Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody interested in Modular synthesis?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by synkrotron View Post
    Here is a very short (for me)

Nice to hear from your modular synth. Sweet sounds and a nice sequence.
    Now when you have been into modular synth for a while, what would you say is the most difficult part / biggest problem … etc?
    Evaluation time!

Last edited by gis_sweden; 05-04-2018, 05:21 AM.
    https://goo.gl/iMXRIc

Comment

• Originally posted by gis_sweden View Post

Nice to hear from your modular synth. Sweet sounds and a nice sequence.
      Now when you have been into modular synth for a while, what would you say is the most difficult part / biggest problem … etc?
      Evaluation time!
      Thank gis_sweden

As for most difficult part/biggest problem, there are a few haha

Evaluation time is one of them... But so is budget, and only getting stuff that you need, rather than what you want, so, I guess that comes back to evaluation time

And then time in general. You may have noticed that on Modular Grid I call our system the Modular Time Machine, and for good reason. Once I power it up time just flies by, it is so much fun. Learning what all that stuff can do is also time consuming. Not so much the likes of the normal VCOs, VCAs, VCFs, LFOs, EGs, and stuff, been using that stuff for years, but the bigger and more unusual modules like Metropolis, Elements, Warps and now Pressure Points + Brains, which my son bought last week. They are simple enough to get started on but to get the most out of them you have to delve deeper into them and suss out all of the different functions and ways of using them.

cheers

andy
      Bandcamp // SoundCloud // YouTube

Comment

• I'm mostly doing new work with the volcas, beats, kick, bass, keys, fm and sample. They make me very happy in fact I've never been happier. I'm combining with looped vocals and a few other bits and bobs. getting more and more pulled into ideas of modular synthesis and looking forward to playing about more. Going to be having a play with a mescalin (Folk Tek) next week. Very excited.
        It's all an illusion.

https://soundcloud.com/skyhighdiamonds

Comment

• I've seen a number of your vids on FB--you look like you are having a great time, making great works.

Comment

• Field recording and some modular sounds.

Comment

• Hey Folks heres a couple of new ambient pieces, been enjoying listening to your patches Gis & Andy

https://soundcloud.com/ultram-music

Comment

•  

Comment

• another eurorack fan here

Comment

• Originally posted by Ultram View Post
                    Hey Folks heres a couple of new ambient pieces, been enjoying listening to your patches Gis & Andy
                    Hiya David

Apologies for not reading your posts sooner... I've been a little bit absent here lately while putting more and more time into learning my system.

Loving Soft Places #11... This is something I would love to aim for but I am currently missing the target by a mile. Funny thing, in a way, that the modules we have can very much influence what we create, rather than the other way round. At least that's how it works for me haha!.

I had already listened to Dream Spaces #13 and left a comment there.

A couple of modules I have on my radar now are Pam's, uClouds and that E352. Quickly running out of space now, though, and can't think if I should go for some smaller utility modules or go all out for the 352 and to hell with it haha.

cheers

andy

Comment

• Originally posted by synkrotron View Post

Hiya David

Apologies for not reading your posts sooner... I've been a little bit absent here lately while putting more and more time into learning my system.

Loving Soft Places #11... This is something I would love to aim for but I am currently missing the target by a mile. Funny thing, in a way, that the modules we have can very much influence what we create, rather than the other way round. At least that's how it works for me haha!.

I had already listened to Dream Spaces #13 and left a comment there.

A couple of modules I have on my radar now are Pam's, uClouds and that E352. Quickly running out of space now, though, and can't think if I should go for some smaller utility modules or go all out for the 352 and to hell with it haha.

cheers

andy
                      No problem, only posted this a few days ago, which is a speedy reply for this forum :-)

I hear you man, What does your system look like these days? do you have Rings? I know it's a cliché Rings into Clouds but fuck it if it sounds so bloody good I don't care :-)
                      So much modular music out there is just glitch noise and beats (not a bad thing I suppose) but I always come back to Ambient, It's the music that speaks to me. It's the same with a DAW and the general orientation towards beats. I watched a really good talk from Ableton Loop conference with the sound designer Francis Prevé lots of good info about approaching sound design. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BM0...8&pbjreload=10

I'm coming to the point where I'm realising more and more that less is more. But in terms of getting where you want to be it's the force that propels us as artists. Most of my patches are pretty mediocre, I have a tendency to over patch and then get effed off and rip it all out... but trying learning restraint.

