stand-alone full stereo FX-processor with a huge potential for making ambient music.

Def. worth checking it out:

-> Syntech E520 Hyperion - the official manufacturers website
    -> E520 Dronemaker Feature by Robert Rich on Souncloud (here are loads more!)
    -> Video demos from Syntech

syntech_e520_2.PNG

syntech_e520.PNG
    „Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes.“ – William Gibson

--- Music & visuals @ diffusSCHALL - Bandcamp - Soundcloud ---

$630 is a lot to spend on a eurorack module and not utilize CV to modulate anything, imo, as in using this thing in a 48hp enclosure all by itself. If I was going to do that, I'd do the 64hp one and add something like a Bastl CV Trinity for the remaining 14hp, or maybe a PNW and something else. Some kind of MIDI to CV converter might come in handy for others :thinking:
    Last edited by Koldunya; 01-11-2020, 05:14 AM. Reason: apparently emoji don't work here, even "web" ones...

Comment

Let the Eurorack aside, so it is not necessary to run the modul in a modular setup. That would just be the cherry on the cake, it can stand for its own.
      Counting in an inclosure you´re still at less than 700 bucks. This is pricey but totally worth a studio quality FX unit IMHO. The combination of effect algos is unique and Paul Schreiber knows what he does, Syntech stuff is well thought and top quality built.
      Keep in mind that you get a top notch stereo FX-processor with realtime control, onboard LFOs for animation and unusual algorithms that make it a swiss army knife for ambient music in my eyes.
      „Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, simply surrounded by assholes.“ – William Gibson

Comment

I'm not saying this can't be used by itself or that it shouldn't. I said how I, personally, would use it because it is a Eurorack module, and I would want to utilize it to its fullest

There is little way you're getting into one of these with a case for under $700 until they hit the used market; you'd be hard-pressed to DIY a case for $70 (current preorder is $630 to US customers, $660 to outside), the Kickstarter with a 4ms Pod48X case was $735 itself, and that case alone is $155 new if you missed the end of the Kickstarter. But if you know of any ways to get into a small powered case for super cheap, feel free to share :D Many existing small cases simply aren't deep enough for this module :(

Now if by "under 700 bucks" you meant under 700 EUR, then yeah, for sure can be done

I do like the inclusion of Mike Norris spectral/FFT algorithms. Those are (were? it's been a while, I think they might be 32-bit on the AU plugins) really nice and fun to work with from what I remember.
        Last edited by Koldunya; 01-11-2020, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Koldunya View Post
          ... I would want to utilize it to its fullest
          That makes absolute sense.
          I know that many people wouldn't give the Hyperion a second view BECAUSE it is a module. But it is developed with stand alone usage in mind. That's why I'm pointing it out.
          It has it's pice tag, no doubt.

The 4ms skiff is nice but overprized IMHO.
          My first modular set up was a Doepfer Mini-NT/Bus and a second hand 3HU frame as used in the telecom domain. Paid less than 10 € for the frame. I wouldn't call that DIY, so that's far from rocket science.

Comment

SynthTech does excellent work. I was a beta tester for the E352 and E370 wavetable modules; I'm not in the testing program for the E520 (yet... ) but I did order one in the pre-Kickstarter phase, and I'm pretty excited about this module.

Even just the time domain stuff on this module sounds excellent. I really look forward to the looper, with its tape-like degradation, as well as several of the delay modes. The frequency domain effects are unique in Eurorack (and hardware in general, and in some cases, I think completely unique in their approach).

My plans for hardware in 2020 all pretty much revolve around this module -- there are a few FX I'd like but keep telling myself the E520 can do them. I'm curious to see how much of my other gear will feel redundant or inferior once this beast shows up.

Comment

Paul got me the moment I started reading about the Hyperion. I´ve instantly hit the support button on Kickstarter and checked the finances afterwards. But it will work, so my Deflector Shield will be obsolete with the Hyperion. Selling two E340 Cloud Generators helped against the cash bleed when I purchased my E570. Best thing I ever did in modular. The Hyperion will be in the same class for sure.

Comment

Oh, and there's some built-in modulation in the E520 -- some of the algorithms have a modulator inherent in them, plus there are 4 internal LFOs that can be assigned to parameters. So it's not like it will be too hampered by being in a standalone case without other modular gear.

Still, I look forward to doing some envelope follower patches with it, especially in some of the spectral modes -- and to using it in feedback loops with other modules

Comment

Working...
                X