Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody interested in Modular synthesis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As I don’t use any external soundsources it is not important for me to tune my synth more than internally…
    I only use my ears :canthearyou:
    https://goo.gl/iMXRIc

Comment

• Tuning, I highly recommend you pick up one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VICTOR-VC921...-/171122637723

The dial setting is a hard to read red color, but it is rare for a multi-meter to display frequency and its under $15.

It is very fast and acurate for the price. I replaced the leads with 3.5mm jacks so I could plug in my modular cables. Works great!

Dr. Sketch-n-Etch who designs for Intellijel (one of my favorite module companies) posted about this a few years ago.

Since purley analog oscillators drift, I am manic about tuning. I have used up to 6 oscillators in a patch and 2 x Quanitmators for quantizing (6 pitches).

Comment

• Originally posted by Codehead View Post
        Tuning, I highly recommend you pick up one of these:

www.ebay.com/itm/VICTOR-VC921-3-3-4-DMM-Multimeter-Pocket-Digital-lcd-Multimeter-Frequency-/171122637723

The dial setting is a hard to read red color, but it is rare for a multi-meter to display frequency and its under $15.
        Wow, that seems a little bargain if it's accurate like you say?

My aging DMM doesn't have freq or capacitance (or continuity come to that) so could be a neat impulse buy. Wary of cheap DMMs as many are just downright dangerous in how they handle higher currents but I guess not an issue if it doesn't have a current setting.

Thanks.
        Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

• Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
          Originally posted by Ahornberg View Post
          How did you get the tuning right?
          Hi Birgit,

Only by using the tuner in Guitar Rig... Nothing too special. From then on, it's 1 volt per octave, to give you standard western tuning.

I'm not sure how you would go about tuning to your micro tonal stuff, although I think I've seen it being discussed over at the muff wiggler forum.

cheers

andy
          Unfortunately I don't own a hardware synth but some software like Softube's Modular and ACE and ... as you mentioned "microtonal" I thought about how this could be done and it's quite easy just by attenuating the CV signal that carries the pitch information! Now I'm going to patch something up :thumbsup:
          ahornberg.bandcamp.com
          soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

• Originally posted by GaryG View Post
            Originally posted by Codehead View Post
            Tuning, I highly recommend you pick up one of these:

www.ebay.com/itm/VICTOR-VC921-3-3-4-DMM-Multimeter-Pocket-Digital-lcd-Multimeter-Frequency-/171122637723

Wow, that seems a little bargain if it's accurate like you say?

My aging DMM doesn't have freq or capacitance (or continuity come to that) so could be a neat impulse buy. Wary of cheap DMMs as many are just downright dangerous in how they handle higher currents but I guess not an issue if it doesn't have a current setting.

Thanks.
            This won't replace a general duty dmm. I use it only for frequency and dcv on my modular. It is accurate .... but that is relative. It certainly isn't a scientific instrument, but it will get within a couple cents. Most importantly it fast and since you are using frequency and not diatonic notes (guitar tuner), it allows to be more creative with your scales (micro-tonal). Replacing the ends with a jack makes it really quick and easy.

Comment

• Microtonal Modular Madness II

the name says it all :listening:
              ahornberg.bandcamp.com
              soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

• I'll have a word with a mate at the office about that Metropolis. He used to gig with one of those. He never mentioned timing problems, but I think he has sold/replaced it now anyway.
                Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

• Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
                  Thanks to the Peeps that have managed to get round to listening to my two latest modular based tracks on SoundCloud. I had a very busy Modular Day yesterday.
                  I came to a decision yesterday... Create a patch... Record it... Then pull all the cables out. Straight away!
                  I do the same! Once I'm happy with a patch, I track it right then, and then clean up. Sometimes, I'll leave the cables in until the start of the next session, which I start once I pull them all out.
                  https://interfacetypeseven.bandcamp.com/
                  https://soundcloud.com/interface-type-seven/
                  https://squibbex.bandcamp.com/
                  https://soundcloud.com/johnsquibb

Comment

• Originally posted by Ahornberg View Post
                    and it's quite easy just by attenuating the CV signal that carries the pitch information!
                    Ah, yes, I guess that should do it, but would you need quite a fine range over that CV attenuation? I'm still learning the ropes and I've only ever used the "normal" 1V/Oct control...
                    I may not post anything useful, but at least I do it often

Latest release - Anomaly available on Bandcamp

Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

• Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
                      I'll have a word with a mate at the office about that Metropolis.
                      Thanks Tim, that would be great

Comment

• Originally posted by interface_type_seven View Post
                        I do the same! Once I'm happy with a patch, I track it right then, and then clean up. Sometimes, I'll leave the cables in until the start of the next session, which I start once I pull them all out.
                        Excellent! I'm on the right track then :D

My Disting Mk3 has just landed.........

:biggrin:

(I'm working though, so will have to wait until much later on)

Comment

• Not particularly interesting... I just wanted to see if the Disting worked, at least one of the many parts of it anyway:-

https://youtu.be/ZoI5IX-nlEQ

Comment

• you're going to have to ban me from this topic :biggrin:

I'll cut'n'paste the track description here just in case you want to listen in browser:-

Just another Mad Experiment.

This time it is from the Modular Time Machine 01 V1.2

Modules used:-

Metropolis (plays simple sequence - C1, B0b, D1, C1, E1, B0b, F0, F1 at 100 BPM)
                            Disting Mk3 as a VCO with waveshaping (algorithm 4D, output B [pulse > square > pulse])
                            A-110-1 VCO, triangle
                            Wasp VCF
                            A-120 VCF
                            Two off A-140 ADSR Env Gens
                            A-145 LFO
                            A-146 LFO2
                            Malekko Buffered Multi
                            A-180-1 multi
                            A-138b Mixer

Pitch CV from Metropolis fed to buffered multi and from there to each of the CV inputs of VCOs. The A-110-1 was pitched an octave higher than the Disting.

Gate from Metropolis to A-180-1 mult then on to each of the gate inputs of the two ADSR

Disting B output to Wasp filter

A-110-1 output to A-120 filter

Both filter outs sent to A-138b Mixer then on to my QUAD-CAPTURE so that I could record in Sonar where much delay and reverb was added

A-145 LFO sine wave out to A-120 CV3 in
                            A-145 LFO triangle out to Disting Y input to modulate waveshape

A-146 LFO2 triangle out to Wasp CV2 in

ADSR 1 output to Wasp CV1 in

ADSR 2 output to A-120 CV2 in

LFO and LFO2 frequencies were both long-ish, but different.

As well as the LFOs modulating the filters, I also carried out some manual wiggling.

I also messed with the pulse count and gate mode of the Metropolis.

Twelve minutes passed in less than 89 seconds.

Headphones might be an idea but, to be honest, I doubt you'l make it very far :-D

Comment

• Oil

A little bit of noise:

ahornberg.bandcamp.com
                              soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

• Here is an old pic.

Modular after dark:

Comment

Working...