hardware loopers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hardware loopers

Anyone use them for improvisation, and if so..what's a good one? I'm hoping to not spend that much money, so far the Boss modes and Digitech Jamman look like the best bet, but i'd really like to hear more detail if anyone improvises live with these, or even just uses them regularly in their music.

I am also on the lookout for a looper. Maybe a TC ditto would fit the bill. The Vox units also have microphone input. Any recommendations or shared experience would be welcome.
    Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

I have one...the Ditto from TC and love it. Going to use it live coming up here very shortly. They JUST came out with a new model, the Ditto X2! Looks amazing. If you're looking for simplicity with some very cool features (which I haven't tried yet, but want to!) check out the X2.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/ditto-x2-looper/

Cheers,
      -S1gns
      Synphaera Records
      Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Originally posted by S1gnsOfL1fe View Post
        I have one...the Ditto from TC and love it. Going to use it live coming up here very shortly. They JUST came out with a new model, the Ditto X2! Looks amazing. If you're looking for simplicity with some very cool features (which I haven't tried yet, but want to!) check out the X2.

http://www.tcelectronic.com/ditto-x2-looper/

Cheers,
        -S1gns
        The Ditto X2 is an awesome looper for sure. A friend recently got one and it does some seriously cool stuff for a looper in that price range! If you're not looking for a dedicated looper you may want to check out Akai Headrush or Line6 DL4 (both awesome delay pedals, too).

I have a Pigtronix Infinity Looper on my pedalboard (for guitar). It is a nice tool for songwriting and improvisation. I bought it so that I can perform my music using live looping, though. It's a pricy piece of gear, but it sounds amazing, has 2 seperate loops which can be used in parallel or series, has good midi sync, the ability to store loops, and Pigtronix offers great customer support. i couldn't be happier.

Comment

I just realised this thread was in the Mobile Apps and Hardware forum, so I have moved it to the Hardware forum with a 1 week expiring link from its original location.

I'm going to have to look at some of these units in the shop sometime.

I really liked the look of the Strymon Timeline, but it was quite expensive and may be overkill for my needs.
          The TC Ditto X2 looks very nice and is a reasonable price, but TC also make a Flashback X2 combined delay/looper which doesn't cost much more, and talks MIDI. None of these appear to have a Mic input.

Gonna have to think about this some more :hmmm:
          Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

So after looking at the options for a while, it's come down to (I think) the Boss RC 30, or the TC Flashback x4...I have looked at other models..the trouble is, I need a capable looper as well as delay to replace Ambiloop, which is what I use right now. Anyone have experience with either of these pedals? I believe if I go with the RC 30 I will need to buy an additional delay pedal.

Another question, is possible/feasible to plug an entire mixer (via an RCA to 1/4 inch adapter etc.) into something like one of these pedals? This is essentially what i'm doing now only instead of a hardware looper, Ambiloop....it seems like the only way I could get the same functionality in terms of looping with multiple instruments.

Alternately, i'm starting to wonder about doing a laptop running ambiloop instead, the truth is I have a deep hatred for messing with screens during the actual act of music creation - which is why I wanted to go the route of a pedal - tactile stuff. If there's no way to do what I want pedal-wise though, I may be looking at the laptop option.
            Last edited by Zach Zinn; 04-21-2014, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zach Zinn View Post
              So after looking at the options for a while, it's come down to (I think) the Boss RC 30, or the TC Flashback x4...I have looked at other models..the trouble is, I need a capable looper as well as delay to replace Ambiloop, which is what I use right now. Anyone have experience with either of these pedals? I believe if I go with the RC 30 I will need to buy an additional delay pedal.
              The X4 has a switch on it to switch from delay to looper mode. I don't know that I've seen a delay pedal that will function as both at once, so you will probably need both if you want both. Maybe a multieffect floorboard or the big Line 6 delay modeler would be a one stop shop. The Boss RC-300 looper has a delay effect, actually, and it's a lot better spec'd than the one in the RC-30. Have you looked into the 300?

