From software to hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mux View Post
    I'm all hardware except for recording on PC at 48k. And I master it onto MD that's my sorta 'tape compression'.
    I remember a thread once (prob. at KvR) where someone was asking if there was an 'MP3 emulator' plugin so they could get that squished/splashy treble sound you get on highly compressed MP3s... It's the new tape warmth obviously. ;)
    Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Old skool ;)) definately sounds better over a 56k modem
      Yello - The Eye
      https://youtu.be/XAWFWYjx38Q

Comment

Industrial made with an MPC Live - something without the usual drums:

argyre planitia: The Atomic Age - Soundcloud - Youtube - Petroglyph Music - Bandcamp

Comment

If money is no object, I would recommend Elektron instruments. They just released their new digitakt sampler and are revamping some of their older products, but there is a lot you can do with their stuff when you think outside the box. Dunno if it's your style, but check'em out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sky High Diamonds View Post
            I'm making a transition from being fully reliant on a computer to exploring bits of hardware to play/experiment live with.

Do you have any favourite bits of hardware to recommend? I am specifically interested in those that can be run through a mixing desk and avoid a computer completely. I do need to find a machine to create and sequence solid beats (I realise ambient doesn't generally contain beats but occasionally my works do) and I prefer knobs and flashing lights to keys.

Am just being open to any ideas for set ups that might work.

I have recently acquired a big mixing desk tho so anything that can be utilised with that would be great to hear about. Cheers!
            I think you have basically two options that can make a transition easy. Both of these will allow you to create music on the device by itself, but also allow you to expand with hardware in the future.

1. A Groovebox.
            A groove box is typically a polyphonic synth with a multi-track sequencer. The Korg Electribes are a really affordable entry for a multi-track polyphonic groove box. They cost about $400. Elektron gear of course is something and there are numerous other things out there. One box that is particularly good for ambient I think is the older EMU Command Stations. They have 128 voice polyphony and 16 midi tracks. The synth engine is really good for ambient and pads since it has z-plane filters.

2. A keyboard Workstation
            Sort of overlooked these days, but I think in the studio these can still be very valuable, especially if you have good keyboard chops. The Roland FA-06 gets great reviews, but these do tend to be on the more expensive side.

3. Midi sequencer and models
            There has been a renaissance of midi sequencers lately. The Beatstep Pro is fantastic for a few hundred bucks. From there you can add almost any synth module to your chain. There are some other great sequencers out there too.

Comment

Originally posted by sup909 View Post

I think you have basically two options that can make a transition easy. Both of these will allow you to create music on the device by itself, but also allow you to expand with hardware in the future.

1. A Groovebox.
              A groove box is typically a polyphonic synth with a multi-track sequencer. The Korg Electribes are a really affordable entry for a multi-track polyphonic groove box. They cost about $400. Elektron gear of course is something and there are numerous other things out there. One box that is particularly good for ambient I think is the older EMU Command Stations. They have 128 voice polyphony and 16 midi tracks. The synth engine is really good for ambient and pads since it has z-plane filters.

2. A keyboard Workstation
              Sort of overlooked these days, but I think in the studio these can still be very valuable, especially if you have good keyboard chops. The Roland FA-06 gets great reviews, but these do tend to be on the more expensive side.

3. Midi sequencer and models
              There has been a renaissance of midi sequencers lately. The Beatstep Pro is fantastic for a few hundred bucks. From there you can add almost any synth module to your chain. There are some other great sequencers out there too.
              Thank you, I am still exploring so this is really useful
              It's all an illusion.

https://soundcloud.com/skyhighdiamonds

Comment

Buy Octatrack :D
                Long learning curve, but very rewarding and flexible machine which allows you to do very many different things.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadCat View Post
                  Buy Octatrack :D
                  Long learning curve, but very rewarding and flexible machine which allows you to do very many different things.
                  I love the Octatrack! It's a beautiful, beautiful thing, but, it's currently out of my budget and I have other gear to play with at mo, it is on my wish-list though. Apologies for the delay in replying!
                  It's all an illusion.

