Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody interested in Modular synthesis?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody interested in Modular synthesis?

I have been seriously meaning to save up for a eurorack now, but i had to use my funds for that to pay a few bills. Anyways I will getting back into this now and I am aiming to make a crazy Drone/waveshaping/delay madness machine!

I have pretty much started reading up about Modular synthesis but so far it looks incredibly powerful for anyone who is making ambient music.

Anybody else interested in it?
    -=| (Youtube)|(Bandcamp)|(Ambient Online Forums)|=-

I've thought about it, but really don't think I'd invest in hardware, both from the perspective of cost and the real estate it would take up.

However, one thing I have thought of is getting a controller with lots of knobs that I can assign to software modular. Maybe one of these days I'll invest in Vaz Modular, but I also have Reason which is somewhat modular, or at least I can patch a ton of stuff on the back panel and get some interesting sounds out of it.

Comment

Does having Reaktor count? :giggle:

I have no idea where to even begin with modular. :blush:

Comment

Yep, Reaktor too.

Comment

Originally posted by robojam View Post
          I've thought about it, but really don't think I'd invest in hardware, both from the perspective of cost and the real estate it would take up.

However, one thing I have thought of is getting a controller with lots of knobs that I can assign to software modular. Maybe one of these days I'll invest in Vaz Modular, but I also have Reason which is somewhat modular, or at least I can patch a ton of stuff on the back panel and get some interesting sounds out of it.
          I used to love reason for wiring up insane patches! It is amazing what you can do with reason if you put your mind to it! I have made many wild evolving drones just using Reason alone.

Still as much as we are covered for virtual modulars, I really like the idea of working with real electricity. I am still learning quite a bit about it, but I do really love the idea behind modular synthesis.

For software I have Reaktor & Ace which are pretty much the only two modular style synthesizer programs I have. I still need to pick up Bazille and work with that!

Comment

Originally posted by Dax IX View Post
            Does having Reaktor count? :giggle:

I have no idea where to even begin with modular. :blush:
            Modular synthesizers are like lego synths haha because you can put in your own oscillators.. filters whatever you want and then wire it all together in whatever signal flow you wish

Its so wild what you can do with modular synthesizers once you learn the ropes.

Comment

i went frac, space saving reasons as well as the fact that mine is bugbrand which is cool boutique modules
              only 2 racks at the mo, but hoping that maybe next year i might be able to expand...

Comment

As much as I drool over the idea of owning some ginormous modern equivalent of TONTO, the kind of money involved in pursuing that particular hardware dream keeps it well within the realm of fantasyland for me..
                But yes, Buchlas and Doepfers and PAiAs, oh my :daydream:

*edit: for Windows users on a budget seeking to explore the virtual modular world, there is both Chris Jones' Sonigen, and the 3rd-place winner of KVR's DC12 , g200kg's Kamioooka- both free and not outrageously
                intimidating. You're welcome to drape many patch cords around your neck, if using software starts feeling too virtual :P
                Last edited by Duckett; 12-19-2012, 08:17 PM. Reason: added software links
                "Critics can’t stand these records, by and large, because in their search for eternal adolescence, they still want it all to be spunky and manic and witty."
                -Brian Eno

Comment

Having tried out AAlto last night, I just got a WHOLE LOT more interested in it!!! That was fun. Give it a shot, you'll know what I mean! As far as actual physical patch cables and some serious hardware is concerned? Not in this lifetime but with software I'm learning so if I ever do get a rig like that I'll know where to start! :wink:
                  Synphaera Records
                  Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
                    Having tried out AAlto last night, I just got a WHOLE LOT more interested in it!!! That was fun. Give it a shot, you'll know what I mean! As far as actual physical patch cables and some serious hardware is concerned? Not in this lifetime but with software I'm learning so if I ever do get a rig like that I'll know where to start! :wink:
                    I was pretty overwhelmed with Modular synthesis at first, but after a while it starts to make sense. Eventually I want to save up and start building a Euro-rack modular! My modular synthesis journey started with using virtual modulars (Arp2600v, Moog Modular V, Legacy Korg MS20, Reason etc) and studying lots of synthesis articles. I think once you get the concept of signal flow, your life begins to get a lot easier when it comes to making patches. It is also fun to use a semi-modular and just run amok patching a cable here and there!

U-he ACE and Bazille are also excellent to learn on if you are ever interested in learning more than Aalto!

I mean the whole beauty of a real modular synthesizer is that you can mix up your sound modules and create your own synthesizer! It might seem complex, but when you break down a pre-built synth like the mini-moog you already have the same components that you might have in a very simple modular such as your Voltage controlled Oscillators, Envelopes, Attack Decay Sustain Release etc. It's true that with patch cables you are limited to not being able to recall a patch, and some might see this as a big big step backwards, but the plus to all of this is that you can create sounds that just aren't possible in a closed synthesizer system.

Also playing with Real Analog synthesis is a real pleasure to work with, and once you push them hard enough you will definitely hear what sets them apart from virtual ones. ;)
                    Last edited by V0RT3X; 12-27-2012, 11:24 AM.

Comment

I am thinking about this at the moment, getting some hardware. The tinkering appeals to me and I'd like to spend at least a little bit of time not attached to a computer. Besides modular synthesis as such being intimidating, there is so much it is hard to decide where to begin. I don't know whether to start with something semimodular like a Kraftzwerg, or get something like a Make Noise System 0 and Silent Way.

I'll probably end up with a Minibrute:roll:

Comment

I'm exploring modular synthesis a lot at the moment with reaktor and Clavia's Nord G2 demo, which is excellent for learning to program modular synths with some limitations...

As I mentioned in the gear thread though, I'm still undecided on weather I want to invest in an actual hardware modular system module by module, or just drop the money on the Scope DSP system with modular IV, which the more I think about the more I'm tending to lean towards... hmmm choices are hard. :dunno:
                        facebook | last.fm | soundcloud

A composer is a guy who goes around forcing his will on unsuspecting air molecules, often with the assistance of unsuspecting musicians. - FZ

Comment

One of the deciding factors for me is... would I still be running anything software-based five years from now? Possibly. Ten years from now? Maybe. Longer than that? Doubt it.

Whereas I can see having something hardware based for a much longer time.

On the one hand with the Modular IV you get all your modules right away. With hardware it's going to take a while to build up that many modules!

Get both! :wink:
                          My Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/sequent7

Comment

Originally posted by teezdalien View Post
                            I'm exploring modular synthesis a lot at the moment with reaktor and Clavia's Nord G2 demo, which is excellent for learning to program modular synths with some limitations...

As I mentioned in the gear thread though, I'm still undecided on weather I want to invest in an actual hardware modular system module by module, or just drop the money on the Scope DSP system with modular IV, which the more I think about the more I'm tending to lean towards... hmmm choices are hard. :dunno:
                            One nice thing about virtual stuff, is that if you need to travel lots that you won't have to worry too much about lugging around a huge modular synth.

Comment

The same with Mellotrons. We used to have to carry those things around. The one we had was very sensitive to all kinds of things.
                              Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Working...
                              X