Originally posted by Zach Zinn View Post
              Another question, is possible/feasible to plug an entire mixer (via an RCA to 1/4 inch adapter etc.) into something like one of these pedals? This is essentially what i'm doing now only instead of a hardware looper, Ambiloop....it seems like the only way I could get the same functionality in terms of looping with multiple instruments.
              According to TC the Flashback works with line level (the mixer will output this level), since they won't guarantee against clipping (like with the nova delay) I'd watch the mixer's master level.
              Last edited by KrisM; 04-21-2014, 11:11 AM.
              Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisM View Post

The X4 has a switch on it to switch from delay to looper mode. I don't know that I've seen a delay pedal that will function as both at once, so you will probably need both if you want both. Maybe a multieffect floorboard or the big Line 6 delay modeler would be a one stop shop. The Boss RC-300 looper has a delay effect, actually, and it's a lot better spec'd than the one in the RC-30. Have you looked into the 300?
                Hmm, the Rc 300 is simply out of my price range. Basically, as long as I can create a loop with a delay effect, then play over it with delay, that would work...it sounds like the flashback can do that, is that right?

According to TC the Flashback works with line level (the mixer will output this level), since they won't guarantee against clipping (like with the nova delay) I'd watch the mixer's master level.
                Yeah, I have to worry about that now with Ambiloops, so I assume it'll be similar?

Comment

Eep, I thought the 300 was cheaper than the RC-505, I had it in my head that it was $300 not $550-$600 o.O

I don't think you can use the loop and delay at the same time on any of the TC TonePrint pedals. On the Flashback X4 it has that switch, and on the Flashback and its variants, the looper is a position on the algorithm/toneprint rotary.
                  Meh.

Comment

Eep, I thought the 300 was cheaper than the RC-505, I had it in my head that it was $300 not $550-$600 o.O

I don't think you can use the loop and delay at the same time on any of the TC TonePrint pedals. On the Flashback X4 it has that switch, and on the Flashback and its variants, the looper is a position on the algorithm/toneprint rotary.
                    Hmm, it's sounding more and more like the RC 30 and one or more delay pedals is probably my best option:(

Has anyone played with the cheap bheringer delays? I was thinking a couple of those plus the RC 30 might do it...they have decent reviews considering the price..

Comment

I have good news. I just read a review on the Flashback X4 that says:

"It also has an enhanced 60-second looper that allows all of the delay modes to be used while the looper is engaged"

http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/pedal-review-flashback-x4

It's also under $230 atm on Amazon if you want it new, and $181 from Pro Audio Star.
                      Last edited by KrisM; 04-21-2014, 02:33 PM.
                      Meh.

Comment

I have good news. I just read a review on the Flashback X4 that says:

"It also has an enhanced 60-second looper that allows all of the delay modes to be used while the looper is engaged"

http://proguitarshop.com/andyscorner/pedal-review-flashback-x4

It's also under $230 atm on Amazon if you want it new, and $181 from Pro Audio Star.

Ahah, thanks for checking!

Makes think, I need to just grab a couple of my (ancient, and thankfully portable) keyboards, my little 4 track mixer, and bring them into a music store, and see if they'll let me play with an x4 to make the final call.

Comment

The TC website says that the Flashback X4 has a 40-second looper. I think I'll probably go for the Ditto X2 with its 5-minute loop capability. I already have a Digitech and Zoom delay FX so I can use these while I get used to the looper.

Comment

Originally posted by seismic1 View Post
                            The TC website says that the Flashback X4 has a 40-second looper. I think I'll probably go for the Ditto X2 with its 5-minute loop capability. I already have a Digitech and Zoom delay FX so I can use these while I get used to the looper.

5 Minutes? Does this mean you could repeat one 5 minute loop (theoretically, obviously 5 minute long loop barely qualifies to the ear as a loop), or something different?

Just trying to figure out, when they give the time frame - say 40 seconds, that is max loop time right, and nothing else?

Comment

I was originally planning on using this thing with my guitar and just noodling around with a view to pulling the audio back into the daw for subsequent processing. It should be great for ambient, at least in theory. Obviously, 5 minutes s a little OTT for most purposes (40 seconds would probably suffice for most purposes). But then I started thinking about it. I have a Roland TD4-K drum kit, a bass guitar, 3 guitars, hardware synth, etc. A 5 minute looping capability would allow me to "jam" with myself. I love playing bass and and it's even more fun with a drummer. With the unlimited overdub facility, the undo/redo button and some fancy footwork I could probably sketch out some decent groove ideas.

The 40 second loop time on the X4 is just that, the maximum loop time. I imagine the delay periods on there are much shorter.

My definition of a looper is a delay unit that allows you to go to the bathroom and return before the next cycle begins

Comment

Working...
                              X