Comment

Too bad about the Octatrack being out of reach, it's pretty much ambient in a box, among other things.

Did you ever come up with a set up that works for you, though?
                    Meh.

Comment

Waldorf blofeld & Waldorf pulse 2? + Octotrack would be an infinite ambient dream *_*
                      bandcamp ||| rateyourmusic

Comment

Originally posted by Hypnagogue View Post
                        Octotrack would be an infinite ambient dream *_*
                        I'm still looking for a sampler and I adore everything about the Octotrack so I'm not ruling it out - ever! Other than that I am pretty sorted for hardware now with the Volcas and recently acquired a vintage synth. I hope to not become a hardware obsessive and collect endlessly though, I am getting some great sounds and rhythms out of what I have and have barely scratched the surface of what they can do, however, I have been told that the Volcas are merely a gateway drug to the Eurorack

It's all an illusion.

Comment

Originally posted by KrisM View Post

Did you ever come up with a set up that works for you, though?
                          I'm sorry I have only just seen this, yeahhhhhhh I did. I went back to my analog roots and bought a mixing desk and then went from there. I like Korg and small so went for the Volcas (no regrets), still finding my way around them, love the Kick and the Fm mainly, but the Bass too, oh I love them all and then went for nice old b-i-g vintage synth (cheap as chips) for a bit of midi mainly. I use vocal loopers in the set too and a bit of percussion, I think that's about it, just missing a decent sampler as the Volca Sample isn't quite there for sampling and it already has some great factory presets that would be a shame to lose to replace with own samples, plus I was advised not to cos I'd regret it. Still pondering the Octatrack tho, it's just something else altogether!
                          It's all an illusion.

Comment

I've been enjoying the short performances you posted on your facebook page. Keep 'em coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Sky High Diamonds View Post

I'm sorry I have only just seen this, yeahhhhhhh I did. I went back to my analog roots and bought a mixing desk and then went from there. I like Korg and small so went for the Volcas (no regrets), still finding my way around them, love the Kick and the Fm mainly, but the Bass too, oh I love them all and then went for nice old b-i-g vintage synth (cheap as chips) for a bit of midi mainly. I use vocal loopers in the set too and a bit of percussion, I think that's about it, just missing a decent sampler as the Volca Sample isn't quite there for sampling and it already has some great factory presets that would be a shame to lose to replace with own samples, plus I was advised not to cos I'd regret it. Still pondering the Octatrack tho, it's just something else altogether!
                              Yeah it's all' about your personal tastes. For example I don't like Korg's sound generally, and I don't like their gears, but I understand that in many cases Korg made good (also cheap) instruments, I simply don't like how they sounds. It is a stereotype in some cases,I know, but in my opinion, if you can, save your money and buy a monster like Octotrack.
                              Last edited by Hypnagogue; 11-05-2018, 10:13 PM.
                              bandcamp ||| rateyourmusic

Comment

Originally posted by Hypnagogue View Post

Yeah it's all' about your personal tastes. For example I don't like Korg's sound generally, and I don't like their gears, but I understand that in many cases Korg made good (also cheap) instruments, I simply don't like how they sounds. It is a stereotype in some cases,I know, but in my opinion, if you can, save your money and buy a monster like Octotrack.
                                In some ways I agree! However, when I was exploring all the options it was the Volcas that I found most intuitive. They were the tools that appealed to me the quickest without having to plough through a manual and YT tutorials, like I say they feel very intuitive and once I had bought 2 (the Bass and the FM) I got over excited about linking them up and syncing them all in together so it went from there and it was quite straightforward to get some interesting layers going straight away. I'm quite disappointed by the Volca Sample though, if I was going to replace any of them it would be that but saying that the more I find my way around it the more I realise it packs a little punch too. I know I haven't really scratched the surface of what these things can do. I'm quite drawn to Folktech, the Mescaline is a wonderful thing, but I think I have enough to tinker away on for now! I would need to spend a lot of time with the Octatrack before deciding if I could work with it or not (I probably can tho)
                                It's all an illusion.

Comment

Working...
                                X