I am interested in hydrophones...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am interested in hydrophones...

...does anybody here have experience in that field? What to look for? Any affordable brands - recommendations for hydrophones, etc? So far I feel like it's a very specialized market and I haven't found much "authoritative" statements - I wouldn't even know where to turn to buy one. I'd appreciate any input!
    www.soundcloud.com/phoenstorm

We use them on our boats for recording seismic impulses, thousands at a time. I don't know much about them. I do know that there are hydrophones for differing uses. Have you seen Aquarian Audio's website?

http://www.aquarianaudio.com/recordings.html
    Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

Thanks! I hadn't seen aquarian audio & I guess I'll go & see whether I can find sth equivalent in Germany, but that was a cool recommendation - it's one of the few pages I've seen that actually includesthe prices for that sort of equipment! On a different note - "we use them on our boats for recording seismic impulses, thousands at a time" - that sounds cool....waiting for a blog post with more on that ;-) so it's more than a avatar/online-name have you used these recordings for your music before? You probably know this already, but back then it was widely stated that the white noisish intro to the song "Cluster One" on Pink Floyd's The Division Bell is actually a a recording of the earth's crust cracking. I just checked & that story is all over the internet...just my seismic 2cents for the day. Let me know what you think about that ;).

Comment

I would imagine that this sort of technology is also produced in Europe given that there seem to be a lot of Norwegian companies active in the field. I've never really thought about using seismic data as an audio source given the complexities involved in the various data formats used (header data, multiplexing, etc.). Besides, it's too much like work:canthearyou: . Most of the human interaction involves inspecting visual representations of the data and selecting optimal algorithmic sequences and their correct parameters which would result in attenuated noise and a more focused view of an area of interest, sometimes kilometres below ground level or the water-bottom.

Here is a link to a brief overview of the seismic shenanigans:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflection_seismology

I stopped listening to Floyd a long time ago, so I had to dig that one out. I think those sounds could plausibly be due to tectonic movement, but I think some sort of processing has probably been performed to enhance the sound.

In seismic processing we tend to focus on frequencies between 10-90Hz
        Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

If you're up for a little DIY then Leafcutter John has instructions for making one from a tin can and a couple of piezo elements etc:

http://leafcutterjohn.com/?page_id=957

Another thing I have bookmarked and never got around to trying.
          Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

fascinating! but so far no soldering iron in the house... .

Comment

Working...
            X