Did you see the BBC Documentary on Minimalism 2 parter well worth the watch.

I think I read somewhere that uBurst is the better one to go for (could be wrong so check the forums) Clouds is a tough nut to crack it's deep but when is sounds good it's heavenly.
                      The E352 is a whole world I find it particularly good for higher register sounds, It does need filtering as it can get harsh. Thats another thing not taking into account when buying a voice all the other supporting modules one needs. Ho Hum. Re Pams so very useful can do such a lot in a small system.

Re Brighton Modular Meet. I'm playing at Cafe Plenty on the 30th with a whole group of other geeks and going to bring my Rack on the Sunday so if you do make it come say Hello.

David

Comment

• Hiya Ultram

Our system is currently looking like this:-

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/678301

A couple of months ago we decided to invest in a second case so though the Doepfer LCB would work well with the existing LC9.

We then went a bit mad, spending quite a bit of cash, very quickly, and now there is just 44hp to go. Going to think very carefully about that last bit of space...

Thanks for the Francis Prevé link. I'll watch that when I have an hour spare.

Been busy, again, tonight, experimenting with my latest purchases. I decided I needed a switching sequencer and I was pointed towards the ADDAC 206. So I had a play with that tonight using it with the Harmonaig to sent a sort of quantized sequence to Elements. And I suppose that answers your question about Rings, because, no I don't have Rings as I happened upon Elements first and was quite taken by it and the sounds it can make.

I also purchased the MengQi Dual Passive Low Pass Gate as I felt I wanted to experiment with creating better percussive sounds and I had read on MW that this was a good choice. However, after tonight's effort, I am struggling to get the kick I desire. A bit disappointing but I must stick with it. I could simply get a drum module but I would rather have a go at creating my own. The snare type sound isn't too bad, I don't think.

I agree that, yes, less is more, but I am coming at this from the other end of the spectrum at the moment and I am chucking everything, plus the kitchen sink at my current experimentations. I am hoping that as I become more comfortable with my modules I will start to trim things back and get back into making more sort of ambient stuff.

Regarding Brighton Modular Meet... I haven't planted the seed with my missus yet... Might be a non-starter but it would be great if I could make it there. From past experience (last summer) Brighton is quite a difficult place to camp up in in a motorhome. It is such a popular place that you have to book well in advance.

Right... Time for bed! Catch you later,

cheers,

andy

Oh, here are two of my latest "sketches" on SoundCloud:-

and

Comment

• my latest improvisation on u-he Bazille
                          ahornberg.bandcamp.com
                          soundcloud.com/ahornberg

Comment

• Some ambientish. (I hate ...ish. Over used - even in Swedish. No, I'm not referring to the last letter in Swedish)
                            I patched up a drone machine Even thou atonal and generative I find the resulting drones relaxing. I recorded for 1 h and got 35 short drones.
                            Generative music makes the music you shouldn’t have done yourself. Sounds line "art installation music"

How do you link to a youtube video?

Comment

• Just made a Ambient tribal track. Loving Plaits and Marbles

Comment

• I've mentioned our modular setup elsewhere, but here we go on this thread. ;-)

Basically, we have quite a bit of Eurorack kit. The third photo is my brother's system, the rest of the photos are mine. The larger cabinet (second photo) is under construction. I've built most of it - over 85% - three years with a soldering iron. 9 sequencers (soon to be 11) which are all switchable with one control unit, 14 oscillators and God knows how many filters. We're planning some podcasts later but basically have no intentions of playing live - not with this amount of gear. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                                X