Headphones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headphones

i need to get some new headphones for my projects but i cant afford to spend a fortune, can anyone recommend me something good?
    https://soundcloud.com/negativespectrum

My record label
    http://xenomorphrecords.bandcamp.com/

A friend bought a pair of Superlux 668Bs which are pretty excellent (generally really positive remarks on head-fi.org etc eg. http://www.head-fi.org/t/567037/revi...e-for-668b-681).

Was going to grab a pair but they've shot up in price on Amazon from ~£29 to £48 so waiting to see if this is just one of those occasional spikes. The Samson SR850 and Presonus HD7 are essentially the same phones as the 668B (same chinese factory I guess) with small differences in style etc. Both around the £29 mark.

A must for me is velour pads so I'd have to factor that in (~£12) if that's an issue for you too.
    Latest release: never to be repeated

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

I just bought a new pair of headphones.

Originally I wanted a pair of headphones I could compose ambient "on the go" with. I was quite happy with my BeyerDynamic 770 Pro's. I didn't think I needed anything better for the studio. So I did my research and discovered raving reviews for the Shure SRH840's. They are closed back, collapsable, and like I said everyone seems to love these. So two weeks ago I bought 'em.

I broke the Shure's in for a couple hours and then started doing A to B comparisons. IMMEDIATELY there was no comparison. I was shocked. The 840's were crisper, more detailed, less bass intensive and more balanced. I feel like I can compose in these headphones where as my 770's I don't feel as confident. My 840's win, and the 770's, which are still nice cans have been given a new title...my travel headphones.

Cheers.
      Synphaera Records
      Space | Time | Matter

Comment

Ooh, it was a spike, 668Bs down to £29 again so ordered a pair...

I like my aging AudioTechnicas fine (ATH40FSs or something...) but they are closed back so really wanted to try a pair of semi-open ones for a change, see if the 'more open soundstage' rhetoric is justified.

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Watching a pair of those superlux on ebay, the reviews seem good, are presonus cans any good?
          https://soundcloud.com/negativespectrum

My record label
          http://xenomorphrecords.bandcamp.com/

Comment

As I said earlier, I believe they're all very similar (668bs, HD7s, SR850s...), poking around head-fi throws up loads of rebadged versions with slightly different designs etc.

I think the samsons for the same price may be a little better, have proper adjusters I'm told whereas the Presonus' are just for show, maybe reflects overall on the quality of the design.

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

Well the 668Bs arrived, pretty good so far.

Not too tight and the pads are certainly no worse than many other budget phones (though will probably still get velour pads at some point). Nice big cups that don't squish your ears, comfy even with my glasses on.

Soundwise is good too, more detailed than my old ATs, hearing details in recent mixes I'd overlooked before. Decent bass but certainly not excessive. Certainly notice the semi-open aspect, doesn't have that hands-over-your-ears quality (not surprisingly )

Certainly lightweight but I wouldn't say plasticky though my one negative is the ear cups are very 'microphonic' I guess. Any knocks to the cable tend to be very audible.

So, from my hour with them so far, well worth £29. I'm not going to claim they're better than any sub £100 phones as others do but certainly better for music production than consumer phones of a similar price imo.
              Last edited by GaryG; 06-17-2013, 07:27 AM.

Hearthis | Soundcloud

Comment

I have been using Sennheiser HD280 Pro's for many years.

They last, sound decent, have a coiled cord that can stretch almost 10', and when the ear or head pads wear out, they can be replaced.

You can find them anywhere for $99

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Koss Porta-Pros. They are light and comfortable, only $50 USD (with a lifetime warranty) and sound great. There is a new version with the microphone and controls but compared to my the non-remote model, the wires are a bit thin and they cost a bit more too. Whenever anyone asks about headphones, these are the ones I always recommend.
                  https://soundcloud.com/steve-raizen
                  https://www.facebook.com/FrozenLonesome

Comment

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 205s that I use for QC'ing mixes. I find them to be quite tight and not that comfortable, but the sound is ok. I use them infrequently as my mixing is performed with the monitors. I use the Hifi and the phones for checking out the final mixes.
                    Whatsisname's Little Fluffy Clouds | Campsite | Hearthis | Orfium | SeismicTC | Twitter | Ello

Comment

AKG K702 headphones are excellent bang for the buck but you will be paying around $350.00

These are the next headphones I want to buy along with a Apogee Duet 2.
                      -=| (Youtube)|(Bandcamp)|(Ambient Online Forums)|=-

Comment

I acquired a pair of Sennheiser HD350 Pro phones earlier this year. I've been very pleased with them. They are comfortable and I think they sound pretty darn good. They were more pricey than I wanted to spend - somewhere between $250-300 at Guitar Center. You could maybe find them cheaper somewhere else.

Comment

Not cheap - but for my 50th birthday I was gifted enough money to buy a pair of Grado SR325i's.

Not comfortable - but I can hear sounds in my own music I could not hear before (even on a 1997 portable cd player).

Previous phones were beyerdynmics 991's - still running well but suffering feedback damage and 'rustle' on some low frequencies....
                          serenffordd.bandcamp.com
                          relaxedmachinery.ning.com/profile/SerenFfordd

Comment

Working...
                          X