Announcement

Collapse

Announcement

AVAILABLE NOW: Ambient Online Compilation: Volume 9 (Part One)

https://ambientonline.bandcamp.com/a...ume-9-part-one

NEW! You can now donate to Ambient Online using crypto currencies. Use the link below to get started.

https://1upcoin.com/donate/s1gnsofl1fe
See more
See less

From software to hardware

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mux View Post
    I'm all hardware except for recording on PC at 48k. And I master it onto MD that's my sorta 'tape compression'.
    I remember a thread once (prob. at KvR) where someone was asking if there was an 'MP3 emulator' plugin so they could get that squished/splashy treble sound you get on highly compressed MP3s... It's the new tape warmth obviously. ;)
    Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Old skool ;)) definately sounds better over a 56k modem
      Yello - The Eye
      https://youtu.be/XAWFWYjx38Q

Comment

Industrial made with an MPC Live - something without the usual drums:

Soundcloud - Youtube - Petroglyph Music - Bandcamp

Comment

If money is no object, I would recommend Elektron instruments. They just released their new digitakt sampler and are revamping some of their older products, but there is a lot you can do with their stuff when you think outside the box. Dunno if it's your style, but check'em out.

Comment

Originally posted by Sky High Diamonds View Post
            I'm making a transition from being fully reliant on a computer to exploring bits of hardware to play/experiment live with.

Do you have any favourite bits of hardware to recommend? I am specifically interested in those that can be run through a mixing desk and avoid a computer completely. I do need to find a machine to create and sequence solid beats (I realise ambient doesn't generally contain beats but occasionally my works do) and I prefer knobs and flashing lights to keys.

Am just being open to any ideas for set ups that might work.

I have recently acquired a big mixing desk tho so anything that can be utilised with that would be great to hear about. Cheers!
            I think you have basically two options that can make a transition easy. Both of these will allow you to create music on the device by itself, but also allow you to expand with hardware in the future.

1. A Groovebox.
            A groove box is typically a polyphonic synth with a multi-track sequencer. The Korg Electribes are a really affordable entry for a multi-track polyphonic groove box. They cost about $400. Elektron gear of course is something and there are numerous other things out there. One box that is particularly good for ambient I think is the older EMU Command Stations. They have 128 voice polyphony and 16 midi tracks. The synth engine is really good for ambient and pads since it has z-plane filters.

2. A keyboard Workstation
            Sort of overlooked these days, but I think in the studio these can still be very valuable, especially if you have good keyboard chops. The Roland FA-06 gets great reviews, but these do tend to be on the more expensive side.

3. Midi sequencer and models
            There has been a renaissance of midi sequencers lately. The Beatstep Pro is fantastic for a few hundred bucks. From there you can add almost any synth module to your chain. There are some other great sequencers out there too.

Comment

Originally posted by sup909 View Post

I think you have basically two options that can make a transition easy. Both of these will allow you to create music on the device by itself, but also allow you to expand with hardware in the future.

1. A Groovebox.
              A groove box is typically a polyphonic synth with a multi-track sequencer. The Korg Electribes are a really affordable entry for a multi-track polyphonic groove box. They cost about $400. Elektron gear of course is something and there are numerous other things out there. One box that is particularly good for ambient I think is the older EMU Command Stations. They have 128 voice polyphony and 16 midi tracks. The synth engine is really good for ambient and pads since it has z-plane filters.

2. A keyboard Workstation
              Sort of overlooked these days, but I think in the studio these can still be very valuable, especially if you have good keyboard chops. The Roland FA-06 gets great reviews, but these do tend to be on the more expensive side.

3. Midi sequencer and models
              There has been a renaissance of midi sequencers lately. The Beatstep Pro is fantastic for a few hundred bucks. From there you can add almost any synth module to your chain. There are some other great sequencers out there too.
              Thank you, I am still exploring so this is really useful
              It's all an illusion.

https://soundcloud.com/skyhighdiamonds

Comment

Buy Octatrack :D
                Long learning curve, but very rewarding and flexible machine which allows you to do very many different things.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadCat View Post
                  Buy Octatrack :D
                  Long learning curve, but very rewarding and flexible machine which allows you to do very many different things.
                  I love the Octatrack! It's a beautiful, beautiful thing, but, it's currently out of my budget and I have other gear to play with at mo, it is on my wish-list though. Apologies for the delay in replying!
                  It's all an illusion.

https://soundcloud.com/skyhighdiamonds

Comment

Working...
                  X